Second overstay

I'm On my second long overstay (first was 90 days and now it's 88 days). Other than having to pay the fine and being hassled, will I be blacklisted and not allowed into the country?  I was studying at a university but have not studied for 2 semesters and need to finish. What can I do?

18 hours ago, PeterGonz said:

By the way, I'm on my way to the airport to leave the country. I have some money in hand to pay fine and some in bank account. What I'm stressing over is whether or not I will be banned. 

Though not banned, if under the time-limit, you are very likely be questioned upon re-entry.  

I would get a Tourist Visa while you are out of the country, which will give you 60-days which you can extend for 30 days more.  Return with that plus 20K Baht in cash and/or travelers checks on your person.  Do not expect them to "let you go to an ATM."  Do not expect they will consider what your bank-book says.  If you don't have the cash, they have an excuse to not allow you back in and, given your overstays, they may very well have that intention.  Show the cash at the first sign of questioning - "helpfully" with a pleasant attitude - not "defiantly" and not without "proper respect."

Be ready to explain why you have returned - and I would suggest not saying you will be getting an ED visa next, as that is the same, in their ears, as saying, "I intend to take a job illegally in Thailand."  This is just how ED visas are viewed by immigration, regardless of your intent.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Though not banned, if under the time-limit, you are very likely be questioned upon re-entry.  

I would get a Tourist Visa while you are out of the country, which will give you 60-days which you can extend for 30 days more.  Return with that plus 20K Baht in cash and/or travelers checks on your person.  Do not expect them to "let you go to an ATM."  Do not expect they will consider what your bank-book says.  If you don't have the cash, they have an excuse to not allow you back in and, given your overstays, they may very well have that intention.  Show the cash at the first sign of questioning - "helpfully" with a pleasant attitude - not "defiantly" and not without "proper respect."

Be ready to explain why you have returned - and I would suggest not saying you will be getting an ED visa next, as that is the same, in their ears, as saying, "I intend to take a job illegally in Thailand."  This is just how ED visas are viewed by immigration, regardless of your intent.

Most places the OP can go for a tourist visa will probably ask for all that before issuing the visa.

4 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Most places the OP can go for a tourist visa will probably ask for all that before issuing the visa.

The consulate may want a bank-statement, flight-out, etc (depending on which one and/or what the personnel ate for breakfast that morning).  But the checkpoint-IO will want to see cash and/or travelers checks.  He should expect them to deny him if they can, to the letter of the regulations.  I would bring proof of overseas income, which may be evidenced in his bank-book, if the incoming funds are marked as not of Thai origin.

Just now, Thatduderay said:

From what I've heard you don't want to mess with immigration anymore and over stay.  I've heard that they've gotten pretty tough on over stayers.  I sure wouldn't want to end up in that situation.  

i hope so !!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thatduderay said:

Well actually it's possible to get banned from Thailand for like up to ten years depending on the length of time someone has over stayed.  If they're ever caught of course.  

great  !!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Goldbear said:

I don't know why you overstayed like that but you should really reconsider your strategy. Good luck. 

He said he did it twice just under the 90 day maximum which I believe if you over stay more than 90 days that's when they start banning people from what I've heard.  Personally I'd be scared to risk it for even 1 day I like living here to much to mess up a good thing.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Goldbear said:

Well and doing it twice wouldn't be what I would call a "mistake." That's a choice. But he's an adult and can do what he wants, accepting whatever consequences that go along with the choice. 

Yeah I doubt it was a mistake either but you never know things happen.  My first year here I really had to do a lot of research on the immigration rules because I didn't know anything and had I not been as proactive as I was I could have very easily made a huge mistake.  Before I retired I lived all over the world but I was working for the government back then and the rules are a lot stricter living abroad as a civilian I didn't realize how much until my first year here. Once you learn the rules it's not all that hard or complicated though.  

29 minutes ago, catman20 said:

great  !!!!!!!!!!

It's possible to clear blacklisting for the right price with the right lawyer. Really this has just created more opportunities for backhanders.

27 minutes ago, Goldbear said:

I'm Well and doing it twice wouldn't be what I would call a "mistake." That's a choice. But he's an adult and can do what he wants, accepting whatever consequences that go along with the choice. 

When I first got here the first thing I learned was that I had to leave the country every 90 days.  I'm on a non-o visa so I figured cool it's good for a year.  Then when I got here and I got that 90 day stamp at the airport I was thinking this must be a mistake my visa is good for a year.  Then I learned about the whole multiple entry thing.  So I did the border hops every 90 days for my first year here.  Now I just get an extension once a year and never have to leave the country unless I want to so it's nice now.  I didn't mind doing the border runs because it was cool to go see a little bit of Cambodia I had never been there before that.  

When it came time for my original visa to expire I was seriously considering leaving the country to get a new visa because I didn't know that it would be so easy to get the extension.  I thought that was going to be a nightmare but luckily I made the wise choice of getting the extension.  So that's what I do every year now then of course I learned about having to do the 90 day reports.  So I kind of learned everything I know by trial and error luckily I didn't make any errors.  I did my research ahead of time and just figured it out.  

When I first got my visa at the Thai Consulate in New York they didn't tell me that I'd have to leave the country every 3 months they just said "make sure that you report your address to immigration every 90 days".  I'm glad I'm through that first year and now I just live here and make sure I extend my permission to stay every year as early as possible.  Doing the 90 day report is actually really easy.  

I actually met my wife in the states 22 years ago she is actually a United States Permanent Resident, she was before we met.  I never thought we'd end up retiring here.  Now I'm glad she didn't get her U.S. Citizenship because now we can live here legally.  I almost did help her get her citizenship to because my job would always ask about that every 5 years whenever they'd do my periodic review for my security clearance, but now I'm glad I didn't.  In my old job they are very careful about people with foreign spouses because of the sensitivity of the position.  Since I was military they weren't as tough on me because a lot of us were married to foreigners but for the agency civilians with no military background it was very hard for them to keep a security clearance if they had a foreign spouse.    

13 hours ago, Thatduderay said:

Although I also don't understand why some people take so much pleasure in seeing other people get in trouble, like they've never made a mistake before.  

come on its not really that hard to keep your visa in order and up to date. not keeping your visa status up to date is NOT a mistake.

Edited by catman20
  • Like 1

Maybe a ban would teach you a lesson.  Really, how hard is it to keep track of the date you need to leave or report.  And you say your studying at University.  I'd say you haven't learnt much from your studies or life experiences.

The first thing I think you need to learn is how to count, you know, 1,2,3,4, etc., etc. then it would stop the need for you worries when it comes time to do whatever.  Just being sarcastic but you really do need to pick up your act or you may well not be allowed back in for some time.  Obey the rules and there will be no need for the questions. :wai:

• Like 2