Visa On Arrival Scam?

jasonc

I've been through the new airport a dozen times now. I personally find it disturbing how they place form over function but that's another topic.

My question is about a desk and sign before Immigration that says "Visa on Arrival". Confused tourists look and wonder if they need to queue up to move on. All the staff wear official uniforms but not exactly like the Immigration staff. The sign says something about a tourist visa and the cost is only 1000 Baht. Then there is a logo stating it's "Thailand Longtime Stay Co. Ltd".

I have a business visa, so I skip on by, but if I were a tourist I'd assume there is a new visa fee and have a stop at this desk. Correct me if I'm wrong but tourists from most countries DON'T have to pay a 30 day tourist visa fee, right? Is this a private company feeding on peoples confusion having been on a airplane for countless hours and in the flurry of international travel? If so, it's purposly confusing for profit. My last flight was from Europe and the queue was full of Brits on short holiday. I'll totally lose all faith in AAOT if they allowed a scam like this before immigration.

Any feedback/comments please.

I'll be through back out and in a few more weeks and I'll take photos.

Edited by jasonc

I've been through the new airport a dozen times now. I personally find it disturbing how they place form over function but that's another topic.

My question is about a desk and sign before Immigration that says "Visa on Arrival". Confused tourists look and wonder if they need to queue up to move on. All the staff wear official uniforms but not exactly like the Immigration staff. The sign says something about a tourist visa and the cost is only 1000 Baht. Then there is a logo stating it's "Thailand Longtime Stay Co. Ltd".

I have a business visa, so I skip on by, but if I were a tourist I'd assume there is a new visa fee and have a stop at this desk. Correct me if I'm wrong but tourists from most countries DON'T have to pay a 30 day tourist visa fee, right? Is this a private company feeding on peoples confusion having been on a airplane for countless hours and in the flurry of international travel? If so, it's purposly confusing for profit. My last flight was from Europe and the queue was full of Brits on short holiday. I'll totally lose all faith in AAOT if they allowed a scam like this before immigration.

Any feedback/comments please.

I'll be through back out and in a few more weeks and I'll take photos.

No, there is almost 200 countries in the world, but only about 40 of those qualify for visa exemption in Thailand.

It's natural that Visa on Arrival desk is before the immigration, since at immigration you need to present a valid visa (or qualify for visa exemption).

Edited by zink

My question is about a desk and sign before Immigration that says "Visa on Arrival".

Of the many countries whose nationals are not allowed visa-exempt entry, 20 countries’ nationals can get a visa on arrival. See here for details. Don Muang airport also had a desk for visas on arrival before the immigration counters.

--

Maestro

I didn't know the difference between "Visa on Arrival" and "Visa Exemption". I always thought tourist visas were a "visa" as they are called not a "non-visa". Thanks for the clarification.

The large majority of visitors come from the 40 exempt countries which then brings me to another point. It's still confusing! Like I said the line was full of 50+ Brits a few weeks ago. Why aren't there signs explaining what nationalities need to wait or move on.

Another topic which has been covered... poor signage and poor communication at Suvarnabhumi.

When my wife - who's Taiwanese and needs a visa on arrival - and I entered thru the new airport last month, we had no problems at all.

The desk where you had to get the visa was clearly marked, and under the sign 'Visa on Arrival,' there was an alphabetical list of about 40 countries whose citizens need the visa. All I had to do was rush ahead to go and change money for the 1000 baht visa fee because we hadn't changed at a bank we saw earlier.

I don't see how a visa scam could work without setting up a full-fledged office desk inside the airport. And would you give money for a visa to a guy who just accosted you?

Most visitors - certainly from Western and even many Asian countries - don't need a visa at all anyway.

Actually, it is very easy, everybody visiting Thailand needs a visa.

Such can be obtained from Thai Embasies/Consulates abroad or for some 20 nationals on arrival at a special counter manned by staff of the Ministry of Foreign Affiars, in charge for visa.

There is one exception, people from 40 countries can enter Thailand without a visa, as tourists only and max. 30 days stay.

Immigration-police, btw, is under the jurisdiction of the Interior Ministry which would explain different uniforms.

..."Visa on Arrival"...Why aren't there signs explaining what nationalities need to wait or move on....
...The desk where you had to get the visa was clearly marked, and under the sign 'Visa on Arrival,' there was an alphabetical list of about 40 countries whose citizens need the visa...

Jasonc, it looks like you’re flogging a dead horse. May I respectfully suggest that you give up on this particular issue and find some other topic on which to fault the new airport?

--

Maestro

How about something like this . . . ..

I recently bought a coffee in one of the coffee shops at the 'airport'.

It is outrageous that the designers of the airport didnt take into account the fact that coffee contains caffeine. Imagine my horror and disgust at everything to do with the airport and Thailand in general when i couldnt sleep later that night.

I think we should get a petition together.

Pathetic. It's truly pathetic. This airport could have been great, but incidents like selling coffee to unsuspecting travellers like me, ruins it for everyone.

How about something like this . . . ..

I recently bought a coffee in one of the coffee shops at the 'airport'.

It is outrageous that the designers of the airport didnt take into account the fact that coffee contains caffeine. Imagine my horror and disgust at everything to do with the airport and Thailand in general when i couldnt sleep later that night.

I think we should get a petition together.

Pathetic. It's truly pathetic. This airport could have been great, but incidents like selling coffee to unsuspecting travellers like me, ruins it for everyone.

When I boarded a plane at Bangkok airport I found that I was not allowed to sit in Business Class, despite having paid for an Economy Class ticket. I'm sure you can imagine my fury. I will not be using this airline again and will advise all my associates to do likewise..

When I boarded a plane at Bangkok airport I found that I was not allowed to sit in Business Class, despite having paid for an Economy Class ticket. I'm sure you can imagine my fury. I will not be using this airline again and will advise all my associates to do likewise..

It's unfair to blame the airline for that. The blame should rest purely with the hopelessly inept managers of the new airport.