Non imm type o 20,000 baht requirement

I'm not sure if something got lost in translation yesterday. We went to the Ranong Grand Andaman pier. My wife was told all we had to do in future, was go with the 20,000 to the main immigration office in Ranong, and I would get another 90 days. She believed they meant no travel across the water to Burma. Next time on town, we'll pop into the office, and get some clarity on this.

Sent from my iris 505 using Tapatalk

Same thing happened to my and my family upon entering Thailand through the Padan Besar border crossing. We were told we'd need to show money or we would not be allowed into the country. The amounts needed were 10.000b for both of my parents (entering on a visa exempt stamp) and 20.000b for myself (entering on a non-O visa). I've crossed the border here dozens of times over the past 12 years and this is the first time I have seen this rule being enforced. Lucky for us my wife was with us and we had our car as well, allowing my wife to locate an ATM on the Thai side to get the money be sorted. Others weren't so lucky and were sent back into Malaysia to find an ATM and come back with the cash. 

Yesterday my 1st thought was what kind of idiot would normally walk around with that kind of money on them.
Today and chatting with my other half. Someone is going to get hurt or worse for that 20,000. Expats and tourists will be seen as cash cows by the local thugs.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mosha said:

Yesterday my 1st thought was what kind of idiot would normally walk around with that kind of money on them.
Today and chatting with my other half. Someone is going to get hurt or worse for that 20,000. Expats and tourists will be seen as cash cows by the local thugs.

Agreed.  Use Travelers Checks, which are accepted.  Also, I am going to be carrying a "fake wallet" on my next trip, due to the increased likelihood of being mugged.  Like when I lived in high-crime areas (the USA and Central America), a "fake-wallet," "money belt," and travelers checks for most of the sum, are the best way to deal with the situation.

• 2 months later...

Well consistency would be nice. Last run from Ranong Andaman Club Pier, gobby cow gives me hard time about 20k and why did we go to Mukdahan etc. I went 13 days early today. Just to ensure I had the cash. Not a word is said. She wasn't there.

The Burmese side have had a makeover. Chatty and smiles. I nearly missed the boat back, they wanted to know about a book I was reading. So a brief lesson on The Wars of the Roses lol.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Mosha said:

Well consistency would be nice. Last run from Ranong Andaman Club Pier, gobby cow gives me hard time about 20k and why did we go to Mukdahan etc. I went 13 days early today. Just to ensure I had the cash. Not a word is said. She wasn't there.

If I understand you correctly, you are complaining that this time and all the times prior to the second to the last time you were not asked to show 20k Baht.

• Like 1

If I understand you correctly, you are complaining that this time and all the times prior to the second to the last time you were not asked to show 20k Baht.

I'd just like them to apply the law, I can work round that. The inconsistency is annoying.

10 minutes ago, Mosha said:

I'd just like them to apply the law, I can work round that. The inconsistency is annoying.

That's not how this particular requirement – and also some other parts – of the Immigration Act are meant to be implemented. Imagine how much longer the queues at immigration checkpoints would be if compliance with every single requirement were verified in detail. In other words and luckily for the travellers, for some requirements the immigration officers only need to do spot checks. In my experience, this is the same in other countries to which I have travelled.

• Like 2

That's not how this particular requirement – and also some other parts – of the Immigration Act are meant to be implemented. Imagine how much longer the queues at immigration checkpoints would be if compliance with every single requirement were verified in detail. In other words and luckily for the travellers, for some requirements the immigration officers only need to do spot checks. In my experience, this is the same in other countries to which I have travelled.

Funny thing is I did not see one foreigner in the Andaman Club. On returning I saw 1 other passport at the Burmese immigration, a blue one. I saw no foreigners in the club. On the Thai side as I returned I saw 1 westerner leaving Thailand. Spot check delay? What delay?

i went to andaman club last week of april and friend went 1 week earlier or so. NOBODY was asked for 20k or any money for that matter.

the worst that would happen is a white note or two would need to be inserted...and that's usually if something is wrong on your side (e.g. too many VE entries)

a third friend no problems either a month earlier. all non-o multiples.

Funny thing is I did not see one foreigner in the Andaman Club. On returning I saw 1 other passport at the Burmese immigration, a blue one. I saw no foreigners in the club. On the Thai side as I returned I saw 1 westerner leaving Thailand. Spot check delay? What delay?

mostly thais going to gamble and maybe play around in the pool. just the occassional western tourist pass through; usually border run or duty-free gift shop.

interestingly enough though, andaman club thai side has ATMs right in the lobby [emoji48]

i went to andaman club last week of april and friend went 1 week earlier or so. NOBODY was asked for 20k or any money for that matter.

the worst that would happen is a white note or two would need to be inserted...and that's usually if something is wrong on your side (e.g. too many VE entries)

a third friend no problems either a month earlier. all non-o multiples.

mostly thais going to gamble and maybe play around in the pool. just the occassional western tourist pass through; usually border run or duty-free gift shop.

interestingly enough though, andaman club thai side has ATMs right in the lobby [emoji48]

I forgot to check if those ATMs can read chipped ATM cards. I live in Ranong, and the 2 nearest me can't.

I forgot to check if those ATMs can read chipped ATM cards. I live in Ranong, and the 2 nearest me can't.

bangkok bank atms can all read chips for some time now. it's the other thai banks that must play catchup.

i think the other one is Krung Thai. i'm confident it will, for Andaman's sake.
  • Like 1

bangkok bank atms can all read chips for some time now. it's the other thai banks that must play catchup.

i think the other one is Krung Thai. i'm confident it will, for Andaman's sake.

Yes it is KTB. I have a Kasikorn card. I asked at KTB if it could read chipped cards. Blank look, the she said.
This KTB bank your card Kasikorn.
I replied I know, but it's your ATM at the Andaman Club Immigration.
Then she came back with Can only use card in Kasikorn ATM. I clenched my teeth and left.

On 15-3-2017 at 5:35 AM, Mosha said:

I don't know what world you live in, but 20,000 is "very little money", according to my wife. And she should know, since she's the one that does most of the spending in our house. We are talking Baht here, not Euro or Pound sterling.

And as to the cash cows (or kwai) part of your statement: it's not just the local thugs that see us that way, it's more a general population thing.

So, no worries!

3 hours ago, Mosha said:

Yes it is KTB. I have a Kasikorn card. I asked at KTB if it could read chipped cards. Blank look, the she said.
This KTB bank your card Kasikorn.
I replied I know, but it's your ATM at the Andaman Club Immigration.
Then she came back with Can only use card in Kasikorn ATM. I clenched my teeth and left.

Just walk up to the ATM in question and check it.  It will usually either have it in writing or the symbol for where you put in the card will have a chip on it showing which direction to insert the chipped end.  Also you can just insert it and check or wait for someone else to walk up to it and try to peek at the debit card.  It will reject the card immediately saying it cannot read card with pin.

Most of the major banks have switched frequented ATMs to chip.  Some of the smaller thai banks or atms that are not too frequented .

Just walk up to the ATM in question and check it.  It will usually either have it in writing or the symbol for where you put in the card will have a chip on it showing which direction to insert the chipped end.  Also you can just insert it and check or wait for someone else to walk up to it and try to peek at the debit card.  It will reject the card immediately saying it cannot read card with pin.

Most of the major banks have switched frequented ATMs to chip.  Some of the smaller thai banks or atms that are not too frequented .

I just didn't want to get there, and find I couldn't withdraw. Money was late being released. Call me paranoid, but it seems its always on a falling pound lol.

21 hours ago, Maestro said:

My only comment on this would be that if you have shown 400,000 (or 40,000 monthly income) in the bank to get a 1 year multi O there is no sensible reason to ask you to show 20,000 cash every time you enter.

But then again who am I??

My only comment on this would be that if you have shown 400,000 (or 40,000 monthly income) in the bank to get a 1 year multi O there is no sensible reason to ask you to show 20,000 cash every time you enter.
But then again who am I??

Understand that but brexit stuffed me.. RIP should help end of June. Plus a Con win.

Yep, cut my income by about 20%.
We can all live in hope.

Even with the cash, because of my location, on a marriage extension I get a lot of visits. They come around looking for unregistered Burmese. They usually call. Pain in the bum. With a non o I'm left alone.

There is an English sign in  Penang Thai consulate, that has been on display there for at least 2 years.

It is right next to where you apply for a visa to Thailand.

It states clearly that you may be asked to show the amount of 20K Thai Baht when crossing into Thailand by land border from Malaysia. (10k per person or 20K per couple)

When you are applying for a Thai visa in Penang it is less than a meter away from you..

I have 3 SETV from Penang, but I have always crossed the border by air.

Not required to show funds on arrival that way.

On 3/15/2017 at 11:35 AM, Mosha said:

totally agree; i wonder where they cane up with these amounts

On 6/1/2017 at 9:21 AM, IMA_FARANG said:

There is an English sign in  Penang Thai consulate, that has been on display there for at least 2 years.

It is right next to where you apply for a visa to Thailand.

It states clearly that you may be asked to show the amount of 20K Thai Baht when crossing into Thailand by land border from Malaysia. (10k per person or 20K per couple)

When you are applying for a Thai visa in Penang it is less than a meter away from you..

I have 3 SETV from Penang, but I have always crossed the border by air.

Not required to show funds on arrival that way.

Like most, I've never been to the consulate, itself, thanks to the agent-system - but glad to see they warn folks.

Note that you can be asked to show funds when arriving by air, as many have found out the hard-way.  I am glad they have left you alone thus-far.