President Obama's Visa attitude bites the US in the backside

Flustered

President Obama always refused to allow 5 countries within the EU ( Cyprus, Poland, Croatia, Bulgaria, and Romania, ) to use the visa waver system when visiting the USA even though Americans could visit these countries on a visa waver.

MEPs have demanded that the EU Commission makes visas mandatory for US visitors within two months, by suspending the current “visa waiver” for its nationals for a year.

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/passports-eu-us-visas-esta-etias-ees-fingerprints-passports-european-parliament-a7614881.html

It is hopped that President Trump will see the error in the previous Presidents attitude and amend the current regulations to include these 5 countries.

Now, this is World News.

Edited by Flustered

I wouldn't hold your breath. First off requiring Americans to purchase visas for EU just might encourage more Americans to vacation at home. Trump would just love That!

Next, within seconds of EU requiring visas for Americans, Trump would require visas for all EU citizens visiting the US. Trump wants to know WHO is coming into the US for security reasons. Once again this falls in line with Trump's thinking.

My sense is Trump wants the EU to take the threatened steps, that way he's NOT seen as taking unilateral action. He be seen as simply responding to EU actions.

11 hours ago, Watchful said:

I wouldn't hold your breath. First off requiring Americans to purchase visas for EU just might encourage more Americans to vacation at home. Trump would just love That!

Next, within seconds of EU requiring visas for Americans, Trump would require visas for all EU citizens visiting the US. Trump wants to know WHO is coming into the US for security reasons. Once again this falls in line with Trump's thinking.

My sense is Trump wants the EU to take the threatened steps, that way he's NOT seen as taking unilateral action. He be seen as simply responding to EU actions.

Unfortunately, the EU is driven by the ideals of people like Junkers who couldn't give a fig about America.

One of the great reasons for Brexit. The EU is so self centred that it is loosing perspective of the ways of the world.

Mind you, America needs to amend it's ways as well. A visa waver to the USA only gets you 3 months while a visa waver to the EU gets you 6 months.

It's about time America started amending it's ways and reciprocating.

14 hours ago, Flustered said:

Unfortunately, the EU is driven by the ideals of people like Junkers who couldn't give a fig about America.

One of the great reasons for Brexit. The EU is so self centred that it is loosing perspective of the ways of the world.

Mind you, America needs to amend it's ways as well. A visa waver to the USA only gets you 3 months while a visa waver to the EU gets you 6 months.

It's about time America started amending it's ways and reciprocating.

I fully appreciate what you are saying.

Many in the US look at the attacks in EU and feel like Trump.  That is, we simply must know who is coming into our country. Indeed, just look at the mess the North Korean killers are making in Malaysia.

Unfortunately the world is becoming a more dangerous place and visas and their ancillary paperwork allow countries better visibility on who's coming and why.