John Place...closed till Sunday.....

KhonKaenKowboy

I would describe the food as kind of like a Greek owned restaurant...you're not sure if you should send it back, order more, or simply vomit.  But, he has outlasted most bars by 25 years...owns the building.  They also understand the concept that people from places with 10X per capita GDP do not put ice in their beer.  His WiFi is pretty good, too.  It's fun too watch the Chinese and fat trashpacker girls trip on the three inch step....

Probably the Best Bar owner in CM.

His Thai food is good and cheap.

The Staff Come and Go and often return years later.

Treated me well over last 16 years but then I do prefer the Old Style Thai as opposed to modern western poo.

john

Told the upstairs used to most interesting in years gone bye.

2 hours ago, jonwilly said:

Probably the Best Bar owner in CM.

His Thai food is good and cheap.

The Staff Come and Go and often return years later.

Treated me well over last 16 years but then I do prefer the Old Style Thai as opposed to modern western poo.

john

Told the upstairs used to most interesting in years gone bye.

Table Tennis?

10 hours ago, Loaded said:

I remember throwing tennis balls at a paddle. If you hit the paddle, the barmaid was dunked in a tub of water.

I hit the paddle with my first throw once.. the look on her face was priceless as she went in the water .. after that she was expecting a dunk with each throw

On 3/12/2017 at 5:38 AM, balo said:

Looks like a xxxxxhole to me , but I might go check it out one day . 

It used to be the best bar in town - really fun. I think it was the first "real" Go-Go Bar in Chiang Mai, although there were some really seedy ones that might not concur. What was the little one with a windmill on the front?

6 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

It used to be the best bar in town - really fun. I think it was the first "real" Go-Go Bar in Chiang Mai, although there were some really seedy ones that might not concur. What was the little one with a windmill on the front?

Las Vegas Cafe ..

On 3/12/2017 at 7:38 PM, balo said:

Looks like a xxxxxhole to me , but I might go check it out one day . 

You need to go to The Game for a proper beer.  Err, wait a minute...the Game went out of business...oh, well you need to go to the highly touted Hangout for a proper beer...err, but it went out of business, too.  Perhaps, a trip to Mad Dog to see if staff and customers are as nasty as the numerous reports...but the canned beans look good.

14 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

I am not sure it was ever considered a 'Cafe'.

Was there not an even less salubrious establishment either next door or very close?

Does ‘Dave2' have the evidence?

It was completely surrounded by them back in the good old days when I first visited Chiang mai. A good night out cost a few hundred baht. :smile:

21 hours ago, Mickeem said:

Las Vegas Cafe

I am not sure it was ever considered a 'Cafe'.

Was there not an even less salubrious establishment either next door or very close?

Does ‘Dave2' have the evidence?

some :)

i dont remember las vegas cafe having a windmill outside but here it is

as ug says there was also the ausie cafe in that area run by ray who i saw yesterday

the 1991 bar which was then a kareoke bar where a little lovely would sit with

you for 50 baht an hour but its just an open air bar now 

the escape bar and cowboy bar were near there as well and boomerang bar which is still there and run by the same owners i think

there used to be a short time hotel and bar with friendly girls 50 yards left of where living room bar is now as well so it was always a busy area 

dave2

ps .. i went past the las vegas bar a few months ago and i thought it had closed

but ill pop round one night to see if it has ? 

las vegas bar 17 jan 11 2011_01170082.JPG

1991 complex club 23 may 11 2011_05250186 (2).JPG

cowboy bar 12 dec 06 2006_01010009.JPG

boomerang bar 23 june 09 2006_01010471.JPG

What is the name for the area above ?

The reason I asked is that back in 2002 , the year after I came to live in CM a family friend came to CM on a holiday.

I did not know the guy a former UK Police Inspector and he booked into the Prince Hotel.

I met him on his second day in town and he had been for a walkabout in the streets round the corner from the Prince.

He was disgusted by what he saw.

He even found a Gay place which sent him over the top.

Not a nice report on CM when he got back to my UK home town.

john

But I am very broad minded. 555.

re

He even found a Gay place which sent him over the top

the gay massage place was ( and still is ) 100 yards up the soi opposite las vegas bar

and spankys was almost next door to it till he got busted by the b in b for selling weed

flavoured burgers about six ish years ago ?

dave2

spankys 11 july 09 2006_01010018.JPG

19 hours ago, dave2 said:

i dont remember las vegas cafe having a windmill outside but here it is

as ug says there was also the ausie cafe in that area run by ray who i saw yesterday

the 1991 bar which was then a kareoke bar where a little lovely would sit with

you for 50 baht an hour but its just an open air bar now 

the escape bar and cowboy bar were near there as well and boomerang bar which is still there and run by the same owners i think

there used to be a short time hotel and bar with friendly girls 50 yards left of where living room bar is now as well so it was always a busy area 

dave2

I was referring to an earlier time. There were numerous super-cheap Thai brothels all over that neighborhood and all over the city. I think it was about 1995 when they were all shut down.  Las Vegas still had a windmill. "1991" was called "99" back then and there was no pretense that it was a karaoke bar. There was another place called the DD Cafe which became the 2nd home of the Escape many years later and several others on the same street near the corner to the North that turns to the left and hits the moat.

Archived