Apartment Before Teaching Job - Bad Idea?

I spent the last semester working at a govt school off the MRT through an agency. Decent pay, loved the school, all was good. I got a 3-month rental off the MRT for a quick 20 minute train ride to school.

A lot of shit happened at the school and there is no word on whether they will renew the contract with the agent. I will not find out until late March. My problem is that my rental expires this weekend. It's too expensive to stay at this place, so I am trying to move.

I found a great apartment at MRT Lat Phrao that I really like and want. However, I am unsure if it will be available soon so I must act quickly. If I can return to the same school next semester, it will be a great location. But if not, then I have to look for a job that is convenient to get to.

My question: if I like the apartment, should I sign a rental agreement not knowing where I work next semester? Is MRT Lat Phrao centrally located enough that I would be able to have a decent commute should I work elsewhere? I am a certified teacher in the US, so finding a job isn't hard. However, my priority is finding a job that is easy to get to from my location so I would need to ensure my job is off the MRT or not too far on the BTS line.

Bangkok traffic is terrible, and many schools and apartments are not close to either the BTS or MRT.  To anyone else, I would say get a job first, and live in a hotel or guesthouse until you have found one.  But I will change my advice in your case.  As a certified teacher, you should be able to get a job of some sort within easy commuting distance of wherever you choose to live. Thai landlord's normally want 3 month's rent on move-in, so if you rent Mar. 1, you will be expected to pay rent/damage deposit through May 31. With most jobs beginning about May 1, you would only be forfeiting one month's rent (for May) if you were hired by some place in late April, and it was so far away that you couldn't bear the lengthy commute for even one month. 

On 3/8/2017 at 3:16 PM, allane said:

Thai landlord's normally want 3 month's rent on move-in, so if you rent Mar. 1, you will be expected to pay rent/damage deposit through May 31.

and they will cheat/rob this from you. The key is not giving more than one month's deposit which the electric bill will eat up at least half(if you run the AC). Allowing these scoundrels to flourish here in Thailand is for the birds. If they don't want to rent to you under your terms, find another apartment/room. I'm a very private person and half I know who have rented from Thai people ended up losing their deposits. Leases don't matter, violence or fear of it rules the day. 

Some nasty troll posts have been removed and the members will be put on suspension.   This section of the forum is for and about teaching.   If you can't be helpful, go elsewhere.   It's a big forum.  

Archived