Rats On Canal Bridge

ex Toon Army

Snapped this photo while stuck in traffic on the canal bridge on Sridonchai Rd. Anyone know of the significance or story behind these rats? (apart from canals/rats etc)

Cheers

Rats_bridge.jpg

Glad someone else is intrigued!! I have asked my wife several times about those rats and the deer on the other side and always get the response that they just look good!!!

Pied Piper of Chiang Mai perhaps?

JxP

I have to warn you - my posting in a thread seems to have a deadly effect on a discussion . . . . see my last post!!!

Snapped this photo while stuck in traffic on the canal bridge on Sridonchai Rd. Anyone know of the significance or story behind these rats? (apart from canals/rats etc)

Cheers

Rats_bridge.jpg

Glad someone else is intrigued!! I have asked my wife several times about those rats and the deer on the other side and always get the response that they just look good!!!

Pied Piper of Chiang Mai perhaps?

JxP

I have to warn you - my posting in a thread seems to have a deadly effect on a discussion . . . . see my last post!!!

:o No problem JxP I reckon I can live with that. Maybe your day is yet to come.

Thanks for your comments anyway.

eta

The deer and the rats are one of the seven auspicious signs that this was the right place to build Chiang Mai

The founding of the city is chronicled on a document which survives to the present day. According to the document, Mengrai asked two military allies for suggestions on where to establish the city. The divination process revealed seven auspicious signs which were thought to be favorable. These included the presence together of two white sambars, two barking white deer, and a family of five white mice. The fourth sign was the slope of the mountain to the east from the hills of Doi Suthep. The final signs were the presence of streams, rivers, and lakes that indicated an abundance of water. The full name of the new city was Nop Buri Si Nakhon Pingka Chiang Mai.

The deer and the rats are one of the seven auspicious signs that this was the right place to build Chiang Mai

The founding of the city is chronicled on a document which survives to the present day. According to the document, Mengrai asked two military allies for suggestions on where to establish the city. The divination process revealed seven auspicious signs which were thought to be favorable. These included the presence together of two white sambars, two barking white deer, and a family of five white mice. The fourth sign was the slope of the mountain to the east from the hills of Doi Suthep. The final signs were the presence of streams, rivers, and lakes that indicated an abundance of water. The full name of the new city was Nop Buri Si Nakhon Pingka Chiang Mai.

Many thanks for the info BA. Never a days passes when I'm not amazed by the usefullness of this Forum and the full spectrum of knowledge imparted therein. Keep up the good work.

Cheers and a Merry Christmas.