Thai ATM debit with visa logo????

I finally got a free one...and I know of a few stores that only take Thai cards..Jampha for one.....do I just act like it is a credit card or do I need to specify it as a PIN debit transaction?  Usually, in the US you can just call it "credit" and not use your PIN.  Would like to know before I hold up the line and get grunted at.  Thanks!

Just hand it to the checkout clerk....the clerk will insert/swipe it....print out a receipt for signature for you to sign and you are done.

At a few stores like Tops if the purchase is a low baht amount like below Bt700 for a Visa card and below Bt1,000 for a Mastercard they may insert/swipe you card...you are done...no signature or PIN required as it's a low amount purchase.

No PIN entry will be required for a purchases at Thai merchants unless it's a UnionPay card and few Thai merchants accept UnionPay for purchases....they only accept Visa or Mastercard.

You have probably noticed the great, great majority of Point of Service (POS) machines which is what your card is stuck into to process the transactions is almost always stationed very close to the cash register...out of reach of the customer.   It's that way for reason: Thai merchants prefer "Chip & Signature", which is also used in other countries like the U.S., where no PIN entry is required and you just sign a receipt vs "Chip & PIN" where you the customer enters a PIN.

Summary: no PIN entry required for purchases; PIN entry required at ATMs.

9 minutes ago, Pib said:

Just hand it to the checkout clerk....the clerk will insert/swipe it....print out a receipt for signature for you to sign and you are done.

At a few stores like Tops if the purchase is a low baht amount like below Bt700 for a Visa card and below Bt1,000 for a Mastercard they may insert/swipe you card...you are done...no signature or PIN required as it's a low amount purchase.

No PIN entry will be required for a purchases at Thai merchants unless it's a UnionPay card and few Thai merchants accept UnionPay for purchases....they only accept Visa or Mastercard.

You have probably noticed the great, great majority of Point of Service (POS) machines which is what your card is stuck into to process the transactions is almost always stationed very close to the cash register...out of reach of the customer.   It's that way for reason: Thai merchants prefer "Chip & Signature", which is also used in other countries like the U.S., where no PIN entry is required and you just sign a receipt vs "Chip & PIN" where you the customer enters a PIN.

Summary: no PIN entry required for purchases; PIN entry required at ATMs.

Thx!  Does cash back ever come into play here?  BTW, I just tried using it at Jampha...had four or five items...I showed her the card , she shrugged...rang up 171 THB ...she says 200 THB minimum....I just turned and walked.  Sign says we welcome Visa....no big deal...Some dies ignorance and stupidity are harder to take than others.

Not uncommon for some stores to set minimum limits for use of debit or credit card.   Not uncommon to see a minimum purchase requirement of around Bt400 to 500 in some stores....but the minimum amount is purely set by the merchant and not set by the bank issuing the card.   Some merchants have no minimum limits. 

And some merchants do not accept "debit" cards regardless of purchase amount but will accept a credit card.   Santa Fe restaurants are like that...their sign at checkout says Debit Cards Not Accepted; Credit Cards Accepted for Bt400 or more.

I doubt there are any cash back rewards on your debit card, but you would need to check with your card-issuing bank (whoever that was...you didn't mention the bank) to find out.

Yea, the merchant must pay a X-percent fee on each transaction...can be around 3%.   Based on my research on the price between what the merchants pays for an item and what they sell it for,  I would bet in 99% of all purchases they would still make a profit even for low value items.  It's basically the merchant not wanting to give up a few extra percent in profit....a few extra percent they already have built-into their prices.   It's purely a max profit thing.   But I expect a few merchants like who sell gold are operating on slim profits but high volume. But gold shops usually only accept a card if you pay a surcharge.

You will also see merchants who will only accept a card if you agree to around a 3% surcharge...of course that surcharge is to cover their transaction fee.  Surcharges are frowned upon big by the card companies like Visa/Mastercard but not-illegal, but the card companies realize that some merchants do play the surcharge game and the card companies basically just require the merchants to clearly identify they are charging such a fee and its suppose to be paid seperately....and of course also tell them a bad way of doing business but up to you Mr Merchant.   I basically don't deal with stores that charge surcharges to use a debit/credit card.

And sometimes the merchant tries to discourage use of a card by offering you a X-percent discount for cash. 

As far as cash back ..I was referring to getting paper cash back from the merchant.  Yes, many have minimums...that is one reason I gave the joint a chance to tell me before scanning the items by showing her the card.  It is CIMB....unlimited ATM use at any Thai bank..no fee, and no out of province fees.  Have my retirement cash in there...paying 1.5% no tax with held... Lounge access at Swampy.  Preferred Savings.

As far as I know, Thai stores do not do cash back with a purchases.  You pay for the purchase and that's it....you can't get any extra cash while paying for the purchase.   To get cash with the card you must use an ATM.

14 hours ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

Thx!  Does cash back ever come into play here?  BTW, I just tried using it at Jampha...had four or five items...I showed her the card , she shrugged...rang up 171 THB ...she says 200 THB minimum....I just turned and walked.  Sign says we welcome Visa....no big deal...Some dies ignorance and stupidity are harder to take than others.

So she is stupid for sticking to store and probably Visa policy.My country $10 minimum want to call them stupid or go look in the mirror.

1 hour ago, louse1953 said:

So she is stupid for sticking to store and probably Visa policy.My country $10 minimum want to call them stupid or go look in the mirror.

they went to the trouble of having an English sign saying "we welcome Visa," with no mention of minimum, and a clearly presented the card to her, before she scanned the first item..., just to make sure it was OK....maybe not stupid, (their driving habits are stupid), but just another careless, young service worker, without the ability to show an ounce of initiative.  No minimum at Tesco, across the street.  Oh, and they don't take Foreign Visa cards...as if Visa is a Thai Company, but JB Computer will take my Citibank card because we all know that Citibank is Thai..yeah, right.

Instead of complaining online, you should have demanded to see the store manager and had the cashier sacked on the spot for her incompetence. It's the least management could do for a valued customer...

Please raise this shocking incident with Visa Thailand, who once they hear they have lost out on their cut of a 171 THB sale will no doubt rip up the merchant agreement they hold with this store.

You need to move on from this incident and go to Tesco from now on...

No, I just turned and walked, like at do at 7-11, when they try to overcharge me, at least once a week.  They can set the minimum at 5000 if they want to.....and I can decide to pay cash or walk, when they lay new rules on me after the fact.  They can afford to have 12 employees on the clock, with four customers....maybe they could take the  time to remove price signage that is no longer valid.  Like the Heineken at Tesco that are 9 months old...I did ask them once to get some fresh ones.....now I just buy beer at Tops...and the Heinekens sit, and sit, and sit.

This is only for using a credit card?  At certain banks?  With certain employees?
I ask because I've seen this written many times, never tried it myself as I get reimbursed for atm fees, but curious to know more.  

21 hours ago, TerryLH said:

"To get cash with the card you must use an ATM."

Or over the counter at a bank.  No ATM fee.

There is a small fee, usually 50 THB, that is uadded to the. THB amount you are given before the conversion is done.....it is not a line item but  is in there, but then again, A number of retirees will tell you that BKK Bank New York transfers their SS  checks for free.....bwahahaha.

3 minutes ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

There is a small fee, usually 50 THB, that is uadded to the. THB amount you are given before the conversion is done.....it is not z line item but  is in there, ybut end again, A number of retirees will tell you that BKK BKK New York transfers for free.....bwahahaha.

yeah, I know they don't.  It hits a break even point around $5k.

You get really beat up on here by the self-appointed forum ethics police.   
There should be a list of does and don'ts.  555

On you're other topic.  When the cleric(s) brain lock, give me the deer in the headlights look and immediately respond with, "cannot" I do the same, walk away until I can sort it out with someone above pay grade E-1.

The over charging and selling old stuff get's me sometimes when distracted.  I have gone back and most of the time, after several people's involvement, they resolve it.

Yes, that way the line hold up is minimal, you aren't causing them to lose face by a farang,  but hopefully someone in there will scratch their head and ask why did this regular customer just walk out with his his stuff on the counter.  Generally, I am treated quite well by businesses up here......I am actually here all year, unlike the students ts....but there is a sharp contrast in the owner operator places and the places with the phone starers, acting like they are getting paid ration  tickets by Castro. They really need to get rid of the dead weight,and reward those, who help their businesses.  

Archived