Thai Snack Help

prettyann08

Hi!

What is this food called? :laugh: And how is it being eaten or prepared?

I've also been searching all over the net on how to prepare this dried coconut with sesame seeds crepe or pancake like product that is sealed. This was given to us by a relative from a vacation in Thailand and we both have no idea how to prepare this properly. Tried deep frying and toasting it but it just turned black. :laugh: Thank you!

20170304_164635.jpg

129339341237024913.jpg

3 hours ago, sipi said:

BBQ slowly on a soft charcoal fire, turning often. When it turns gold it is ready to eat.

That's similar to what my wife says.

It seems to be called kâao grìap (wâao). My wife left out the "r" of course (kao giap) :whistling:

Kind of a rice cake.

What the black seed is? I don't know. Black sesame?

The following link goes to a video that shows how to make and how to "bbq".

The link should start at 1:44min just after which you see the "soft barbecue".

The way this is meant to be prepared is to grill it on low fire until it is cooked.  ( i.e. BBQ until golden in Sipi's word.)

When prepared correctly, the texture softens and becomes somewhat chewy (toothy?) and/or crispy in places.  The shredded coconut and sesame give the fragrance that is quite heavenly.   Like all grilled food, a little caramelization enhances the flavor.

if it turns black, it is burned and becomes hard and bitter.   If you deep fry, it usually hardened and greasy as it is dense.

i have never tried heating it up on non-stick pan like cooking raw tortilla, but that is worth experimenting.  It may work.

this is one of the Khao Grieps variety.   But it is not Khao Griep Wow ( "wow" here means "kite".   It will not expand like the one in the video above.  That one has a lighter texture.  

This is one is a bit fuzzy to prepare right.  But when you do, it is worth all the hassles.   My favorite childhood snack.

Edited by BayLay

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, timendres said:

ข้าวเกรียบ  --> Crispy Rice

Yeah, I thought so too. Looks like crispy rice- well, deep fried it and it becomes the number one free radicals for your body. Especially deep fried with palm oil which has been re-used over and over till dark colour.

The final word is Cancer.