Is there any chance I could teach Excel in Thailand?

Is there any chance I could teach Excel in Thailand schools? I do not have any diplomas, I do however have an audio engineering certificate, but that has nothing to do with Excel. I can teach them how to make a dashboard in Excel (picture down below). 1 out of 4 people have their own business in Thailand, so learning excel can help.

EDITED by @KhunBENQ on request of OP.

Replace image with an updated version.

8YyLGGO.png

I worked in a office in Bangkok in the late 90's.  The secretaries had a pretty good handle on excel.  I consider myself to be close to an expert with Excel; but, unless you can read Thai just getting through the Excel headers would be a task.  

22 minutes ago, kensisaket said:

I worked in a office in Bangkok in the late 90's.  The secretaries had a pretty good handle on excel.  I consider myself to be close to an expert with Excel; but, unless you can read Thai just getting through the Excel headers would be a task.  

Yes there is an opportunity to teach Excel. 

1. business schools - as an instructor or as private study

2. business schools career development department (if they exist!) where the staff are posting job opportunities for new graduates ... it could be offered as a course and paid for by the company doing hiring

3. privately approach the big 5 and other accounting firms to offer this to their new graduates. 

I don't know about audio anything ... but in most business excel or google sheets are required and a proficiency or 'certification' would be a money making product / service. 

Excel changes, like anything else. I was an expert but switched to google sheets and my use decreased as I had staff doing the work for me. Decade later I find myself not so great in Excel but more than proficient in what I need to do now. I am not building 10 or 15 worksheets and linking them, doing pivot charts and the rest. 

In conclusion, I think you, the OP, are on to something here. Most Thais in work force have English proficiency to learn Excel. Also, Excel is often used to analyze things, which is a skill that most Thai workforce are lacking.

Approaching the companies managers and asking them what Excel skills their staff require is a good starting point. Build your course around specific industries functions and BOOM you have a niche product.  

Excel is widely used in businesses in Thailand, but most not on an advance level.

I would imagine finding a job in schools will be hard if you don't even have a diploma.

So its best to sell yourself to businesses in getting their employees more qualified. Create courses to cater to different industries and set up  2 day, 3 day, or 5 day courses for businesses.

"1 out of 4 people have their own business in Thailand, so learning excel can help." 

Well, I didn't know that. You've already started your Thai career. You just taught me something.

I'd be interested in knowing where you did your lesson research. 25% of Thais own a business. I think if you included motorbike taxi riders, taxi drivers, mum & pop shop owners & the like, your 25% would be far off the mark.

But hey, just my opinion.

57 minutes ago, malt25 said:

"1 out of 4 people have their own business in Thailand, so learning excel can help." 

Well, I didn't know that. You've already started your Thai career. You just taught me something.

I'd be interested in knowing where you did your lesson research. 25% of Thais own a business. I think if you included motorbike taxi riders, taxi drivers, mum & pop shop owners & the like, your 25% would be far off the mark.

Even if they are just buying things in the wholesale markets and selling them via Facebook and Instagram (which a hell of a lot of people do), knowing how to use excel to track costs, orders, stock etc would help them quite a bit.

It may not be 1 out of 4 people that have their own businesses but you'd be surprised how many Thais have online businesses.  You'd also be very surprised how much money some of them make.

3 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I once had a project where we needed a excel sheet with some very complicated macros. We ended up paying in the excess of $10,000 to have this done, so there might be a market for an excel expert, but you will have to be darn good.

The OP could offer his services via fiverr.com and other simialr sites

Going to be tough as a freelancer.  Small businesses use spreadsheets for inventory, but they aren't going to pay for training.  I was an RBASE 5000 expert 30 years ago...at the time it seemed like spreadsheets were for people too simple to do database.  Did employment statistics on 14500 employees on a 4.77 MHz 80286, with 640 KB.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2017 at 11:45 PM, malt25 said:

All those rise fields, market places, and street food....Have you ever rode a train? How many of those people walk around trying to sell you something? 

In USA about 1 in 10 own their own business.

This "1 out 4" information I got from business 101 book. I don't remember which. It had China at about 1 in 10 also. Thailand was the highest.

Archived