Forest fires worsening smog situation in northern Thailand

webfact

Forest fires worsening smog situation in north

LAMPANG, 9 March 2017 (NNT) – Continued forest fires in the northern region have exacerbated a widening smog crisis that has threatened the health of locals. 

A contingent of authorities from across Lampang and neighboring provinces has assembled to quell a forest fire spreading from Doi Phrabat mountain range. All fire fighters have been told to be on alert as the area is particularly treacherous with complex mountain formations and sudden cliffs. Nonetheless, ending the blaze has become a priority as it has added to the north’s smog problem after burning for over 5 days. Local health offices have prepared 30,000 face masks for residents to help them cope with the polluted air at this time. 

Smoke from the fire has impacted Mae Hong Son, where visibility has decreased significantly and air particulate matter is outside of acceptable ranges. It is hoped that strong winds forecast over the next few days will help to alleviate the situation. 

The Department of Pollution Control has said smog is affecting 9 provinces with 2 areas in critical condition due to air particulate matter highly exceeding the 120 micrograms per cubic meter standard. With expectations for the situation to worsen, officials have asked citizens to be on high alert to follow safety protocols. They have also been encouraged to desist from any burning practices at this time, noting that the situation was mostly due to poachers setting fires in the woods to draw out animals.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-03-09

3 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

30,000 Face masks? How many people live in the affected regions? I think they have some issues with their maths.

Yes but the face masks are only for the hi-so folk, peasants get sweet f.a.

In the last 2-3 weeks I have seen only two people (me including three) who wore a mask outside.

I don't think 30.000 masks are necessary, it does not seem likely that people want to wear them.

Over 240 bush fires reported in northern provinces in less than a month

113_Fire.jpg

CHIANG MAI: -- A total of 243 bush fire incidents were reported during the period from February 15 until March 8 with 7,447 rai of forest being destroyed, according to Mr Atthapol Charoenchansa, director of Forest Protection and Fire Control Office.

Tak province reported the highest bush fire incidence with 64 incidents and 3,452 rai of forest being destroyed. The other bus fire incidents were reported in Lampang, 51 incidents and 1,558 rai of forest destroyed; Phrae, 39 incidents with 662 rai destroyed; Chiang Mai, 32 incidents with 389 rai destroyed; Lamphun, 25 incidents with 652 rai of forest destroyed; Phayao, 11 incidents with 260 rai destroyed; Nan, 9 incidents were 335 rai destroyed; Mae Hong Son, 8 incidents with 61 rai destroyed and Chiang Rai, 4 incidents were 58 rai destroyed.

However, he said that bush fire incidence this year was less than that of the previous year during the same period, thanks to public campaign for local villagers to refrain from starting bush fires, creation of networks to control bush fires and adoption of preventive measures such as fire prevention trenches and installation of fire alarm system.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/240-bush-fires-reported-northern-provinces-less-month/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-03-10

5 hours ago, webfact said:

However, he said that bush fire incidence this year was less than that of the previous year during the same period,

it's the same way outbreaks are determined. comparing this year's count to last year's still doesn't make sense (sigh... this is thailand) because that figure is so much higher than it needs to be. i mean zero would be ideal. 

CHIANG MAI: -- A total of 243 bush fire incidents were reported during the period from February 15 until March 8 with 7,447 rai of forest being destroyed 

The forest trees have shed their leaves and arsonist now set fires,

To clear the undergrowth for mushroom season,

More mushrooms for sellers and buyers.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

However, he said that bush fire incidence this year was less than that of the previous year during the same period, thanks to public campaign for local villagers to refrain from starting bush fires, creation of networks to control bush fires and adoption of preventive measures such as fire prevention trenches and installation of fire alarm system.

I knew there had to be a pat on the back here somewhere. Thainess. 

How about a pic of them DOUSING that fire with a big sign warning

of FINES of caught--where theres smoke theres fire---they CAN be found

The question is WILL they--actions speak louder than words--thai style

Wonder if this is affecting PAI as alot of tourist and $$ goes into that place

Mention LOSS of $$$$ and THAIS start listening...jing jing   *COUGH* :sick:

Early this morning I rode my bike through a staging area where a large group of

men were transitioning to and from the fire lines. Incredibly hot weather made

even worse by the conditions they were dealing with. I also noticed a Vietnam

era Huey refilling it's water container hanging beneath. Couldn't help but think

how difficult their task was and how grateful I was that they were out there.