What type of school did you go to?

seancbk

Private School or State School?   

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, al007 said:

Google says my School was founded in 1556, does that mean it was more established !! !!!    !!!!

School motto God Grant Grace

Yes I escaped at 17

Still later became FCA with PW&co

Thank you GS i have over the last eight weeks done very well on the shares, only held them for this period

The greatest thing school taught me was survival from an early age, I still am a bit of a loner and do not suffer fools gladly

No need to say why do I follow TV then, because if you pick and choose some very valuable advice especially in the medical bit

You went to the same school as one of my best Thai friends.  His Father also went there and even more astounding his Grandfather went to the same school.   

Our school motto was (is) "Serve and Obey"   Founded by a member of The Worshipful Company of Haberdashers.

18 minutes ago, transam said:

Are you saying money is your "god"...?

Money absolutely is mine.   I exist purely for my own enjoyment and money enables me to achieve my raison d'être.

38 minutes ago, seancbk said:

I wish I was more musically inclined.  I wanted to learn to play the trumpet, but instead got given a French horn.   There is nothing cool or sexy about the damn French horn so I gave up on my dream of being a white Miles Davis.

I have never heard of Miles Davis, I assume he is a jazz trumpeter, my first full time professional band was a  six piece Scottish show band, we had a saxophone and trumpet player.

1 hour ago, transam said:
1 hour ago, seancbk said:

Then education is failing most people completely, as all signs indicate vast numbers of people out there cannot think.

I

Would suggest we all have different gifts regarding what sinks into our gray cells, but for sure stuff does....

That is no doubt true.

What I find hard to understand are the numbers of people I know in their 40's who express beliefs and opinions about things that are completely contradictory to the scientific facts they were (presumably) taught at school.

It is as if they failed to learn anything about the workings of the natural world, no understanding of the laws of Chemistry, Biology or Physics.

Alternatively they did learn about those things but facts don't fit with their desire to find some weird spiritual meaning or hoodoo voodoo connection with Gaia (or some such nonsense), so they turn their backs on rational science and instead believe in fracking crystals, tarot, tea leaves and other rubbish.

6 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I have never heard of Miles Davis, I assume he is a jazz trumpeter, my first full time professional band was a  six piece Scottish show band, we had a saxophone and trumpet player.

I sincerely hope you are joking Possum!   How can someone, especially a musician, not know who Miles Davis is!!!

Miles Dewey Davis III was an American jazz trumpeter, bandleader, and composer. He is among the most influential and acclaimed figures in the history of jazz and 20th century music.

21 hours ago, seancbk said:

Private schools in the UK are called Public schools.

No that is not right, some private schools are public schools, only very old ones that started at the time when schools were run by the church, they are public in the sense that they accepted all Christian denominations and all other religions, but the vast majority of private schools in the UK are not public schools, in fact there are only 445 of them whereas there are about 2500 private schools.

1 minute ago, Shawn0000 said:

No that is not right, some private schools are public schools, only very old ones that started at the time when schools were run by the church, they are public in the sense that they accepted all Christian denominations and all other religions, but the vast majority of private schools in the UK are not public schools, in fact there are only 445 of them whereas there are about 2500 private schools.

Perhaps you are talking about modern money making establishments and not the recognised no.1 UK Public schools..:smile:

I did not know that.  Thanks for the clarification.

My school was and still is an Independent Public School.   Access is gained by getting an acceptable grade in the entrance exams, an interview and payment of fees.  The school also has a pretty generous bursary so that smart kids who may not otherwise be able to afford the school can get financial aid.   

Google says my School was founded in 1556, does that mean it was more established !! !!!    !!!!
School motto God Grant Grace
Yes I escaped at 17
Still later became FCA with PW&co

Thank you GS i have over the last eight weeks done very well on the shares, only held them for this period

The greatest thing school taught me was survival from an early age, I still am a bit of a loner and do not suffer fools gladly

No need to say why do I follow TV then, because if you pick and choose some very valuable advice especially in the medical bit

Just looked up date of my school 1525 and you had to run up a mountain in the morning to get breakfast.

Just now, transam said:

Perhaps you are talking about modern money making establishments and not the recognised no.1 UK Public schools..:smile:

The school I attended is run as a trust, the William Jones's Schools Foundation, by the Worshipful Company of Haberdashers, one of the Livery Companies.

The Foundation's returned accounts for 2015 show an income of £22,411,000, against an expenditure of £22,433,000

So not a money making establishment, as it ran at a slight loss in 2015  ;-)

3 minutes ago, seancbk said:

The school I attended is run as a trust, the William Jones's Schools Foundation, by the Worshipful Company of Haberdashers, one of the Livery Companies.

The Foundation's returned accounts for 2015 show an income of £22,411,000, against an expenditure of £22,433,000

So not a money making establishment, as it ran at a slight loss in 2015  ;-)

Think with those figures someone was living the high life....:whistling:

The only private schools in my country as far as I am aware of are run by religious nut jobs, and as far as I am aware of there are no boarding schools for children that young, The only exception would be for children who live so remotely that living at the school is their only option. But these are special circumstances, and run by the local government. 

16 minutes ago, seancbk said:

I sincerely hope you are joking Possum!   How can someone, especially a musician, not know who Miles Davis is!!!

Miles Dewey Davis III was an American jazz trumpeter, bandleader, and composer. He is among the most influential and acclaimed figures in the history of jazz and 20th century music.

I was never into jazz music, I would struggle to name even about five jazz musicians, I played mostly American country music although I was brought up on Elvis and Roy Orbison.

5 minutes ago, transam said:

Obviously they would not be recognized no1 public schools as they are not public schools, the only "recognition" of public schools was an old parliamentary decision to allow independent schooling, it is historical title and nothing to do with quality, and they are not all money making establishments, some are church schools, some charities, many rival the best public schools in results.   And, if you think that only the public schools achieve the best grades then you are mistaken, for example, Cardiff 6th Form College scored the second best in the country last year, with Eton coming in 12th and Harrow a measly 53rd.

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

I was never into jazz music, I would struggle to name even about five jazz musicians, I played mostly American country music although I was brought up on Elvis and Roy Orbison.

For sure my head does not compute with jazz..

Obviously they would not be recognized no1 public schools as they are not public schools, the only "recognition" of public schools was an old parliamentary decision to allow independent schooling, it is historical title and nothing to do with quality, and they are not all money making establishments, some are church schools, some charities, many rival the best public schools in results.   And, if you think that only the public schools achieve the best grades then you are mistaken, for example, Cardiff 6th Form College scored the second best in the country last year, with Eton coming in 12th and Harrow a measly 53rd.

I don't give a toss about grades or anything......:stoner:

18 minutes ago, seancbk said:

I did not know that.  Thanks for the clarification.

My school was and still is an Independent Public School.   Access is gained by getting an acceptable grade in the entrance exams, an interview and payment of fees.  The school also has a pretty generous bursary so that smart kids who may not otherwise be able to afford the school can get financial aid.   

The bursaries were forced on every fee paying school during Blair's term, not sure exactly but they all have to take a certain percentage.

19 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

The bursaries were forced on every fee paying school during Blair's term, not sure exactly but they all have to take a certain percentage.

I was at school when Thatcher was in charge.  

This thread got me remembering....I went to a boy's Tech school, early '60's,  I was in a road accident and broke my arm...Arm in plaster....Swimming lesson once a week....I had to get in the pool with a broken arm in plaster.....They taped plastic around my arm so l could get in the pool and do NOTHING.....many years on I think why...Was it because the teachers were sort of fresh from killing fields of WW2 and wanted to toughen up young folk...Or just daft stuff.....Wish I could ask them now..

11 minutes ago, malt25 said:
34 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Just out of curiosity .... this is relevant because ???

Relevant because I was replying to Shawn0000  (see below)

He said fee paying schools were forced to have bursaries by Prime Minister Blair.    

I was pointing out that the school I was at already had them many years prior to that.

35 minutes ago, seancbk said:
55 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

40 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Well, that was good of them, but many of the most elitist of the public schools did not want to have children attending their schools who were from outside of their circle, there are a handful of schools in the UK that accept children largely on the basis that their parent attended before them.