Upper parts of Thailand to experience tropical storm

webfact

Upper parts of Thailand to experience tropical storm

BANGKOK, 8 March 2017 (NNT) - The Meteorological Department warned residents living in Thailand’s upper parts to brace for a tropical storm in the second half of this week. 

Warnings have been issued against stormy weather for people living in four northern provinces namely Nan, Uttaradit, Pichit, and Petchabun and nine northeastern provinces including Nakhon Ratchasima, Chaiyaphum, Khonkaen, Udon Thani, Maha Sarakham, Kalasin, Roi Et, Mukdahan, and Sakon Nakhon. 

The storm will also bring precipitation to the upper part of the central region, affecting Lopuri and Saraburi provinces as well as the eastern coast. Residents of Prachin Buri, Sa Kaeo, Chachoengsao, Chonburi, Rayong, Chanthaburi, and Trat have been advised take extra caution when leaving their homes as strong winds can knock off trees and small objects.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-03-08

The low pressure/warm wind has been coming out of the SW, running into the cooler/high pressure to the North, building the impressive cloud line shown in pink/purplish color below, indicative of hot season thunderstorms.  Right, feels a bit early, I usually think of this more toward April, but it has been hotter than hell last week or so.  North sky was very dark gray when I went out about 1730 yesterday, and saw the swarms of "rain bugs" around the street lamps in the evening.     ir_rgb_asian.jpg

The "upper parts" ?

Are we talking altitude here, or perhaps the anatomy of Thailand ?

When I've shown a map to Thai people (to obtain directions) they just turn it around and look puzzled.

I suspect they don't know what they're looking at or where to find the upper parts.

So I hope The Meteorological Department really meant "Northern Parts" of Thailand,

Edited by xerostar

The title of the article is incorrect. There will be no tropical storm. According to the weather forecast some isolated thunderstorms are possible in the central, east and north of Thailand! There is nothing to be concerned about. I would be more concerned about the heat and lack of rain in many regions.

A Tropical Storm is a closed circulation of strong winds, just below typhoon or hurricane strength. They don't occur in this season.

Tropical Storms hit the Vietnam coast later in the year (August to October) and they may continue to NE and E Thailand in a weaker condition. Tropical Storm strength winds are extremely rare in N and NE Thailand.

Real Tropical Storms and Typhoons hit coastal areas of the eastern half of southern Thailand only (e.g. Chumphon, Ko Samui, Songkhla), but they occur seldom.

No surprise if it rains around Ban Chang /Rayong....the cloud seeding planes taking off from U Tapao have been flat out the last few days. It did rain this morning....for about 2 minutes!

Edited by LennyW