Time needed to receive answer to 1 year extension?

My wife and I had a curious conversation with a higher up immigration officer while applying for my extension, they stamped me for 30 days while I wait for an answer about approval of my application for 1 year extension. They said that they are having troubles getting approval before the 30 days is up, that these are taking longer (as they are backed up), and that we might not hear back before the 30 days is up?! So what exactly happens at that point?! My wife was doing the talking, but I don't know what to make of that, the first person said check back in 2 days, but the main officer told us about the long wait,  so kind of wondering whats going to happen here. I am already done with the 90 days, got a 60 day extension because we needed more work on paperwork, and this 30 day stamp didn't start from the end of my 60 days, its starts from today.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ocddave said:

My wife was doing the talking, but I don't know what to make of that, the first person said check back in 2 days, but the main officer told us about the long wait,  so kind of wondering whats going to happen here. I am already done with the 90 days, got a 60 day extension because we needed more work on paperwork, and this 30 day stamp didn't start from the end of my 60 days, its starts from today.

The under consideration stamp you get allows you to stay in the country until your extension is approved. The report back date on it is just that. It does not end the under consideration  period.

It is not unusual for it to take more 30 days for the approval. Immigration division 3 that is responsible for the central region is often late on the approvals.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

The under consideration stamp you get allows you to stay in the country until your extension is approved. The report back date on it is just that. It does not end the under consideration  period.

It is not unusual for it to take more 30 days for the approval. Immigration division 3 that is responsible for the central region is often late on the approvals.

Thank you ubonjoe, exactly what I wanted to hear! :-)

I don't really understand the OPs concern? if you apply for a 1y extension is there not usually a 30d period where you application is under consideration? Doesn't they tell you to contact them 2-3 days before the 30 d period expired? This practice has been implemented 2-3 years ago.

5 minutes ago, wobalt said:

I don't really understand the OPs concern? if you apply for a 1y extension is there not usually a 30d period where you application is under consideration? Doesn't they tell you to contact them 2-3 days before the 30 d period expired? This practice has been implemented 2-3 years ago.

He applied for a extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai. Those extensions must be approved at the the immigration division headquarters  responsible for the region of the country where they live. A under consideration stamp is done with a report back date on it 30 days from the date of application or from the date the current permit to stay ends dependent upon where the application is done.