US Embassy Refusing US Currency

oobar

I’m wondering if anyone else has experienced the following problem:

On a recent visit to the US Embassy, I was surprised that the Thai cashier would not accept my near-mint-condition 1996 series 100-dollar bill in payment of the $50 fee to have a document notarized.  When I insisted that the Embassy must honor all authentic US currency, an American employee then arrived to explain that the Embassy no longer accepts older currencies, because the Thai bank they use refuses to accept them.   I reiterated what seemed apparent – that it was beyond unreasonable that the US Government should refuse to accept valid US currency from  US citizens.   After a protracted exchange, centered on my refusal to accept the Embassy’s refusal, he spoke by phone to one of the Embassy’s accountants, who said they would accept my 100-dollar note, albeit at some added expense and inconvenience to the Embassy’s system.   I doubt that someone less inclined to haggle the issue would have succeeded in getting the Embassy to accept an “older” US note.  It should not be this way.

I have since contacted my Stateside attorney, and he said the law is clear.   Embassy personnel  need look no further than on the face of all Federal Reserve Notes, where it is prominently written that “THIS NOTE IS LEGAL TENDER FOR ALL DEBTS, PUBLIC AND PRIVATE.”  There is no expiration or “use-by” date, and the whim of a Thai bank not to accept certain foreign notes does not relieve the US Embassy of its obligation to follow US Federal law.

My wife and I, both US citizens, have a few more 1996 series 100-dollar notes remaining, and one of us will be returning soon to the US Embassy, our tax-supported island of service in Bangkok that all Americans expect to graciously respect our country’s currencies and laws.  We would rather not have to become demanding or outraged before the Embassy will accept its own currency.

You do know that the currency in Thailand is the Thai baht, not the US dollar? 

Before you go there next time why not do what everyone else does and change your dollars in to baht?  Perhaps the bottom line is that you know that you may not find any exchanges willing to take your old notes and so you just want to pass your problem on to the Embassy?

4 hours ago, gdgbb said:

You do know that the currency in Thailand is the Thai baht, not the US dollar? 

You do know that once you leave the sidewalk and cross into the office of the US Embassy you have technically left Thailand and are now in the United States.  You are no longer subject to Thai laws nor currency rules.  The OP is entirely correct and I applaud him for not letting the flunkies in the ACS bully him.

I have heard people having problems at US Consulates even with new series notes, just because they were partially worn the local banks refuse them.

Italy/ South Asia where many people stashing dollars are now sitting on notes that can only be traded with moneychangers at a steep discount!

Worst case you would have had to bring them back to the US and exchange them at the Treasury Dept. Good on ya' for sticking to your rights.

hard to believe that the ACS is passing their problems with thai banks onto citizens coming to them fer help...

disgraceful...the exclusively foreign earned income tax that I pay every year to the US Treasury regardless of my 30 year expat status can't cover that???...having a US passport is becoming more of a liability than an advantage...

better put the donald on it, quick like...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Even their outreach, remote visits have become a pita. They only accept bank drafts in the exact amount from certain banks... and if I recall properly two services require two separate drafts. This is from memory since their tactics will prevent me from using an outreach service. 

Glad you pushed them on accepting valid US currency, ignoring the fact that $50 for a notary service is crappy. Pricks...