Living in Chiang Rai

Lucky mike

Small terrace or row houses (connected) can be rented between 5k and 8k. Condition varies greatly, but generally they could do with a lick of paint. Houses are usually 2 bedrooms upstairs with a bathroom, and a living room with toilet (and maybe shower) and Thai style kitchen. Included furniture is minimal. Not really any land, except a single carport and space to grow a few vegetables (75cm x 2m perhaps). I am generalising of course. If you are looking for a stand alone house, price will vary depending on location, size and condition of house.

Send me a message and I will give you info about a nice rental in Chiang Rai. The owner is Thai, the place is brand new, the rental is very low, and now is vacant and will not last. One year lease. Wonderful location too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2017 at 2:02 AM, BKResort said:

Send me a message and I will give you info about a nice rental in Chiang Rai. The owner is Thai, the place is brand new, the rental is very low, and now is vacant and will not last. One year lease. Wonderful location too.

don't sign a one year lease anywhere

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lucky mike, 

Best and easiest is to google "real estate chiang rai" and you will get at least 5 websites that have houses for rent or sale. 

Welcome to Chiang Rai! 

3 hours ago, BigKahuna said:

Anything exciting ever happen in CR? Seems like a dull place to me.

If you look for girlie bars etc you better go to Phuket, Pattaya and BKK. 

But if you are more interested in Culture,  interesting roads with beautiful views, meeting nice people etc Chiang Rai is a good choice.

See more in http://mkcrtour.com/

22 hours ago, BigKahuna said:

Anything exciting ever happen in CR? Seems like a dull place to me.

Back in the early 90s it was way more fun than Chiang Mai with lots of nightlife, friendly BGs and some really good restaurants. However, after the local economy collapsed around 1997, it went downhill. It is not very exciting anymore. 

10 hours ago, BigKahuna said:

It was dead quiet when I went. Maybe ok for couples who like the quiet life and dont go out much. Well presented and cleaner than some other towns but boring.

What some say is boring others love it . I would not move from here , and go where? Back home to Australia . Chiang Rai is the place to be to my wife and I . Everyone will find were they want to be  sooner or latter

56 minutes ago, kevvy said:

What some say is boring others love it . I would not move from here , and go where? Back home to Australia . Chiang Rai is the place to be to my wife and I . Everyone will find were they want to be  sooner or latter

Exactly. 

I hope that people continue to think of Chiang Rai as boring and if they want night life and bars, go to Phuket, Pattaya or Bangkok.

Why should every town in Thailand be reduced to drink, drugs and sex bars?

I love the peace and culture in Chiang Rai, long may it continue.

9 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

How do rentals for homes/condos/apartments compare to Chang Mai and other areas?

I would imagine less expensive due to the complaints above of it being "boring".

Quiet the opposite.

Chiang Mai has hundreds and hundreds of apartments and properties to chose from.

Chiang Rai, because it is less populated, has very little in the way of choice. A handful of Condo's (more being built unfortunately) and houses are more basic. Rental values are around 7,500 to 15,000/month for a half decent 2/3 bedroom house and between 7,500 to 10,000/month for a small 30 Mtr 1 bed apartment.

Long may Chiang Rai be out of favour with the sweaty, booze crazed, back packing drug and sex addicts and leave it to the more cultured............555

• 1 month later...
On 4/11/2017 at 1:24 PM, XJ650 said:

If you look for girlie bars etc you better go to Phuket, Pattaya and BKK. 

But if you are more interested in Culture,  interesting roads with beautiful views, meeting nice people etc Chiang Rai is a good choice.

See more in http://mkcrtour.com/

You're right about meeting nice people.  I would happily move from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai.  There are a few things that stand out to me about CM that I do like, but really it's turning into a speeding traffic shithole full of unfriendliness and greed.

37 minutes ago, Nowisee said:

You're right about meeting nice people.  I would happily move from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai.  There are a few things that stand out to me about CM that I do like, but really it's turning into a speeding traffic shithole full of unfriendliness and greed.

Chiang Rai is so more laid back and relaxed. Not for everyone, especially those who want brothels, go go bars and nightclubs. They should stick to Pattaya or Phuket.

The whole scene in Chiang Rai is more for the cultured rather than the Sexpat.

Great place and hopefully it will stay that way.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, charliebadenhop said:

Friendly and low key here.

Thank you. Nice to hear that. Do you know how old proof of income letter from Embassy can be? Here in Jomtien it has to be less than one month. Also how far in advance can you apply for renewal of the extension?

Thanks again.

9 minutes ago, frodo77 said:

Thank you. Nice to hear that. Do you know how old proof of income letter from Embassy can be? Here in Jomtien it has to be less than one month. Also how far in advance can you apply for renewal of the extension?

Thanks again.

• 90 day report 15 days before, 7 days after
  • visa extension 30 - 45 days before
  • income verification can be 6 months old (per gov't notice)

Archived