Mae Sai / Mae Sot - Visa-exempt Out/In 2017 ??

Has anyone tried an out/in at Mae Sai or Mae Sot in 2017 with the new 2 visa-exempt overland limits per calendar year ?

Are they now letting people get a visa-exempt at these border points ? This year I have had no visa-exempts, though I did get one late last year around November at Chiang Kong after 2 days in Laos.

Before, visa-exempt was halted maybe around August 2014 or so at these 2 crossings as I remember. But has that changed currently ?

Edited by freedomnow

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Mae Sai is allowing them now.

For Mae Sot I am not sure since I can only recall one report of it being allowed now.

Great Ubonjoe, and to clarify, when they say 2 visa-exempts overland in 1 year, that is strictly a calendar year and not some arbitrary 'wrapping around 12 month period' from that day you come in backwards through say, 2017/16 ?

Edited by freedomnow

9 minutes ago, freedomnow said:

Great Ubonjoe, and to clarify, when they say 2 visa-exempts overland in 1 year, that is strictly a calendar year and not some arbitrary 'wrapping around 12 month period' from that day you come in backwards through say, 2017/16 ?

It is one calendar year. January 1st to December 31st. The new rule went into effect on January 1st.