Torrent Probs after True Upgrade

KyopoBKK

Hi tech buffs,

My internet provider (True Online) finally upgraded my router from ADSL to VDSL with 30mbps/5mbps speeds for dl/ul.
While I've been using ExpressVPN before without a hitch, now speeds are acting up once I start the torrent client.
I get dl speeds all the way up to 3mbps (3 times higher than before) but then after a few minutes it goes down to 0, disconnects and goes gradually up again.
The fluctuation continues throughout the download.
I spoke with the guys at ExpressVPN but they can't find a solution. Switching protocols and locations didn't do the trick.
As it is probably related to the new router, I would like to know what I can do. How do I change settings and which ones? Does True throttle VPNs?
The new router is a HUMAX HV-100-02
Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Similar problem with 3BB.

Was 'upgraded' to VDSL last month.

Downloads much faster but uploads (seeds) have come to a halt.

As I get my TV programmes from a private tracker I need to retain a decent ratio, now proving very difficult.

Bought a replacement modem/router and tried port forwarding but it has not solved the problem.

I think the ISPs are throttling torrents (and find it easier with VDSL?).

13 minutes ago, Ginkas said:

As I get my TV programmes from a private tracker I need to retain a decent ratio, now proving very difficult.

Bought a replacement modem/router and tried port forwarding but it has not solved the problem.

My seed speed is fine though, much higher than before. However, as a network lock is engaged (by VPN client) when the overall torrent speed goes south, my internet is shut down for a minute or so each time.  And that's just annoying since it happens every five minutes.

7 minutes ago, KyopoBKK said:

My seed speed is fine though, much higher than before. However, as a network lock is engaged (by VPN client) when the overall torrent speed goes south, my internet is shut down for a minute or so each time.  And that's just annoying since it happens every five minutes.

26 minutes ago, Ginkas said:

Was this "upgrade" forced on you or was it on your own request?

You could try Tor/Vidalia - https://www.torproject.org/download/download - It is more for keeping your browsing private, but when TOT did some torrent throttling a few years back, this worked a treat.

Just be aware that torrents can bypass in some instances the privacy of TOR, it appeared to me at the time that all my torrent traffic was completely immune to the TOT throttle.

32 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

You could try Tor/Vidalia - https://www.torproject.org/download/download - It is more for keeping your browsing private, but when TOT did some torrent throttling a few years back, this worked a treat.

Just be aware that torrents can bypass in some instances the privacy of TOR, it appeared to me at the time that all my torrent traffic was completely immune to the TOT throttle.

It says there on page 1:
"Don't torrent over Tor

Torrent file-sharing applications have been observed to ignore proxy settings and make direct connections even when they are told to use Tor. Even if your torrent application connects only through Tor, you will often send out your real IP address in the tracker GET request, because that's how torrents work. Not only do you deanonymize your torrent traffic and your other simultaneous Tor web traffic this way, you also slow down the entire Tor network for everyone else."

Edited by KyopoBKK

3 minutes ago, KyopoBKK said:

They sent a letter before to inform me. I would have accepted anyway since the 'upgrade' was free.

So if I understand correctly, it was not possible to maintain your ADSL connection, even if you didn't agree ?

Just now, KyopoBKK said:

It says there in page 1:
"Don't torrent over Tor

Torrent file-sharing applications have been observed to ignore proxy settings and make direct connections even when they are told to use Tor. Even if your torrent application connects only through Tor, you will often send out your real IP address in the tracker GET request, because that's how torrents work. Not only do you deanonymize your torrent traffic and your other simultaneous Tor web traffic this way, you also slow down the entire Tor network for everyone else."

That is what I warned about, but it does work -

25 minutes ago, Allstars said:

So if I understand correctly, it was not possible to maintain your ADSL connection, even if you didn't agree ?

I don't know. As I said I welcomed the advertised faster speed.

Edited by KyopoBKK

2 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

That is what I warned about, but it does work -

I also heard that the combination of proxy and vpn could dramatically reduce speeds? Anyway, thanks for your suggestion. I'll have a closer look.

Also not "forced".

Went to pay annual subscription and was told VDSL now available in my area, much faster speeds and slightly cheaper.

Took it on that basis and also noted that ADSL is not longer available for new subscribers.

If only I had known the trouble it would cause :sad:.

Edited by Ginkas

I always found torrents to be pretty slow in Thailand, specially when the files did not have many people sharing it. I discovered one service called Premiumize : https://www.premiumize.me/ref/154800632 

Yes I have to pay about 150 baht per month on a yearly subscription but I think its worth it, specially since it also includes many other things, like VPN, usenet, VOIP credits. For torrents its just so much faster. You download it on their international servers first with super high speed and then you can get it from there which works much faster than a local torrent client, seems all thai internet providers throttle more or less.  For someone really depending on torrents its maybe ok to spend a few bucks, they probably have a trial too.

2 hours ago, KyopoBKK said:

They sent a letter before to inform me. I would have accepted anyway since the 'upgrade' was free.

3 hours ago, KyopoBKK said:

Gee, I am glad coming across this thread!
I have the cheapest ADSL connection available with 3BB and am experiencing a significant decrease of download speed since yesterday.

Normally I get about 1200-1500 MiB when downloading torrent related material
which is now reduced to a meagre 180 - 400 KiB.

I reside in Pattaya and never received  notification to either change or
upgrade to VDSL. Since my router (Linksys AC750 X6200) is suitable for both ADSL
and VDSL I guess it's time to change and hopefully get back my original
download speed.

4 hours ago, Ginkas said:

Have 3BB provided you with new set-up details to configure the router from
ADSL to VDSL?

1 hour ago, CaptainS said:

I always found torrents to be pretty slow in Thailand, specially when the files did not have many people sharing it. I discovered one service called Premiumize : https://www.premiumize.me/ref/154800632 

Yes I have to pay about 150 baht per month on a yearly subscription but I think its worth it, specially since it also includes many other things, like VPN, usenet, VOIP credits. For torrents its just so much faster. You download it on their international servers first with super high speed and then you can get it from there which works much faster than a local torrent client, seems all thai internet providers throttle more or less.  For someone really depending on torrents its maybe ok to spend a few bucks, they probably have a trial too.

Thanks for the info. How fast is your dl speed with a torrent client?

2 hours ago, KyopoBKK said:

Thanks for the info. How fast is your dl speed with a torrent client?

It really depends on the files. Some not so popular things actually never finished at all by using a local client with a thai connection but it worked really well with that cloud service.

To give an idea to others anyhow, I just downloaded some very popular files, on my 3BB fibre connection I reached about 3 MB/s (30 Mbit) , with my 3BB VDSL connection the speed was more or less the same. So in this case there would be no need for me to use the premiumize service, but if people are not satisfied with the speed, they could try it.

Another idea, if on 3BB , would be to try the new option I just recently heard about, they have a "International" add-on now for 200 Baht, maybe thats worth trying too.

Edited by CaptainS

8 hours ago, Formaleins said:

After some research, I downloaded the TOR proxy. And so far my torrent client is running smoothly. Though general ISP speed is slower, usually it's less when dl is at full tilt without proxy engaged.
So all in all, your suggestion, using proxy and VPN together, was the solution to my problem. Thank you!

Edited by KyopoBKK

Proxies and VPN will give private browser browsing but not always hide the Torrent client IP, so while you may be hidden behind a fake IP while surfing your client is still showing the word your real location.

This small program will check the IP your torrent client is using:-

http://www.best-bittorrent-vpn.com/check-torrent-ip.html

http://ipmagnet.services.cbcdn.com/?

hash=25fd19cc4944879615a701a2e69740d926755306

IP Link.JPG

IP Magnet Link.jpg

Trackers!.jpg

:smile:

Edited by Daffy D

9 hours ago, SouthernDelight said:

Have 3BB provided you with new set-up details to configure the router from
ADSL to VDSL?

3BB sold me a VDSL modem/router for 800 baht (my D-Link was only ADSL).

The girl set everything up via their system in their shop.

Came home and found my router/modem not connected, just a red light.

Connect up the ZTE (3BB's) box, switched on and had VDSL connection.

Later bought a D-Link ADSL/VDSL modem router, connected and set up from the document given by 3BB.

All up and running - but seeds still a problem.

As said, I port forwarded the new D-Link but no improvement.

Seeding always was slow on ADSL (given I'm in Thailand), but now is almost useless.

Downloading, however, is definitely faster.

OP,

They may be doing traffic shaping after analysing your traffic (I know it is encrypted, but they know volume Mb IN and OUT), even if you are using your VPN in the 443 port for example (see: the traffic of access a webpage with https:// is quite different of a traffic of torrent), they may assume you are a heavy downloader and decide to throttle your connection (mark packet and drop packet most common use, or a combination of many actions, who knows?).. also they may have an algorithm to do that for them! It is quite normal nowadays (traffic shaping is based on software).

You have to find your way around, try to change ports in your VPN very often to avoid profiling, change IP address of your VPN, change your DNS(do not use True DNS), also clean cookies very often, everything that can be used to create a profile of yours. If you are good at scripting than you can automate all this actions on your side.

[DNS]

new devices from True Internet, isn't possible to change DNS and some other configs in their router config panel, then you have to change it with your computer to pass the new DNS to the router(do it in your network config changing the method from Automatic to Automatic Address Only and then fill the DNS fields with your favorite DNS ip.), then the router will not use True DNS but yours DNS (try to use the DNS of your VPN if they have one).

I used to have the same problem with True (fiber 30mb), I change dns, ip, ports very often, also try to use VM with tails or similar OS.

They do traffic shaping (it is only one technique in network traffic management). I remember well, P2P used to be a nightmare (still being) for ISPs, but today it is widely used everywhere, they can not just block it anymore!

Just try to be dynamic, change is the key to solve your traffic problem! Sometimes ISP block a range/single ip for bad users, if they use DHCP to assign an IP for you, try to reconnect(turn off your router for few seconds and turn on to get a new IP), you may have a bad IP, if the problem persists then better call saul!

9 hours ago, deepcell said:

OP,

They may be doing traffic shaping after analysing your traffic (I know it is encrypted, but they know volume Mb IN and OUT), even if you are using your VPN in the 443 port for example (see: the traffic of access a webpage with https:// is quite different of a traffic of torrent), they may assume you are a heavy downloader and decide to throttle your connection (mark packet and drop packet most common use, or a combination of many actions, who knows?).. also they may have an algorithm to do that for them! It is quite normal nowadays (traffic shaping is based on software).

You have to find your way around, try to change ports in your VPN very often to avoid profiling, change IP address of your VPN, change your DNS(do not use True DNS), also clean cookies very often, everything that can be used to create a profile of yours. If you are good at scripting than you can automate all this actions on your side.

[DNS]

new devices from True Internet, isn't possible to change DNS and some other configs in their router config panel, then you have to change it with your computer to pass the new DNS to the router(do it in your network config changing the method from Automatic to Automatic Address Only and then fill the DNS fields with your favorite DNS ip.), then the router will not use True DNS but yours DNS (try to use the DNS of your VPN if they have one).

I used to have the same problem with True (fiber 30mb), I change dns, ip, ports very often, also try to use VM with tails or similar OS.

They do traffic shaping (it is only one technique in network traffic management). I remember well, P2P used to be a nightmare (still being) for ISPs, but today it is widely used everywhere, they can not just block it anymore!

Just try to be dynamic, change is the key to solve your traffic problem! Sometimes ISP block a range/single ip for bad users, if they use DHCP to assign an IP for you, try to reconnect(turn off your router for few seconds and turn on to get a new IP), you may have a bad IP, if the problem persists then better call saul!

OK, thanks. I'll do this if the proxy/vpn combination doesn't cut it any more.

9 hours ago, Ginkas said:

3BB sold me a VDSL modem/router for 800 baht (my D-Link was only ADSL).

The girl set everything up via their system in their shop.

Came home and found my router/modem not connected, just a red light.

Connect up the ZTE (3BB's) box, switched on and had VDSL connection.

Later bought a D-Link ADSL/VDSL modem router, connected and set up from the document given by 3BB.

All up and running - but seeds still a problem.

As said, I port forwarded the new D-Link but no improvement.

Seeding always was slow on ADSL (given I'm in Thailand), but now is almost useless.

Downloading, however, is definitely faster.

In think you are safest using a router that you purchased on your own and avoid any other equipment provided/available from any ISP. It's misguided economics using a free or discounted router from the ISP as you already spend a considerable amount on a computer, inmho.

By using the details in the ISP provided document together with the router's set-up wizard your router should functioning swimmingly.

In order to tackle the seeding issue I'd double check relevant settings in the bittorrent client and/or get assistance from their technical people/forum (or in your case from the private tracker).

Moreover, ensure (doublecheck) the details for correctness you have entered into the router's Basic Setup, i.e. Physical Type, DSL Mode, DSL Modulation etc..

Which Internet Connection (Encapsulation) Type does the 3BB document show to use (e.g. RCF 2516 PPPoE)?   

Could you also please reveal to which package you you opted for and your current improved average download speed?

7 hours ago, SouthernDelight said:

In think you are safest using a router that you purchased on your own and avoid any other equipment provided/available from any ISP. It's misguided economics using a free or discounted router from the ISP as you already spend a considerable amount on a computer, inmho.

By using the details in the ISP provided document together with the router's set-up wizard your router should functioning swimmingly.

In order to tackle the seeding issue I'd double check relevant settings in the bittorrent client and/or get assistance from their technical people/forum (or in your case from the private tracker).

Moreover, ensure (doublecheck) the details for correctness you have entered into the router's Basic Setup, i.e. Physical Type, DSL Mode, DSL Modulation etc..

Which Internet Connection (Encapsulation) Type does the 3BB document show to use (e.g. RCF 2516 PPPoE)?   

Could you also please reveal to which package you you opted for and your current improved average download speed?

The package was the 50/10 (upped to 50/20 two days ago).

Download speed from the tracker usually 30 - 40 Mb/s depending on number of seeders, but is always much faster than it was for ADSL.

3BB document shows PPPoE.

Followed instructions from tracker and a couple of other web-sites for port forwarding but uTorrent shows a red circle (was always a green tick under ADSL).

15 hours ago, Ginkas said:

The package was the 50/10 (upped to 50/20 two days ago).

Download speed from the tracker usually 30 - 40 Mb/s depending on number of seeders, but is always much faster than it was for ADSL.

3BB document shows PPPoE.

Followed instructions from tracker and a couple of other web-sites for port forwarding but uTorrent shows a red circle (was always a green tick under ADSL).

Wow, you sure have an impressive download speed!  I.e. 30 - 40 Mb/s = 28.6 - 38.2 MiB/s.

3BB reset my connection only yesterday and my ADSL download speed has improved by a meagre 1.2 - 1.7 MiB/s.

I realize that my Internet service package is different to yours thus don't compare 'apples with apples' but am considering now upgrading to VDSL :-) 

I can't offer any other suggestion to improve your seeding issue but you may wish try switching temporarily to qBittorrent and compare overall performances. If you do,  just ensure the port used for incoming connections is in 49160-65534 range as the default port connection is much lower,  more info here: http://www.techsupportalert.com/optimizing-qbittorrent-speed
Good luck!

Thanks for the reply SouthernDelight.

Yes, I was surprised by the download speed. However, the size of the downloads is usually less than 1GB so only takes a few minutes.

Don't know if larger files would slow down after a while.

Also surprised, last night left uTorrent running and over a period of 7 hours it uploaded (seeded) 6.2GB at times reaching 900 Mb/s :shock1:.

It's not doing anything now but there is light at the end of the tunnel (maybe).

Will try your suggestion of qBittorent and especially changing the port connection number.

Many thanks.