Cursor Goes Crazy, Opens/closes Windows Virus?

my benny rai

At first I thought it was my laser mouse but I disconnected it and used a more traditional mouse. But the quirk persists: suddenly, unexplainably, it looks like someone has taken control of my computer at high speed, moving cursor around and opening / closing windows. This goes on for about 2 or 3 seconds about once every few hours or so. I am running a legit copy of Windows XP with SP 2. I have not installed OFFICE.

Is this a virus or a sign that someone is hacking my computer through the internet?

Any help or suggestions you can give is much appreciated.

At first I thought it was my laser mouse but I disconnected it and used a more traditional mouse. But the quirk persists: suddenly, unexplainably, it looks like someone has taken control of my computer at high speed, moving cursor around and opening / closing windows. This goes on for about 2 or 3 seconds about once every few hours or so. I am running a legit copy of Windows XP with SP 2. I have not installed OFFICE.

Is this a virus or a sign that someone is hacking my computer through the internet?

Any help or suggestions you can give is much appreciated.

Likely a bad mouse driver. Reinstall the mouse driver, and have your antivirus do a boot sector scan when you reboot just to be safe. If you are having trouble try the above in safe mode.

The chances that some stranger is physicaly trying to break into your computer is so miniscule as to be almost an urban legend. Most can get access by sending infected emails.

If reinstalling of the mouse driver doesn’t work you have two other options….

1) If cheap mouse, buy new mouse…

2) If expensive mouse, check warranty and bring back to shop for repair (still buy cheap mouse, so you can work when they repair the mouse)

Irradic mouse gestures would perhaps sound like a hardware problem.

But opening and closing of windows to ?

It sounds more to me like there's an infection of some kind.

Autoit malware scripts does exactly this, they can move the cursor and open and close

windows (applications to).

Probably you have been infected by something based on, or similar to this.

Edited by friend2