Media chiefs barred from regulatory council: Kanit

webfact

Media chiefs barred from regulatory council: Kanit
By THE NATION

2e6417363cb9179478e8244632e7ae24.jpeg

Kanit

Govt says people wanting to be on new body should step down beforehand

BANGKOK: -- HEADS of professional media organisations will be prohibited from sitting on a controversial council to be set up under a new law aimed at regulating the mass media.

The media reform committee will instead place the media-group heads in a working committee, which will be responsible for nominating members of the council. 

WORKING COMMITTEE 

The 11 members of the ad hoc working committee charged with setting up the Media Professional Council will be:

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30308133

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-03-07

7 hours ago, webfact said:

BANGKOK: -- HEADS of professional media organisations will be prohibited from sitting on a controversial council to be set up under a new law aimed at regulating the mass media.

Kind of chops their heads off eh what. 

5 hours ago, jerojero said:

Yes, no media experts allowed on Committee to decide on media reform. Brilliant.

That's not how I read it.... nine of eleven members of the working committee are presidents (or the like) of media groups (two government secretaries.. one from pm office, one from cultural department)

these eleven mostly media head professionals then appoint a council.... the council cannot contain media head professionals, but it can contain retired media professionals, or lawyers and such... or if a current media group president resigns now, he can go on the new council.

in a way it makes sense... to me it's like denying Rupert Murdoch the ability to make laws about media actions

of course I could have the wrong end of the stick.

31 minutes ago, farcanell said:

That's not how I read it.... nine of eleven members of the working committee are presidents (or the like) of media groups (two government secretaries.. one from pm office, one from cultural department)

these eleven mostly media head professionals then appoint a council.... the council cannot contain media head professionals, but it can contain retired media professionals, or lawyers and such... or if a current media group president resigns now, he can go on the new council.

in a way it makes sense... to me it's like denying Rupert Murdoch the ability to make laws about media actions

of course I could have the wrong end of the stick.

Actually there are only five media council presidents. The consumer association seems to be independent, the TDRI is a Dem think tank, and I have no idea of who the "Media fund Manager" will be.

20 minutes ago, candide said:

Actually there are only five media council presidents. The consumer association seems to be independent, the TDRI is a Dem think tank, and I have no idea of who the "Media fund Manager" will be.

Yer... that's why I included "or the like"... because, in truth, I don't know the functions either.

however, my point was that the working committee does seem to be made up of professionals from within the media...., and that people who are actually profiting from the media, should not be in the resulting council ( ergo my Rupert Murdoch comment)