cheap hotel further out of Sukumvit area

dblaisde

I'm looking for a day-by-day cheap hotel away from traffic and high priced Sukhumvit, but within a half a kilometer from the BTS/MRT. "Cheap" is less than 1000B/night. Anything less than say, 8 stops out from Asok on the BTS/MRT would be fine. (I have bad allergies/asthma to BKK traffic so want to try different city locations to find a breathable area in BKK before tying myself down with a lease.)

Check out Sea of Love..I got a week for 94 USD all inc...20 THB  moto from MRT....about 2km...but it is walkable....hotel rooms are 9th floor ad up..great views...some kind of love palace before....old and clean..but reports of new airconditioners and flat screens......They just kind of took the fun out of Sukhumvit, but I guess if you are coming from some freezing cold area and want tranvestite prostitutes and won't notice the ripoff beer pricing...it is for you.

I walked about 3/4 of the time...just a little crazy during the long rush hour..so it is one of those look over your shoulder walks....kind of an obstacle course...hotel is on more of a non commercial soi...and is kind of neat/quaint.  Much better walking late night...but of course not  a Christmas tree full of jewelry or a large wad of cash....probably a little classier than most of Lad Prao.  I just noticed it is 1.2 km from Fatty's which is drawing g away from the old Sukhumviut crowd, who like me, feel like the declines have been to great to continue supporting them.  IOW, rent is just too damn much.  And the rooms are about 30 SM..which is a large hotel room by today's standard, where 16 is not uncommon.

1 hour ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

Check out Sea of Love..I got a week for 94 USD all inc...20 THB  moto from MRT....about 2km...but it is walkable....hotel rooms are 9th floor ad up..great views...some kind of love palace before....old and clean..but reports of new airconditioners and flat screens......They just kind of took the fun out of Sukhumvit, but I guess if you are coming from some freezing cold area and want tranvestite prostitutes and won't notice the ripoff beer pricing...it is for you.

Yeah they took the fun out of Sukhumvit so lets go stay in some shit heap hotel in the middle of nowhere.

You really know how to live. lol...

Know how to  retire at 50, and live on a budget....many tourists never go more than 2 km from Asok..well this place must be all of five....middle of nowhere?  Hardly.  AGODA  rates it as high as any place in the transvestite area under a 1000.    But, yeah, if you're a part of the pretentious gang...you have to be told when you are having a good time. And speaking of nowhere...how many expats rode the BTS until they found an affordable place and now live in the bowels of Soi 77, or worse...Rachada is much nicer than than those areas.

And of course your objection without alternative is about par for the miserable course on this forum.

AGODA gives it three stars and a 6.1....400 per night...you got something better, that doesn't include African hookers and transvestites let us know.

5 minutes ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

Know hot to retire at 50, and live on a budget....ma y tourists never go more than 2 km from Asok..well this place must be all of five....middle of nowhere?  Hardly.  Agora rates it as high as any place in the transvestite area under a 1000.    But, yeah, if you're a part of the pretentious gang...you have to be told when you are having a good time. And speaking of nowhere...his many expats rode the BTS until they found an affordable place and now live in the bowels of Soi 77, or worse...Rachada is much nicer than than those areas.

And of course your objection without alternative is about par for the miserable course on this forum.

Agora gives it three stars and a 6.1....400 per night...you got something better, that doesn't include African hookers and transvestites let us know.

I live here so don't stay in hotels. I just found it amusing that you claimed that the fun had been taken out of Sukhumvit.

I am presuming you mean Soi 3 area is African hooker and transvestite area? There a few around but i don't see how it mateirally affects you when there, so that you need to stay somewhere else.

3 hours ago, smutcakes said:

I live here so don't stay in hotels. I just found it amusing that you claimed that the fun had been taken out of Sukhumvit.

I am presuming you mean Soi 3 area is African hooker and transvestite area? There a few around but i don't see how it mateirally affects you when there, so that you need to stay somewhere else.

the African hookers are on the main road, all the way to Soi 7.  I find it almost amusing that a guy with a lot of cash would fly half way around the world to a metro area with five million eligible females, and go to a bar shopping center, where half the people wearing skirts or dresses were born male.  If it was still that good, would the leading journalist covering the areas really live 90% of the time in New Zealand?  Would they have anything that even sort of resembled a happy hour with regulars?  Those of us who were there for all you can drink heinekens from 4-8pm for 300 THB know much better.  and that was only 10 years ago.  20 years ago?  Completely different world...

Oh, and here is the view from the ninth floor of the middle of no where.  

bkkrainydayseaoflove.jpg

I'm looking for a day-by-day cheap hotel away from traffic and high priced Sukhumvit, but within a half a kilometer from the BTS/MRT. "Cheap" is less than 1000B/night. Anything less than say, 8 stops out from Asok on the BTS/MRT would be fine. (I have bad allergies/asthma to BKK traffic so want to try different city locations to find a breathable area in BKK before tying myself down with a lease.)

Soi 3 Ratchada Rd, Sea of Love Mansion, or couple others on that Soi would meet your criteria.

I actually tried Sea of Love last night. It was OK pollution-wise. The walk from the big road is a bit hairy though. No sidewalks! :)

An interesting thing about the SOL was that their monthly rate is only 10% off their daily rate, and includes additional expenses for electricity and water, which aren't part of the daily rate. So the daily rate probably works out cheaper than the monthly. The SOL isn't sensationally cheap, but much better than lower Suk of course. Most of their rooms are about 600B/day. I will probably use the place in the future: I come and go in BKK so it's good not to get tied down to a contract.

Also, the aircon could use a good cleaning. Incredible mold coming out of it. I turned it off after a few minutes, since I'm allergic to mold.

Anyway, thanks much for the tip! :)

I booked with AGODA and total was 470 per night.  they fill up on weekends, so you can be more demanding and get there earlier during the week...might even give you a corner room.  I recalled this place that sets up in front of a pool hall with 60 THB large Leos and pork tenderloin medallions grilled fast on a clay pot....grrrrrrrt!  And I am not a pool hall guy.  What floor were you on?  How was the view?  Those apartments across the street rent by the night for about 500, but the rooms are half the size.

I'll keep Agoda in mind. I paid 580B for a corner room, which turned out to be a necessity (I think). I noticed the non-corners had no ventilation for the bathroom (no window) and there was heavy mold coming out of the one room they showed me that wasn't a corner (I've got ugly allergies and mold is a biggie).

Another quirk was that they refused to show me the room until I bought it (!!). They wouldn't let me upstairs until I promised I'd take the room sight unseen. I'm glad I ended up liking it. (many rooms I simply can't stay in because of mold).

I was on the 8th floor and liked it. The other guy complained here about being in the "middle of nowhere" but to look out and actually have a view, and also not be nested in a pollution box of surrounding skyscrapers was a relief. And Asok (which is the heart of Suk for me) is only 2 stops on the MRT. (Not too close, not too far)

An annoyance was someone down on the street playing very loud talk-radio the whole morning (until I left). I can't imagine that this could be a day-to-day thing.

All the suggestive pictures mounted on the wall were funny too. Sexy women in scant clothing in sultry poses! (I felt right at home). It's almost like the place used to be/is a "love hotel",  but I didn't get that feeling from the guests I saw, and it wouldn't bother me anyway as long as nobody ripped off.

Again, thanks!

PS: the cheapest rooms were around 480 so perhaps that's what you got through Agoda (??)

11 minutes ago, dblaisde said:

I'll keep Agoda in mind. I paid 580B for a corner room, which turned out to be a necessity (I think). I noticed the non-corners had no ventilation for the bathroom (no window) and there was heavy mold coming out of the one room they showed me that wasn't a corner (I've got ugly allergies and mold is a biggie).

Another quirk was that they refused to show me the room until I bought it (!!). They wouldn't let me upstairs until I promised I'd take the room sight unseen. I'm glad I ended up liking it. (many rooms I simply can't stay in because of mold).

I was on the 8th floor and liked it. The other guy complained here about being in the "middle of nowhere" but to look out and actually have a view, and also not be nested in a pollution box of surrounding skyscrapers was a relief. And Asok (which is the heart of Suk for me) is only 2 stops on the MRT. (Not too close, not too far)

An annoyance was someone down on the street playing very loud talk-radio the whole morning (until I left). I can't imagine that this could be a day-to-day thing.

All the suggestive pictures mounted on the wall were funny too. Sexy women in scant clothing in sultry poses! (I felt right at home). It's almost like the place used to be/is a "love hotel",  but I didn't get that feeling from the guests I saw, and it wouldn't bother me anyway as long as nobody ripped off.

Again, thanks!

PS: the cheapest rooms were around 480 so perhaps that's what you got through Agoda (??)

It was a love hotel with a storied past.  Photos on the walls are great.  I think there are quite a few college kids there now.  Yes, corner room is better for fresh air.  I think I had some kind oioif promo code that got me 10% off...but seven days came to 94 USD on my DC....now 3324 THB....475 total per night....but no corner room.  And it is a fully refundable rate, too....no penalty...no calls.  Now, give me a few minutes and I will show you a place that came to 65 USD for a week in May....very uncharted territory...

OK, one correction...I used a promo called HAPPYNEWYEAR on Agoda for Sea of Love in April...it was 87.43 for the week or 441.65 THB per night inc..  Now for may I got 7 nights for 2173.50 THB inc..  The Siam Privi Residence....across from a BMW service place.  https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g293916-d8727208-Reviews-Siam_Privi_Residence-Bangkok.html

the usual complaints:  mattress too hard....and couldn't find it (try Google Earth), or Taxi couldn't find it...probably deserve a Best Actor award, too.  And too far from the City Center, which usually means Nana Plaza.  But it looks like they have those small soi taxis for 6 Baht or so.

I actually *liked* the mattress at Sea of Love, a real "love mattress". Many are too mushy for me.

I looked (on ddproperty) at some places in almost that same area (as Siam Privi), but couldn't see how to make the connection to town work. SOL seems quite convenient in that way. (I did the walk back and forth twice to the MRT and SOL and it's quite easy though you've got to be alert for traffic.)

If I actually went over there (to Siam Privi) I might be surprised and find transportation to be OK. No doubt the hotel has suggestions too. Maybe I'll do that just for curiosity sake. I like to hike anyway. :)

Thanks again for the hints. The SOL is a real find for me and what I need at the moment.

10 minutes ago, dblaisde said:

I actually *liked* the mattress at Sea of Love, a real "love mattress". Many are too mushy for me.

I looked (on ddproperty) at some places in almost that same area (as Siam Privi), but couldn't see how to make the connection to town work. SOL seems quite convenient in that way. (I did the walk back and forth twice to the MRT and SOL and it's quite easy though you've got to be alert for traffic.)

If I actually went over there (to Siam Privi) I might be surprised and find transportation to be OK. No doubt the hotel has suggestions too. Maybe I'll do that just for curiosity sake. I like to hike anyway. :)

Thanks again for the hints. The SOL is a real find for me and what I need at the moment.

Is it safe to say that you don't feel like a poor, low class, down and out guy, because you only spent 600 on a room in BKK?  And of course, all Thai food is rubbish, and there isn't a decent bar in the whole city that charges less than 100 per beer....LOL.  Some of the best people I have met in BKK, I met while  consuming large beers for 60 THB.  OTOH, some of the biggest conmen I ever met were at trendy bars drinking 300 THB craft beers....let's face it, if you are a farang wearing a polyester blend suit in Bangkok, you have issues.

9 hours ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

Is it safe to say that you don't feel like a poor, low class, down and out guy, because you only spent 600 on a room in BKK?  And of course, all Thai food is rubbish, and there isn't a decent bar in the whole city that charges less than 100 per beer....LOL.  Some of the best people I have met in BKK, I met while  consuming large beers for 60 THB.  OTOH, some of the biggest conmen I ever met were at trendy bars drinking 300 THB craft beers....let's face it, if you are a farang wearing a polyester blend suit in Bangkok, you have issues.

lets face it many people have more important things to worry about than the price of a beer, it really is not the be all and end all of life. Many people dont bat an eye lid at paying 200 baht for a beer, as it is of no real concern to them. If their whole life revolved around cheap beer there are plenty other places to go.

I did not reply to your early post about some New Zealand journalist as i was at a complete loss as to what point you were trying to prove by citing one New Zealand journalist who chooses not to live in BKK. You only have to look at the tourist arrivals, work permit, retirement visa issuance to see that people making Thailand there base is growing and growing, despite the cost of beer going up lol, so what New Zealander choosing not to live here seems a fairly odd thing to pull up.

I was talking about Stickman....but, if you and others want to drink 200 THB small Leos with transvestites it is up to you.  Median household incomes are 12-15 times higher in my hometown of DC, and I don't drink 200 THB beers there, either.  At least, it is easy to know where the BiB will go to round up deviants for re-education or deportation.  There are many ways men try and make up for their "deficiencies" in height, intelligence, baldness, etc..Big trucks, loud motorcycles, expensive hotels, and worthless, pretentious bars...and 
I think that describes a lot of the Sukhukmvit scene...and throw in a few extras like the trannys, STDs, piss tests,  "extra" guest fees, and go-go dancers doing more of a putt-putt or even a Thorozine shuffle.....just makes me scratch my head...For your 200 THB Leo, which doesn't include a lady drink to chat with a penniless tattooed, mother of three, who thinks you will buy her drunk father a new truck in Issaan...I can get a three day unlimited MRT pass and see how the other 99.999% of Bangkok lives.  If you are friendly at all, it is really quite easy to meet people, who aren't pimps, prostitutes, or conmen.

On 3/11/2017 at 9:00 PM, KhonKaenKowboy said:

Those of us who were there for all you can drink heinekens from 4-8pm for 300 THB know much better.  and that was only 10 years ago.  20 years ago?  Completely different world...

bkkrainydayseaoflove.jpg

300 baht for 4 hours of unlimited Heineken? In Bangkok? Even 10 years ago that was a very good deal, Where was it -Khaosan? Wish I had known about it even so.

Think you are being a bit OTT with this 200 for a small Leo bit, that is a very extreme example and far from the norm. I am sure I paid a lot more than that the one time I was in SPASSO so I am  certainly not saying it is impossible. How about the name of this place. If it is a go-go that would explain a lot.

There is no denying that central Bangkok is pricey, but it is possible to go for a drink without getting a financial kick up the bum.

The Cat House...second floor NEP...to the left as you walk into the plaza.  Oh, and for those on a budget..AYCD Chang was 200 THB from 4-8.  Beer Bar...But, just a few years ago..Bangkok Beat on Soi 7 offered AYCD for 360 from about 7-11 pm on a Tuesday night...They were bringing them to me as fast as I could drink them...Tigers....well into the double digits..they were amused.  Then the place became popular for a while, the promotion ended about then...then it died.  Last year EQ Bar 300 for AYCD for 2 hours +, hardly anyone in there..now, I hear the Africans have taken over.

Archived