'Poor student' story questioned on social media

webfact

'Poor student' story questioned on social media
By The Nation

edfbb691dafba6053ba6edbeef4dcb02-sld.jpe

BANGKOK: -- A successful plea for donations has turned into a drama after someone raises a question as to whether a would-be engineering student is really so cash-strapped. 

Atiwat Witpichitchai has already received more than Bt1.6million in donations, after his aunt went to social media to lament that he was going to miss his chance to study at the Kasetsart University’s Engineering Faculty because he could not afford tuition fees. 

“Please help investigate…if this boy is really poor. I’ve received so many tips-off that he is not in a financial difficulty,” the famous Facebook page, “Queentogetherisone” said. 

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30309053

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-03-14

Stories like these are just a nonsense.

If he had some major disability in some way or had suffered extreme hardship or misfortune through no fault of his own , fair enough. Then, MAYBE, go to social media for assistance. I notice particularly the serious obligatory "  I'm not-lying-here-are my documents to say I am poor " begging face in the photo. What makes him different from the millions of other kids???

I attended grammar school as a youngster, on a government scholarship system based on my exam results. I still held an after school job to pay for the expensive trips and obligatory outings that were a part of grammar school life. I am 53 and it was shameful where I grew up to beg charity or ask for money.You helped yourself or you didn't get. It was a mantra to us, God helps those, who help themselves!!!

The world is full of kids who cannot go to university because their families haven't got the money.

I know a Cambodian guy that changed faith from Buddhism so he could study at a Christian school as a young kid. He then burnt the midnight oil working jobs and tried his hand at everything from hotel work to acting as an agent to sell land to people in Siem Reap, organizing pick ups and airport drops and tours for foreigners in his spare time. But guess what? He put himself through university himself. He is doing OK for himself and always has a smile but thinks on his feet. I think he's a Buddhist again these days!!!..:smile:

What he didn't do was go "crying the poor tale " on social media to get funds. And, unfortunately, in Thailand, we can pretty much guarantee a great deal of the 1.6 million baht will not go to its intended purpose unless somebody very responsible is involved overseeing it or there is a clause that the monies must be paid direct to the university for its stipulated purpose only.

There are simply too many going now to funding sources such as crowdfunding, just giving, Go fund me, etc  for non legitimate causes.

THESE FUND SOURCES DO NOT CARE WHAT THE CAUSE IS AS THEY ARE ON A PERCENTAGE OF FUNDS RAISED.

Foreigners are no better, having motorbike accidents and unable to pay hospital fees because they are uninsured,  scooter and jet ski deaths and unable to return the body to the home country for similar reasons., again uninsured. They then expect to open a Go fund me page and those who are responsible adults whilst travelling to donate to their plight caused by their own fecklessness.