Government orders - homeless and beggars cleared out of Rama 4 and Sukhumvit

webfact

Government orders - homeless and beggars cleared out of Rama 4 and Sukhumvit

1am.jpg

Picture: Daily News

BANGKOK: -- Police made 39 arrests in the Rama 4 and Sukhumvit Road areas of Bangkok yesterday rounding up the homeless and those begging on the streets.

The authorities alleged it was because of annoyance caused by people particularly in Klong Toey offering to clean the windshields of motorists, Daily News reported.

Police said many threatened drivers when they said they didn't want the service.

But several said yesterday that they weren't involved - they wanted to know what crime they had committed.

Police handed them over to welfare authorities to sort out the problem.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-03-16

Sure, there is a ggod thing to clean up the streets, but it´s going a little bit too far.
First it was all the vendors and street markets that was shuffles away to different corners out the cities outskirts.
Now it´s all the beggars that are shuffled away.

I don´t say that anyone should need to beg for money to make a living, but in some kind of way all this clean-ups take away a big part of the country´s heart and soul.

1 hour ago, Get Real said:

Sure, there is a ggod thing to clean up the streets, but it´s going a little bit too far.
First it was all the vendors and street markets that was shuffles away to different corners out the cities outskirts.

I don´t say that anyone should need to beg for money to make a living, but in some kind of way all this clean-ups take away a big part of the country´s heart and soul.

So would you like this mob begging near your house ?  Dont forget that the so called beggars on Sukhumwit are run by gangs and lead a terrible existence, children included. They are cases of human trafficking used to make money for the gangs. Dont see that as heart and soul of any country

42 minutes ago, jaiyen said:

So would you like this mob begging near your house ?  Dont forget that the so called beggars on Sukhumwit are run by gangs and lead a terrible existence, children included. They are cases of human trafficking used to make money for the gangs. Dont see that as heart and soul of any country

Oh! I see we got another one that has fallen for the false information that circulates. Sure, there are the ones that are connected to gangs and mob activities, but not in thebig way you are expressing it.
Today the gangs and the mob have more effective methods of generating money. Most of the beggars that you see on the streets are poor people that need money for taking care of themselfs.

2 hours ago, Get Real said:

I disagree.

In time, more beggers, the downtrodden will flood the popular begging areas.

Competitive fights break out with other beggars/tourists, the drug sellers follow, and then tent sites show up in concealed areas close by.

It's better to push them away from tourist areas and visible downtown areas fast.

We are seeing the beginning of begging from tourists and a few expats on overstays.

They have to do it now, as it will get worse as time passes with a worldwide financial retreat.

2 hours ago, Get Real said:

Oh! I see we got another one that has fallen for the false information that circulates. Sure, there are the ones that are connected to gangs and mob activities, but not in thebig way you are expressing it.
Today the gangs and the mob have more effective methods of generating money. Most of the beggars that you see on the streets are poor people that need money for taking care of themselfs.

Since you speak so definitively, please tell us how you know what you're saying here is actually factual. Or are you just repeating what you've heard? Or are you assuming?

Just now, HerbalEd said:

Since you speak so definitively, please tell us how you know what you're saying here is actually factual. Or are you just repeating what you've heard? Or are you assuming?

You get that experience after working with and have close contacts with different NGO´s over Asia.

5 hours ago, Get Real said:

passing the buck to the welfare department.

WOW who says testosterone decreases with age its out in full force here. Is society now entering a lazy stage? have families given up looking after their own? Is mental disease on the increase to the point where people become non functional or is it society trying to sweep them under the rug. Take your pick

This business of asking (forcing) motorists to pay for cleaning windscreens isn't a local problem.  I spent 3 months in Mexico recently and on the daily commute to the job we were regularly approached when stopped at a red light by these people.  There was a culture of either pay me or your vehicle gets a beating.  Our mexican driver said it is better to pay up, 10 pesos maybe 20 baht.  If the police can stop this from happening here it is only good and proper.

7 hours ago, Get Real said:

Beggars, many of whom are illegals using babies and children, are the heart and soul of the country?  Really?  Good grief.

Edited by gdgbb

21 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

Beggars, many of whom are illegals using babies and children, are the heart and soul of the country?  Really?  Good grief.

What I meant was the total clean-up that is happening everywhere, not only this as I mentioned.
I you cared to read the following conversation you would have been having a clearer picture. However there are faults with everything and of course there are illigals, people that are using their children as a way of getting what they want or need. There are also all the ones that have no where to go and must have their children with them for beeing as responsible to them as humanly possibly due to their situation in society.

So sure, Good greif! Nobody would be happier than me if there wasn´t people that needed to be where they are and put out their hands in a desperate need for the small help they can get.

I think those flowervendors at stoplights are also annoying/dangerous...motocycles drive between the cars and don't expect vendors to suddenly step infront of them.

Who'll pay for the damage if they cause an accident? Not them i bet.

Anyone who has lived here long enough knows the routine. I have seen them dropped off in BMW's in the morning and picked up late at night. This is human trafficking. Do you really think the gangs are going to let a freelance beggar in their territory? Get real.

Since the last crackdown announcement, the gangs have moved the beggars off main Sukhumvit and they are now into the sois. You see the same beggars in the same spot every day.

Edited by scoutman360

I recognise about half of that lot from the street.

They are truly homeless, not like the woman and "their" children deposited at over passes every day.

Never seen any of this lot begging or annoying people. They're also not the one's who try to clean car windscreens.

A harmless bunch from what I've seen.

10 hours ago, Get Real said:

You get that experience after working with and have close contacts with different NGO´s over Asia.

It rather depends on what NGO's you choose to associate with. Some very dedicated people for sure , but also many who have a very nice lifestyle and will twist data to maintain their budgets and positions.

4 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

It rather depends on what NGO's you choose to associate with. Some very dedicated people for sure , but also many who have a very nice lifestyle and will twist data to maintain their budgets and positions.

Oh dear! Why didn´t I see it coming? Of course it would be something negative with that too, and somebody that had knowledge about that it´s wrong here too!
Some do this, and some do that! Yeah, right! Almost any primeminister do something the people don´t like, almost every painter sometimes paint with the wrong color....and so on!

Edited by Get Real
Uppdate on that a carpenter doesn´t paint. Just like I didn´t know that! It was a mistake!!! :shock1:

11 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Oh dear! Why didn´t I see it coming? Of course it would be something negative with that too, and somebody that had knowledge about that it´s wrong here too!
Some do this, and some do that! Yeah, right! Almost any primeminister do something the people don´t like, almost every carpenter sometimes paint with the wrong color....and so on!

are you on the Leo tonight, Carpenter works with wood

Just now, oldgent said:

are you on the Leo tonight, Carpenter works with wood

No, just woke up after a good sleep. :smile: You see what I mean! Everybody occasionly do something wrong, or there is something wrong everywhere. LOL

3 minutes ago, Get Real said:

No, just woke up after a good sleep. :smile: You see what I mean! Everybody occasionly do something wrong, or there is something wrong everywhere. LOL

yea got you, the man that never made a mistake never done nothing

I agree that most vendors  selling flowers / food / etc. at red lights are dangerous. While I understand they need to make a living, I almost hit them so many times when driving a motorcycle and they suddenly pop in front of me. I have no problem with genuinely helping someone in need, but some of them are connected to gangs which I try to avoid. I remember a year ago, someone was looking like needing some help, I approached him with a 20 baht note, and upon getting closer, I saw a pack of Marlboro in the man's pocket. I backed off and let this con artist rot.

Scammers / gangs are making it harder for people who genuinely need help.

1 hour ago, SiamBeast said:

I agree that most vendors  selling flowers / food / etc. at red lights are dangerous. While I understand they need to make a living, I almost hit them so many times when driving a motorcycle and they suddenly pop in front of me. I have no problem with genuinely helping someone in need, but some of them are connected to gangs which I try to avoid. I remember a year ago, someone was looking like needing some help, I approached him with a 20 baht note, and upon getting closer, I saw a pack of Marlboro in the man's pocket. I backed off and let this con artist rot.

Scammers / gangs are making it harder for people who genuinely need help.

When i lived in the city there always was that beggar, old cripple man and one day i gave him a 20....another day i gave him a 100.

After that he always tried to block my way, i gave him a 20 one day but he demanded a 100 which i didn't give. Since then he always blocked my way and tried to grab my arms...

He was the last beggar i ever sponsored...now only the ones on a market or so who sit on the floor and don't harass anybody get something from me...especially the real handicapped ones.

I have been advised from my Thai family that not all of these beggers are even Thai people,

but have come from Cambodia, and Burma, by people smugglers. They cannot get good

jobs, so are forced to beg to pay back the smugglers. Every so often they are rounded up

and taken to the borders and are deported back to their own countries.

Geezer

Edited by Stargrazer9889
misspelling

I have an unpopular opinion here: I don't think we should give money for free to poor people.

There are people who "try" to make a living - selling food, playing a musical instrument, etc. and I think we can give money to those people, as they are earning it. But when it comes to people who are actually poor and do nothing, you must remember one thing: People are poor because they do not know how money works. This means that if you give "free" money to poor people, they will go buy beer and cigarettes, because they do not know how money works. Instead of giving them money, we should give them food, clothes, toys, but not money.