Pence says his private email use was not the same as Clinton's

rooster59

Pence says his private email use was not the same as Clinton's

640x640.jpg

U.S. Vice President Mike Pence speaks before swearing in Ryan Zinke to be Secretary of the Interior, in Washington, U.S., March 1, 2017. REUTERS/Joshua Roberts

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Vice President Mike Pence on Friday said there was "no comparison whatsoever" between his use of a private email account for state business while he was governor of Indiana and the email woes of former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

Clinton's use of a private email server during her time in government became a major point of criticism against her as the Democratic nominee during the 2016 presidential election by Pence, the running mate of President Donald Trump, and others involved in the Republican campaign.

"There's no comparison whatsoever between Hillary Clinton's practice, having a private server that was handling classified information, destroying emails that were requested by the Congress and by officials," Pence told reporters on the sidelines of an event in Wisconsin.

Pence's use of an AOL email account was first reported by the Indianapolis Star on Thursday. The newspaper said Pence used the account at times to discuss sensitive matters and homeland security issues. The account was hacked last summer, the newspaper reported.

Pence said he complied with Indiana laws in his use of the email account, and he had an outside attorney review his private email records and archive those related to state business.

During the campaign, Trump and Pence said Clinton's use of a private server broke the law and endangered national security - complaints that led their supporters to chant "Lock her up!" at rallies.

The State Department's internal watchdog said Clinton's use of a private server broke department rules. The FBI reviewed her emails for classified material, but it found that no criminal charges were warranted.

FBI Director James Comey, however, said Clinton and her colleagues were "careless" with classified information.

Clinton's staff turned over thousands of emails to the State Department in late 2014. Her team said emails that were not related to government work were deleted, although they said that direction was given before lawmakers issued a subpoena for them.

A White House spokeswoman said Pence was not subject to federal laws as governor, unlike Clinton, and did not handle classified information.

"There's light years of difference" between the use of private email by Pence and Clinton, White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders told reporters.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-03-04

4 minutes ago, maoro2013 said:

Why worry, what happened to Hillary who was Secretary of State, not a state Governor?

And she was investigated and no charges were brought forward.  So perhaps an investigation is needed here also?  At least we'd know nothing illegal was done.  There are some emails they are refusing to disclose.  Hmmm....

I don't know that they are 'light years of difference', but there is a difference.   I believe that any violations that Pence might have made would fall under state jurisdiction and not under federal jurisdiction.  

I doubt Democrats will push too hard on this in light of the Hillary email issue. There are some similarities and some differences. Just because it is state level doesn't mean there wasn't anything classified or sensitive being discussed (maybe since it is Indiana who really cares?). It was stated that several of the emails could not be produced under the normal freedom of information act which concludes that at least these particular emails contained sensitive information. In both cases, lawyers parsed through emails first before handing them over to the government. Maybe there will be a whole new talk of "missing" or "duplicate" emails.

I am not sure by stating the AOL email was used and not a private server makes it any better. This is like saying I trust some outside 3rd party with emails before I trust my own server that is secured under my roof. That doesn't make any sense security wise. Plus Pence knew his AOL account was hacked and then stupidly just created another AOL account. Crazy!

In both cases, each party was "extremely careless" with handling of government email (whether is was state or federal, classified or not).

In Pence's case, he is being a hypocrite for condemning Hillary when he himself is guilty of a very, very similar issue.

Edited by Silurian

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

"no comparison whatsoever"

Wow this new term alternate truth is really gaining traction and getting a workout. It seems to be part and parcel of the Trump administration new policy "Believe us we don't lie"

3 hours ago, Scott said:

I don't know that there are 'light years of difference', but there is a difference.   I believe that any violations that Pence might have made would fall under state jurisdiction and not under federal jurisdiction.  

True, but the concern is national security. Should the source of the violation--federal, state, or NGO--negate or diminish any responsibility?

26 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Right after they lock Hilary up eh?

I thought that was one of Trump's big campaign promises?  What happened? LOL

P.S. it was investigated and dropped.  By all except Trump and his supporters.

Whether Clinton; Pence or any other government official that deals with sensitive information- it shows the complete disregard of keeping sensitive/classified information safe. To me- anyone who disregards protocol on this matter has sown a lack of understanding ad raises questions about their competence.

Clinto waas the wrong candidate at the worng time. If Bernie Sanders had been the Democratic candidate- Trump would be back on his reality show not in the White House. Now all of us are facing a stark reality. Trump is a disaster and a liar.

6 minutes ago, binjalin said:

Pence will get throguh this as he didnt have classified docs as HC did just more griping

of course he will….look at that face and the deliberate careful way this man behaves….this is not someone who wilfully flouts the law, thinking his name will get him off.

Trump and Pence (and all the ding dongs they hang with) are like bratty little kids.  Each time when they're shown they've done something illegal and/or unethical or stupid, they often devolve to saying, "well, so 'n so did the same, so why are you picking on me?"  

If I was a 2nd grade teacher, and some little kids tried pulling that immature stuff with me, I would immediately give them a gentle scolding about; 'TAKING RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR ACTIONS.'   Maybe that's why I have about 2 dozen step kids / godkids and children of my own who have grown up to become responsible, well-adjusted folks.   Completely different than Trump and his kids or, as Pence is now showing;  dishonest, whining immature butt-plugs.

7 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

of course he will….look at that face and the deliberate careful way this man behaves….this is not someone who wilfully flouts the law, thinking his name will get him off.

No he's worse:  he thinks his position as VP and his Bible-Thumping holier-than-thou attitude will get him out of any of his transgressions.  P.S. in case anyone is in doubt about whether Pence knew what disgraced former Security chief Flynn was talking about with the Russian Ambassador: Pence was told.  Both Pence and Trump knew what their buddy had discussed.  All three are lying.   Indeed, Trump instructed Flynn to make deals with the Ruskies (while Flynn was a private citizen).  It will all come out clearly soon.  

Well, it will be clear for reasonable-minded people, but it will forever be angrily denied by Trump/Pence fans, no matter how compelling the evidence.