Is a PGCEi or PG diploma in Ed worthwhile?

I've heard that the University of Nottingham is not a bad place to study a PGCEi (international teaching qualification). Its also possible to do a 'Post Graduate diploma in education' there.

Are either of these recognized by the MOE in Bangkok for the purposes of getting a TL?

thanks

I have worked directly with three teachers who have studied the PGCEi from Nottingham. We generally only employ qualified teachers and regretfully, the three with the PGCEi were not of the same standard as teachers with home country qualifications. What the PGCEi really lacks is the in class observation. It encourages self reflection, which is important, but going through the process of regular observation and feedback by experienced teachers is what is really needed to make a strong teacher (though I won't argue that some will be able to do it on their own, in my experience, they don't).

That said, yes the PGCEi is accepted by the MOE and does get you a TL.

I cannot comment on the Post Graduate Diploma, this is the first I have heard of it being available via Malaysia campus. In the UK, the PGDE is well regarded, the question is, does the version here involve regular observation and feedback by experienced, qualified teachers?

Serious about teaching long term? Go home and get qualified.

• 3 weeks later...

This question has been answered here many times. Go home and do the PGCE plus your NQT year. Then come back and look for EAL work in an international school. After a year or two, depending on luck, you can then switch to teach your subject if and when a position becomes available. That's what I did and it worked out well for me. Good luck...

Archived