Best method of shipping a tool box from Oz to Bangkok

Has anyone found a good, cheap, uncomplicated way to ship a toolbox (weight about 30 Kg) from Perth to BKK ?

The tools cost me about AUD2000 to buy in Oz (no new tools)

I didn't want to spend that much again to get my workshop set up with basic tools in Thailand (for home repairs and maintenance)

Thai Airways excess baggage would cost close to AUD 1000 .

World Baggage gave me a quote of AUD 468 for air freight.

For sea freight their minimum charge is AUD 457 but a much larger/heavier box can be sent for the same minimum price.

This would seem the most economical way to send the gear, but customs fees ?

I wonder if the customs at Suvarnaphumi will be demanding extortionate fees ?
Would a "door to door service" be better in this case?

Any positive answers or discussion welcome.

If you don't have much other luggage why not just take as checked baggage ?

I had a similar situation about 18 months back. I purposely packed clothes very light so I could use my baggage allowance for the tool box.

I'm making the final retirement move so I have a lot of other personal effects + clothes to bring.

So my baggage allowance will be maxed out anyway.

Many people have said "don't bother bringing all that gear because the cost of transport will be more than the goods are worth".

I added up the replacement cost of the tools etc that I'd like to bring and it comes to far more than I thought.

Shipping by sea seems to be relatively economical compared to air freight especially if the volume/weight is large.

I think I might go with an agent who can organize the lot and get it delivered to my door and that way I can bring a lot of things

that I was going to try and sell (give away) on Gumtree.

You will get shafted for inport tax if you use a courier service or send by post. 

Treat yourself to a business class ticket for the higher luggage allowance. Buy a few bottles of decent wine, some cheese and anything else that is pricey here. Pack it all up ( plus your tools ) and bring it as checked luggage. Enjoy the flight and arrive with all your gear. More enjoyment, less hassle and no more expensive.

• 3 weeks later...

I was reading the Thai customs regulations regarding personal effects.

Apparently if you have a Retirement Visa there is not a problem but it appears that a Non O Immigrant Visa does not qualify.

I had thought about entering Thailand with the Non O Visa and then converting that to a Retirement Visa

(with the 800K bank balance, after 2 months residence).

After that, I'd import my box of personal effects by ship, showing my newly acquired Retirement Visa.

Has anybody done it this way ?

I feel I may have only one option and that is to get the Retirement Visa before I travel. 

Only problem is, I will need to wait a few more weeks to get that 800K into my account and then apply to the Thai Embassy in Canberra     Plus all the extra papers they require. 

I've had 2 boxes sent over by courier from New Zealand. They are full of old stuff of sentimental value only (clothes, scrapbooks of old tickets, photo albums). Fedex received them at Swampy and are demanding 9000 baht . I said there shouldn't be any duty on these - it's old worthless stuff. They said there is no import duty, only "customs duty".

I said I won't accept this. Customs should be based on value and they have no value. They've now agreed verbally within a few minutes to lower the duty from 9000 to 5000. My Thai friend who's helping me says this is great news, as if I should be happy!.

I'm not. I'm ropable over these Thai crooks. Does anyone know if I can appeal against these charges?

Edited by pomozki
1 hour ago, pomozki said:

I've had 2 boxes sent over by courier from New Zealand. They are full of old stuff of sentimental value only (clothes, scrapbooks of old tickets, photo albums). Fedex received them at Swampy and are demanding 9000 baht . I said there shouldn't be any duty on these - it's old worthless stuff. They said there is no import duty, only "customs duty".

I said I won't accept this. Customs should be based on value and they have no value. They've now agreed verbally within a few minutes to lower the duty from 9000 to 5000. My Thai friend who's helping me says this is great news, as if I should be happy!.

I'm not. I'm ropable over these Thai crooks. Does anyone know if I can appeal against these charges?

Have you recently moved to Thailand ?

You're allowed to import personal effects duty free but only within a limited time frame.

Up to one month before travelling and up to two months after arrival.

Outside this time frame and you are subject to pay duty.

But it sure doesn't have any commercial value. 

I assume you could appeal but is it worth the hassle ?

Edited by xerostar
missing words
32 minutes ago, xerostar said:

Have you recently moved to Thailand ?

I assume you could appeal but is it worth the hassle ?

No, I;ve been here for 5-6 years on a retirement visa

and there seem to be so many reports of FedEx ripping people off I thought there might be an easy to appeal - but maybe not