Weatherman warns of possible freak storms

snoop1130

Weatherman warns of possible freak storms

120_Storm.jpg

The Meteorological Department on Thursday issued a warning of freak storms in 24 provinces in the North, Northeast, central and eastern regions.

Provinces to be affected by possible freak storms include Nan, Uttradit, Sukhothai, Phitsanulok, Kamphaeng Phet, Phichit, Petchabun, Loei, Nong Bua Lamphu, Udon Thani, Khon Kaen, Chaiyaphum, Nakhon Ratchasima, Buri Ram, Surin, Nakhon Sawan, Uthai Thani, Lop Buri, Saraburi, Nakhon Nayok, Prachin Buri, Sa Kaeo, Chachoengsao and Chon Buri.

Full Story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/weatherman-warns-possible-freak-storms/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-3-10

51 minutes ago, whatawonderfulday said:

same warning Tuesday, still waiting for a drop of rain

These hot season storms tend to be extremely localised. The town next to you could be absolutely hammered and you'd never know it.

1 hour ago, Roota said:

These hot season storms tend to be extremely localised. The town next to you could be absolutely hammered and you'd never know it.

Well not until the next day anyway. Had a good storm a week ago in Kabinburi, no serious damage but it was impressive for half an hour. Good plan to clear all large trees near your dwelling, but that is sense anywhere in the world. And the big guess info is to not water your plants if you believe a large storm may impact you. (loosens the roots on the trees. But that is a long call piece of irrelevance, so hard to predict)

2 hours ago, Roota said:

It even happened that the other side of our moobaan was almost flooded and we didn't get a drop of rain....

Either way, I do not knock the Thai authorities for broadcasting some obvious info. If it gets through to some of my local villagers who do not get/ cannot afford to get satelite and do not trust me for telling them, then all to the good. Their culture goes a long way back and we are all newbies.  

16 hours ago, spiderorchid said:

Their culture goes a long way back and we are all newbies.  

You have a lot "kinder" attitude than me, I think most are stuck in the past, in part due to a lousy education & class system and are most times unwilling due to their lethargy or laziness to listen to reason :shock1:

& a lot of us are hardly "newbies" having spent most of our adult lives here.

Just my thoughts, benevolent soul that I am :sleep:

8 hours ago, CGW said:

You have a lot "kinder" attitude than me, I think most are stuck in the past, in part due to a lousy education & class system and are most times unwilling due to their lethargy or laziness to listen to reason :shock1:

& a lot of us are hardly "newbies" having spent most of our adult lives here.

Just my thoughts, benevolent soul that I am :sleep:

I almost agree with you as I am trying to learn to be benevolent as well at my wifes' request. The current system of almost poverty in many villages is due to them being land rich and cash poor. They have so much potential but it is never realised. They do not want to be stuck in the past, despite their over modest land holdings, banks do not lend to them except at extortionate rates. The village money lender charges 10% per month. They sometimes have a small television, almost all cannot afford the internet.

They are not lazy, my 78 yo neighbour is up at work at 7.00am and drops in to my place at 5.30pm for a leo. 

As for being a newbie, they have more than 2500 years of civilisation, how much can you claim?

And sure they have a class system and lousy education system. Name one country that does not have a rich /poor system, and how many poor people get to university. It does not happen in Australia and I am sure it does not happen in your country. For me, now living in a blissful rural Issan community, I am working 6 hours a day to convert my 12 rai into a tropical paridise. All going to plan so far.

9 minutes ago, spiderorchid said:

I almost agree with you as I am trying to learn to be benevolent as well at my wifes' request. The current system of almost poverty in many villages is due to them being land rich and cash poor. They have so much potential but it is never realised. They do not want to be stuck in the past, despite their over modest land holdings, banks do not lend to them except at extortionate rates. The village money lender charges 10% per month. They sometimes have a small television, almost all cannot afford the internet.

They are not lazy, my 78 yo neighbour is up at work at 7.00am and drops in to my place at 5.30pm for a leo. 

As for being a newbie, they have more than 2500 years of civilisation, how much can you claim?

And sure they have a class system and lousy education system. Name one country that does not have a rich /poor system, and how many poor people get to university. It does not happen in Australia and I am sure it does not happen in your country. For me, now living in a blissful rural Issan community, I am working 6 hours a day to convert my 12 rai into a tropical paridise. All going to plan so far.

I almost agree with you! I too live in Isaan outside of a small village. Yes they are land rich, but the land is not particularly fertile and due to the water management, lack of foresight not easy to farm, unless you grow subsidised rice or sugar cane, it doesn't have a lot of potential. Part of the reasoning for not allowing foreigners to own land in Thailand is that the Thais will happily sell their land, after a couple of years they have blown all the money and are then in a worse position than they were previously.

Everybody has potential but the "system" makes it very hard to realise! the rich get richer, has never been truer than it is today! Sure everywhere has a class system, but few are as subverted towards the working class as Thailand. The system here makes achievement for the "poor" very difficult, for them to make a decent living is always going to be difficult, yes there are some who are not lazy, there are plenty who are though! Though in fairness that is quite understandable! earning minimum wage doesn't exactly give you a lot to work towards! Given recent "events" democracy! is not going to be permitted, so not a lot of hope for the future!

Not sure what you base the statement of "2500 years of civilization on? they have existed here a lot longer than that! problem is in parts of Isaan its like going back 2500 years, development is so slow, Buddhism has been in Thailand for 2500 years, not sure that has been so beneficial? to say "it" is has become distorted would be an understatement!

I do try to be benevolent! guess I should try harder!! Good luck with your "tropical paradise" getting hot to be working outside 6 hours a day! watch for the thunderstorms coming through!

14 minutes ago, CGW said:

I almost agree with you! I too live in Isaan outside of a small village. Yes they are land rich, but the land is not particularly fertile and due to the water management, lack of foresight not easy to farm, unless you grow subsidised rice or sugar cane, it doesn't have a lot of potential. Part of the reasoning for not allowing foreigners to own land in Thailand is that the Thais will happily sell their land, after a couple of years they have blown all the money and are then in a worse position than they were previously.

Everybody has potential but the "system" makes it very hard to realise! the rich get richer, has never been truer than it is today! Sure everywhere has a class system, but few are as subverted towards the working class as Thailand. The system here makes achievement for the "poor" very difficult, for them to make a decent living is always going to be difficult, yes there are some who are not lazy, there are plenty who are though! Though in fairness that is quite understandable! earning minimum wage doesn't exactly give you a lot to work towards! Given recent "events" democracy! is not going to be permitted, so not a lot of hope for the future!

Not sure what you base the statement of "2500 years of civilization on? they have existed here a lot longer than that! problem is in parts of Isaan its like going back 2500 years, development is so slow, Buddhism has been in Thailand for 2500 years, not sure that has been so beneficial? to say "it" is has become distorted would be an understatement!

I do try to be benevolent! guess I should try harder!! Good luck with your "tropical paradise" getting hot to be working outside 6 hours a day! watch for the thunderstorms coming through!

We should start a fan club. lol.

It is suggested that aborigines in Australia have had a civilisation of between 40,000 and 70,000 years. No matter what their development, it is still a civilisation.

Buddhism , like most religions or pseudo religions always tends to get subverted. Take the teachings of JC and the current Catholic Church. Buddha repeatedly said he should never be revered.

The rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Happens everywhere. In Australia, there is a start of discontent. May not come to much but there is always the possibility of a backlash when the pigs get their snouts caught in the trough one time too many. Vive la revolution. lol.

Few people (including me ) could be described as rich in my village. But there is no one going hungry, we all help each other out. Today my wife exchanged a box of salted duck eggs, some fresh chicken eggs for some grain to feed the poultry. (a lot of grain in fact). I have lots of bananas and fruit trees on my wifes' land. (point noted) The trees are gradually getting orchids attached to them. As a hobby farmer, I am existing. But the lifestyle, the wonderful people that live here, the way every plant thrives with just a bit of water, buffalo manure and a bit of supplements. Well as long as you don't have huge expectations, its all good. 

Yes the thunderstorms will only get worse until the next dry. Cheers