Thailand feels the Trump effect

webfact

Thailand feels the Trump effect

By Brian Klaas

Brian Klaas is a Fellow in Comparative Politics at the London School of Economics and author of “The Despot’s Accomplice: How the West is Aiding & Abetting the Decline of Democracy.”

BANGKOK: -- I arrived at Government House, the headquarters of Thailand’s military government, on a sweltering afternoon in mid-February. After convincing an assault-rifle packing solider that I wasn’t a confused tourist, I found my way to the office of the government’s spokesman.

While waiting for him to arrive, I got into a conversation with his colleague, Jesda Tivayanond. What did he think about President Trump? “It’s pretty clear he’s way out of his league,” Tivayanond said. “At the same time, he’s destroying America’s credibility globally. His attitude toward undermining media institutions is already rubbing off on the credibility of other institutions in the American government.”

I realized with astonishment that I, an American, had just been lectured about media freedom by a spokesperson for a military junta. I was stunned. After all, I had previously interviewed several journalists who had been repeatedly detained by Thailand’s junta for speaking truth to power. But it was hard to dispute Tivayanond’s point: Trump had recently upgraded his accusation of “fake news” to “very fake news,” and called the press “the enemy of the American people.” 

Full story: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/democracy-post/wp/2017/02/28/thailand-feels-the-trump-effect/

-- The Washington Post 2017-03-01

Jesda Tivayanond. What did he think about President Trump? “It’s pretty clear he’s way out of his league,” Tivayanond said. “At the same time, he’s destroying America’s credibility globally.

Thai's have been destroying Thailand credibility globally a lot longer then he been in office .. 

This story is from 'The Washington Post', the very purveyors of 'Fake News' itself. Jeff Bezos, & his CIA bisnis buddies, take every chance to distort. The 'enemy' isn't 'the news', as misrepresented, but the FAKE MEDIA, ie.. the W.Post!

1 hour ago, beachwalker said:

This story is from 'The Washington Post', the very purveyors of 'Fake News' itself. Jeff Bezos, & his CIA bisnis buddies, take every chance to distort. The 'enemy' isn't 'the news', as misrepresented, but the FAKE MEDIA, ie.. the W.Post!

Fake News, what a bit like Woodward and Bernstein with their story about Watergate! Come on don't fall for all the anti media propaganda!

1 hour ago, beachwalker said:

Another anti Trump story here on Thai Visa.

Copied and pasted from the ultra left wing Washington Post.

http://www.investors.com/politics/commentary/the-washington-post-takes-anti-trump-bias-to-a-new-level/

4 hours ago, Nicolas32 said:

Jesda Tivayanond. What did he think about President Trump? “It’s pretty clear he’s way out of his league,” Tivayanond said. “At the same time, he’s destroying America’s credibility globally.

Thai's have been destroying Thailand credibility globally a lot longer then he been in office .. 

Thailand is never backward looking on into the fray. 

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Another anti Trump story here on Thai Visa.

Copied and pasted from the ultra left wing Washington Post.

http://www.investors.com/politics/commentary/the-washington-post-takes-anti-trump-bias-to-a-new-level/

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:"ultra left wing Washington Post". Do you think, we are stupid? You must be one of the below average intelligent Trumpists. One day you will check it: Your hero is just a big-mouthed idiot .

3 hours ago, ujayujay said:

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:"ultra left wing Washington Post". Do you think, we are stupid? You must be one of the below average intelligent Trumpists. One day you will check it: Your hero is just a big-mouthed idiot .

Anyone who says/thinks that ALL news is true news or "fake news" ("fake news" which has NO meaning really other than to get people to ignore) is just wasting their mental bandwidth.  All news outlets and people have bias BUT there are good and bad articles in all the MSN and if you are convinced to not read any of them you should start shopping for a nice bridge in the UK too. 

I am absolutely astonished!  I had no idea that the Thai Government's spokesmen were so articulate.  I have to assume that the officials' comments were made in Thai and were elegantly translated into English by Brian Klaas, in which case I suspect that he has done so with a high degree of poetic licence, so much so, in fact, that we can probably disregard practically all he has reported.

15 hours ago, BigBadGeordie said:

Fake News, what a bit like Woodward and Bernstein with their story about Watergate! Come on don't fall for all the anti media propaganda!

That was 45 years ago and before Clinton made it legal for a corporation to own multiple news sources across all mediums.  Live in the now.

41 minutes ago, funandsuninbangkok said:

Wow

blaming Trump for the mess Thailand is in. 

WP is incredible

if Trump walked on water, headlines would be " Trump can't swim!"

I do agree that the Washington Post is incredible.

It's one of the most incredibly good news sources on the planet. 

No, they did not. They very clearly stated that now trump is in power, Thailand and a host of other countries will leverage his BS as excuses to not try to improve, or to lower their standards further.

If you can't read, don't try to write.

9 hours ago, funandsuninbangkok said:

Wow

blaming Trump for the mess Thailand is in. 

WP is incredible

if Trump walked on water, headlines would be " Trump can't swim!"

28 minutes ago, DualSportBiker said:

No, they did not. They very clearly stated that now trump is in power, Thailand and a host of other countries will leverage his BS as excuses to not try to improve, or to lower their standards further.

If you can't read, don't try to write.

Correct English - Thailand, and a host of other countries, ...

excuse should be singular in your sentence 

Try to - superfluous- just say not improve

no coma before or