Rabies outbreak detected in Nontaburi

webfact

Rabies outbreak detected in Nontaburi

NONTABURI, 2 February 2017 (NNT) - A rabies outbreak has been reported in Bang Kra Soh district of Nontaburi province after a dead canine was found with the disease. 

Kanittha Thittidilokrat of the Nontaburi Livestock Office announced that Bang Kra Soh is now a temporary rabies outbreak zone following the report of a dead canine. Bang Kra Soh will remain a risk zone until March 18th. 

Rabies is a viral disease that causes inflammation of the brain in humans and other mammals.

The area within a one-kilometer radius of the dead canine has also come under the livestock office’s close surveillance to prevent more infections. Livestock officials will also provide vaccination for dogs every three, seven, twenty-one and thirty days. 

They will continue to monitor the outbreak for the next six months to ensure no animals have contracted the virus. Locals have also been urged to report to the livestock office if they come across any dogs with rabies symptoms. 

People who have been bitten by a rabid dog must seek medical treatment immediately as the virus can be life-threatening. 

In addition to the preventive measures by the local livestock office, Nontaburi authorities will launch a mobile unit to provide the same vaccination for the animals across the province.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-03-02

32 minutes ago, fruitman said:

No good for tourism sir!

Not so sure about that. TAT can be relied upon to turn into something stupid to try to attract tourists. Thailand the hub of rabies!

17 minutes ago, katana said:

It's the red area on this Google map:

http://tinyurl.com/z5uywcl

Thanks a bunch!!  We're on the opposite side of the river and a bit south of there, but there must be several hundred stray dogs roaming our area.  The report says they plan to innoculate all the animals in the province... I presume the start date for that will be sometime before the year 3000...

1 hour ago, BkruaiRetiree said:

Thanks a bunch!!  We're on the opposite side of the river and a bit south of there, but there must be several hundred stray dogs roaming our area.  The report says they plan to innoculate all the animals in the province... I presume the start date for that will be sometime before the year 3000...

Better keep the kids indoors untill they caught all straydogs, cats, rats...

Actually i hope it spreads so they really have to get rid of the soidogs...how can you vaccinate all of them? They live in every abandoned corner and only come out at night.

But of course thailand waits untill it's too late, mai pen lai....

This is about the 3rd rabies outbreak reported in the news during the past 2 or 3 weeks. they appear to be scattered and not connected. 

Some dogs roam way more than a kilometer  so they can spead the desease over a very wide area in a short time. especially if one or two are in heat. good luck to the people living in the area. I would pen my animals up and dispose of any strays running loose in the area.

9 hours ago, BkruaiRetiree said:

Gotta love an optimist.