What Do You Like About Thailand?

chinadarling

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...and for the first time in my life i feel truly at home here.

Every time someone says that, I wish they would go on to explain how or why this is the case... like the topic started out here, "what do you like about Thailand" rather than "how much do you like Thailand". :o Honestly, I wish I knew the secret behind this statement. I am not teasing...

Personally, I have found that "home" is where my wife is, so while I am here and call this home, I would leave in a flash and never look back if she needed to move somewhere else again. Oddly enough, when travelling without her, the only things that give me the "home" feeling are not people nor culture. It is little details like the sunlight hitting something at just the right angle or a certain crisp feeling in the air. Geographic nostalgia. Sentimental stuff that reminds of childhood in mid-northern latitudes. Thailand has none of those triggers for me, and it leaves me sort of blank as a result.

Geographic nostalgia. My home is where my wife is. A poet, romantic, and scientist.

Pleasure to meet you.

I did a strange thing in my early twenties. I renounced stuff. While living in a Buddhist monastery.

I renounced in a ritual environment, with full, educated, and aware intention, witnessed by my most respected peer group.

Decisions like that are incisions, going right down into you.

I mention this, as one thing I renounced, ritually, was the feeling for home. As Budhism started with a traditon of wandering beggars, there remains a tradition to respect having no place to call home.

I lived on the road as travelling salesman for some years, not because of vows to Mr. Buddha man to be a wanderer. Seemed I liked it.

I lived at edge of poverty for some years.

Gypsys and Hippies live at a certain edge, as they respect values. Monks, mystics, many push aside TV and money, in order to listen more clearly to what else might come up.

Ok, long post. Lost your attention. Home and security are also fun when mobile and changing. A nostalgic sense of place and home, feeling for ones mountains, for ones home hot dogs, that root, can seep out of a strangers eyes, in a strange land.

Thailand is unique in various aspects, like the food - people - Weather - nightlife (not Tourist spots) - events, etc..

Gotta love this country, I live here with my family and soon they may be leaving. I wanna stay for sure, thou it will depend on other issues.

Some love it.....

Some hate it.....

Some have never even been here.....

Some live here, some don't.....

There are all types on TV, some can't get over the fact that Thailand isn't like where they originated from!

Personally, I love it, will never move back to the states. Yea, it can be corrupt, who cares. Do I miss home? No, been gone so long, I don't even think about it anymore.

I'm not from the States, but have travelled a lot there. The US is a beautiful country. Did you forget the Grand Canyon, the Rockies, Lakes, Niagara Falls, the deserts, the plains, the Bad Lands, the beautiful coastlines of Atlantic, Pacific and Gulf etc etc? Did you forget the 4 seasons?

To be honest, Thailand scenically doesn't hold a candle to the US...not many countries do. There's a reason almost 300 million people live there. It's a great country....I'll admit that and I'm from Australia.

You are correct, the USA is a beautiful country...... I too have visited most of the places on your list.

Never have experienced a traditional 4 seasons, I originated in San Diego.

While I appreciate all that you say, I for one, wouldn't move back to the USA. I will visit, but at the end of the day, I will come home to Thailand. Having spent 1/2 of my life outside the USA, the reality is it has almost always been a tourist destination for me, rarely a home.

:o What do I like about Thailand....here I like myself....when I came to thailand my balls touched the ground...not my words but of one whe spent 48 years in Japan, a Yankeedoodledandy...but as an Aussie after 7 years here I can only reiterate his senitments...I belong nowhere but here is where I am now and the now is all we have so enjoy it....all is impermanent...totally agree with those who voiced their like at the lack of Christianity...All religion is a form of terrorism!!!!! :D Dukkha

TYPICAL MORNING IN PATTAYA CITY

I like the underdone toast, the fried sunnyside-up snotty egg, the slimey bacon rashers and the green tomato swilled down with the warm Chang beer at my regular breakfast cheap-charlie eaterie on the Beach Road.

My nearby breakfast companions are obese holiday-makers wearing once-a-year short pants; exposing etioated legs, they masticate furiously and pucker salivating lips towards their latest soi 6 squeeze.

GREAT!

I like the underdone toast, the fried sunnyside-up snotty egg, the slimey bacon rashers and the green tomato swilled down with the warm Chang beer at my regular breakfast cheap-charlie eaterie on the Beach Road.

My nearby breakfast companions are obese holiday-makers wearing once-a-year short pants; exposing etioated legs, they masticate furiously and pucker salivating lips towards their latest soi 6 squeeze.

GREAT!

Etioated?? The word you were looking for is etiolated. If you are going to use a thesaurus please pay more attention next time.

GREAT!

Etioated?? The word you were looking for is etiolated. If you are going to use a thesaurus please pay more attention next time.

Well spotted!

Etiolated. I rarely use a thesaurus. I seldom make spelling errors.

But you knew what I meant pedant.

Merry Christmas 'pig-trough'.

In Thailand you feel alive! :o

Yes! exactly! Back when I lived in Philadelphia working a 9 - 5 for the phone company, time seemed to rush by like water wirlpooling down a drain. Somehow, for me Thailand is different. It is as if every day counts, like your living aware, truely present each and everyday. I feel truly alive and as if each day is a lil bit more meaningful somehow.

GREAT!

Use one? hasn't he ate one?

:o

I'm getting a little bit fed up with all these ass-licking posts and comments like: if you don't like it, get out!

Thailand is problably the weirdest place on earth:

-The people are hypocritical liars

-It's corrupt as can be

-There's a very negative attitide towards farang (behind the fake smiles)

-For beautiful beaches, we really have to go to other countries around the globe

-The food is horrible and not Thai at all (Chinees, Malay)

-Traffic

-Pollution

-Etc....

But still we love it! Weird, na?

TIT

I don't know if I have a right to give my thoughts, as I don't live there yet. But here goes.

I am 65 retired for 6 years, live in the US, in Indiana. The last 6 year I have just been spinning my wheels. Waiting till my next trip tp LOS. On the computer looking at Thailand web sites.

After 4 trips 3 at 1month each and 1 at 10 weeks. I made the decesion, to give it a try and move

there. So after I sell my house I will give it a try.

Thanks for listening to me.

Mike /aka whittler

I'm getting a little bit fed up with all these ass-licking posts and comments like: if you don't like it, get out!

-It's corrupt as can be

-For beautiful beaches, we really have to go to other countries around the globe

-Traffic

-Pollution

-Etc....

TIT

You're a "glass half empty" sorta guy ain't you? :o

-It's corrupt as can be

-Traffic

-Pollution

-Etc....

TIT

You're a "glass half empty" sorta guy ain't you? :D

Dammm sounds more like a "glass half full of piss" sorta guy :o

Mabey he has never been to, Cairo, Philippines, Indonesia, or Cambodia....

-It's corrupt as can be

-Traffic

-Pollution

-Etc....

TIT

You're a "glass half empty" sorta guy ain't you? :o

There is quite a few of them sort of Farangs in Thailand, they all just paraniod that everyone hates them.

But they still love it! Weird na?

-It's corrupt as can be

-Traffic

-Pollution

-Etc....

Dammit. Sounds like you live in Bangkok!? :o

Three cheers for Isaan! (OK, except for the beaches...)

Edited by toptuan

I like the lack of Christian influence here.

I like the lack of Zionist influence here

I like the lack of Islamic influence here

I like the lack of anti-religious bigotry influence here

(...until you meet farangs like the above...) :o

Edited by toptuan

without reading what the others have said....i read the title and i think its meant to be a positive thread no?? :D

anyway....i wont say why i love thailand....you will say im biased anyway...which I am :D but will tell you what my friends say they love about thailand.....

they say cos its got me :o:D hehehe

<wanders off to narcissist land>> :D

I love it because it is

- Interesting. You always spot something that surprises you. Be it five people and a dog on the same motorbike, a spontaneous parade by some obscure Chinese cult, a fruit you have never seen before, a colourful insect, a weird person (farang or Thai, the place is full of weirdos of all sorts).

- Beautiful. There are so many scenic spots all over the country, well worth going to.

- Different. Spice of life.

- The same. People still feel pretty much the same thing inside, they just manifest it differently.

- The contradictions. In no country have I felt so much kindness, and along the same lines, in no other country have so many people been so intent on fleecing me for a few extra bucks. There really are all sorts of people here, and it makes life more exciting, although tiring sometimes.

- Cheap. I can eat excellent food for a fraction of the price it would cost back home. I can afford to have a new car, rent a decent house, and generally not worry too much about money. A lot of time back home was spent thinking about money.

- Wholesome family entertainment.