Fisheries expert suspects something wrong with the Thai sea

webfact

1203-bruda-whale.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The deaths of two Bruda whales and two whale sharks in the Gulf of Thailand within 70 days show that there is something terribly wrong with the Thai sea, said Associate Professor Thon Thamrongnawasawat, vice dean of the fisheries faculty of Kasetsart University, on Sunday.

The latest casualty is a 12-metre Bruda whale weighing about two tonnes washed ashore in Village 9 of Tambon Thongchai, Bang Saphan district of Prachuab Khiri Khan.

Thorn said that this latest Bruda whale which was not an aging whale appeared to have died from unnatural cause – an indicative that there was something wrong with the sea.

Earlier, one six-month old Bruda whale was found dead on the beach of Ban Kung Tanod in Tambon Khao Daeng, Kui Buri district of Prachuab Khiri Khan.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/fisheries-expert-suspects-something-wrong-thai-sea/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-03-13

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Thechook said:

Yes its filthy and extremely polluted that's why I will never swim in it, or eat thai seafood.  Waste and sewage is drained directly into the sea, when you treat your environment as a toilet what do you expect.

Actually i was over in Pattaya start of Feb for a couple of weeks an the fumes made my eyes sting an couldnt breath proper its gotten bad ...... so went to Rayong an at the time thought this is a great place to move my family back to until i read over the internet about Ma thu phut etc/

looks like its up to the sticks :((

38 minutes ago, jaywalker said:

I can't imagine what's wrong with the ocean???

f45cf0d09a2b0e3d5e432d252dd030c7.jpg

Of course you can! It´s the tourists and all the foreigners. I clearly recall that they wrote an article about that all foreigners should act more responsible and not throw garbage on the beaches.
And now the whales and the nature are suffering! Bad, bad farangs, because we need somebody to blame for not standing stupid with a long nose!

There have been several reports recently saying the waters around Thailand are seriously polluted, so it is no surprise that things swimming in it are dying.

Thailand is barely acknowledging the problem, far less doing anything about it, so expect to hear more reports of dead fish/whales soon.

2 hours ago, alwaysrainsinUK said:

Lest we forget   Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster 

Doubtful the Fukushima thing is a factor.  I first visited Thailand's sea coasts 33 years ago.  Water and beaches were dirty then, and have gotten worse each year.  Not much better on the Andaman side. 

I once found a little area for snorkeling, nw side of Ko Pang Gnan.   All around, was near-barren, but that one little area had some coral and colorful fish.  Then along came a Thai fishing boat.  Maybe they were fishing for aquarium fish?  Probably not.   But it cemented the concept that; nothing is off limits for Thai fishermen, including dumping tons of garbage overboard from their boats - every day and night.

7 minutes ago, clockman said:

And also the impending death of Thai tourism.?

No.  Asian tourists, in particular, will keep coming to visit Thailand.  They don't care much for going in the seas or, for that matter, trekking.  They like to keep to cemented and asphalted areas.  If Thailand was nothing but shopping malls and apartments on every sq.meter, Asian tourists would have no problem with that.   Ok, put a few plastic flowers around to make it look nicer, ....oh; and artificial scenters to smell nice.   

The former PM of Malaysia proposed, year ago, to make a park in central KL and, get this.....  it would all be artificial:  giant plastic trees, bushes, electronically animated animals/birds, pumped waterfalls, etc.  Perfect for Asians.

35 minutes ago, harryviking said:

dead whales found elsewhere were full of plastic!  probably same cause here. oceans are dying...and we will follow after that...sad but true.

wonder if they were cut open to inspect the contents of their stomachs. asia is a major contributor of plastic into the oceans but the whole world will bear the cost. it is predicted there will be more plastic in the ocean than marine life in less than 60 years. disturbing.

32 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

There have been several reports recently saying the waters around Thailand are seriously polluted, so it is no surprise that things swimming in it are dying.

Thailand is barely acknowledging the problem, far less doing anything about it, so expect to hear more reports of dead fish/whales soon.

They won't acknowledge it because it will effect tourism.  The brouchers people see are of pristine seas and beautiful white sands.  When they arrive they see beaches littered with garbage and dog faeces and they swim in a sewage treatment facility.  I think the attitude is, she'll be right mate the tourists will still come.

2 hours ago, Get Real said:

Of course you can! It´s the tourists and all the foreigners. I clearly recall that they wrote an article about that all foreigners should act more responsible and not throw garbage on the beaches.
And now the whales and the nature are suffering! Bad, bad farangs, because we need somebody to blame for not standing stupid with a long nose!

Have you ever looked around the back of a Thai village?  Plastic bags and bottles everywhere.  

They could at least keep their own backyards clean.

35 minutes ago, masuk said:

Have you ever looked around the back of a Thai village?  Plastic bags and bottles everywhere.  

They could at least keep their own backyards clean.

It was meant to be a sarcastic miserable joke. LOL

Yeah, I´ve seen it and it´s terrible!

Edited by Get Real

1 hour ago, boomerangutang said:

No.  Asian tourists, in particular, will keep coming to visit Thailand.  They don't care much for going in the seas or, for that matter, trekking.  They like to keep to cemented and asphalted areas.  If Thailand was nothing but shopping malls and apartments on every sq.meter, Asian tourists would have no problem with that.   Ok, put a few plastic flowers around to make it look nicer, ....oh; and artificial scenters to smell nice.   

The former PM of Malaysia proposed, year ago, to make a park in central KL and, get this.....  it would all be artificial:  giant plastic trees, bushes, electronically animated animals/birds, pumped waterfalls, etc.  Perfect for Asians.

This has a lot of truth . i was in Hong Kong and green areas on the map were mostly concrete with a few patches of vegetation not a park as I expected it to be.

4 hours ago, jaywalker said:

I can't imagine what's wrong with the ocean???

f45cf0d09a2b0e3d5e432d252dd030c7.jpg

you beat me to the punch .... 

i was going to say ... there are to many plastic bags in the Thai sea ..... that's whats wrong ..

Edited by steven100

1 hour ago, DinoSabanovic said:

There is no money in it, at least, that's how Thai brain thinks.

So throw garbage everywhere. My Wife throws garbage around, same thing.

I try to educate her, but little or no effect.

They literally swimming in the garbage. 

I fight the good fight every day my wife says we are lucky to own land because we have somewhere to dump garbage.