PHOTOS: Fire rips through Walking Street bar

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Bill3173 said:

It is very unlikely a such small animal would cause such a fault. First off, squirrels would have trouble reaching from one phase to another, also they jump and do not step across. In my home country where I use to work, we would have trouble with possums causing faults, they can hang on with their tails whilst stepping across to a different phase. If they shorted across the HV they would likely be blown to bits and may blow the HV fuse at the transformer, or set off the ACR (circuit breaker) back at the Terminal / Distribution station. If they shorted across the LV, they may blow the LV fuse at the transformer if on the load side of the fuse. Normally they get burnt to a crisp without causing any real damage.

If, as Nvass mentioned in post 16, that they bypassed the fuse (a huge no no), this would indicate an intermittent fault or over loaded circuit. My guess (and it is a guess) is an overloaded circuit / transformer. This comes about because most of the infrastructure was put in place 20, 30 or even 40 years ago and not designed for todays requirements. Over the years with the increase in the number of A/C’s, sound systems, computers, TV’s etc etc. the transformers become overloaded and need upgrading. If not upgraded they can become extremely hot and faulty and you can see what happens.    

I also doubt Cyril the Squirrel did this amount of damage,  I had a golden tree snake climb my transformer pole and get between two phases on the HT side of the transformer, it blew the insulators and cleared the head fuses. 

It is very possible an overload condition on the consumer side of the transformer caused the cable to heat up and ignite the 'protective' surrounding plastic conduit if the back up fuses did not clear for some reason.

Edited by CatCage

this is more Thai passive aggressiveness.

you see it everywhere, in everything in the country.

Powerless people, (no pun intended) many who know what is happening is wrong, but just sit back and watch the country burn because it proves them right after being told to shut up. 

Edited by NCC1701A

On ‎16‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 9:18 AM, craigt3365 said:

As you can see in the above photo, quite a few musicians lost everything.  They are devastated.  Not only did they lose their instruments, they've lost their jobs. 

Damage are not really important in fact. Nearly only the front of the bar burnt.

144.jpg

On this pic taken yesterday, you would barely notice that they got a fire here !  :cool:

I think it could not stay closed very long.

Edited by Pattaya46