Thais asked to honour Earth Hour and switch off

snoop1130

Thais asked to honour Earth Hour and switch off

By Tanatpong Kongsai

The Nation

2dcd665a34df3e199356d0c1ba3c92e9.jpeg

All Thais are invited to join the international community in the “60+ Earth Hour 2017” campaign to help save energy power by turning off the lights for one hour on March 25, starting at 8.30pm.

Bangkok deputy governor Jakkapan Pew-ngam noted that the campaign, which has been held in Thailand since 2008, helped ACBangkok reduce electricity consumption last year by 2,020 megawatts, equivalent to a reduction of 1,057 tons of carbon monoxide and worth Bt8.03 million.

The campaign will be joined by 7,000 cities in 187 countries worldwide, the deputy governor said. The target this year is to reduce the use of electricity in Bangkok by up to 2,000 megawatts.

The campaign is supported by Foundation for Environmental Education for Sustainable Development (Thailand), the World Wide Fund for Thailand as well as other organisations and government agencies.

The campaign also encourages the turning off of lights on such main roads as Silom, Ratchadaphisek, Khao San, Yaowarat and New Phetchaburi.

The city authorities also urged other provinces including Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani, Samut Prakan, Rayong, Khon Kaen, Nakhon Ratchasima, Udon Thani, Si Sa Ket, Chiang Mai and Phuket to join in the campaign on that day.

Cooperation for the campaign has increased over the years judging by the numbers of organisations willing to join, Chakkapan said. In 2008, only 35 organisations took part in the campaign. This year the number has increased to 116.

Throughout the nine years since the campaign started, power consumption in Bangkok has reduced 14,344 megawatts or by Bt49.01 million and 72,171 tons of carbon monoxide, he added.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30309304

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-3-16

it is good some people are trying to tell other people what they should do.

I was having that thought over my Baked Sea Bass at the Sofitel in Bangkok. I always marvel at how they offset the outside temperature by 20f.

in other news:

"All Marine Life Collapses in the Gulf of Thailand."

Edited by NCC1701A

Bangkok already turns out all the big building lights very early now. 9 - 10pm and all the external/decorative lights on buildings across the city are mostly turned off now. They used to stay on until at least midnight but have been going off earlier and earlier for a few years now.

"The campaign also encourages the turning off of lights on such main roads as Silom, Ratchadaphisek, Khao San, Yaowarat and New Phetchaburi."

Look, I agree with the sentiment of reducing power usage and greenhouse effects, but this country has carnage on its roads daily.

Turning off the lights on major roads is just begging for a serious accident. Turn them off in buildings, office tower blocks, but please don't impact safety and human lives for this.

3 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

it is good some people are trying to tell other people what they should do.

I was sending my wife out on an errand once,  ( I wish she was still as naive).

She had no idea where it was, and Thai addresses are made for people on Mars....No Google Earth back then either.

Told her she'd have to ask directions, and not if, but when the guy/gal somewhat pointed towards the moon, she's have to ask them again to be more specific.

She told me I was just like George Bush, and that I "just wanted to tell everybody what to do."

Somebody has to do it sometimes.

"All Thais are invited to join the international community in the “60+ Earth Hour 2017” campaign to help save energy power by turning off the lights for one hour on March 25, starting at 8.30pm. "

I hope they don't turn off the street lights too. I'd hate to have to walk around in the dark and trip over all the strewn rubbish.

3 hours ago, jaltsc said:

"All Thais are invited to join the international community in the “60+ Earth Hour 2017” campaign to help save energy power by turning off the lights for one hour on March 25, starting at 8.30pm. "

I hope they don't turn off the street lights too. I'd hate to have to walk around in the dark and trip over all the strewn rubbish.

Why don't they honor the earth every day and stop dumping trash for other people to deal with it?

I have the video of this A-hole dumping this mattress around the corner from my house yesterday in broad daylight.

Selection_095.png

5 hours ago, the guest said:

... And this action will do what exactly? Save the planet ?

The only way that can be achieved is by the complete extinction of humans.

The sooner, the better.

There are far better ways to honor the earth, and show some respect for, and awareness of the environment. Thais could start by carrying around reusable plastic bags, and refuse them at all 7/11's, Tesco's, and other stores. They then could begin to bring their own water to restaurants, by refilling their plastic bottles with the 20 liter bottles they have delivered to their home for 15-35 baht. I do this daily. I always bring my own water to restaurants. They rarely say anything, and on the few occasions they have, I ask them if they offer water in glass bottles, or free glasses of water, from the 20 liter bottles? Of course they always say no. I then tell them to go away, as they have not addressed my issue. I figure this saves about 600 plastic bottles a yearSame with the bags. I always have to tell them I brought my own. Mai sai toom seems to be all that is required on that front. I get this look. I mention that plastic is wrecking their nation. Another look. Amusing. Worth the looks. Sometimes I get this faint look of recognition of the problem. Rarely.

Thais are about 30 years behind much of the rest of the world when it comes to anything environmental. And alot of that responsibility rests squarely on the shoulders of very, very small men like Little P., and his predecessors. Men without vision, sincere affection for their nation, and the desire to make sure it has a bright future. Men with money on their minds, not the real problems plaguing the nation. 

Exactly, the amount of rubbish thrown on to the roadside is a real problem that no one wants to solve. Plastic bags, why do people serve drinks in plastic containers and put the in plastic bags with a plastic straw and when they've slurped up their sugary drink, fling it from their motorcycle or out the car window on to the roadside?
The same with polystyrene container's. When they've eaten their cowpat it too is throw into the hedgerow, left to decompose slowly for the next 100 years.

Instead of switching the lights off, clean the roadsides. I'm sure they can find people to help do this, for example those caught littering could help out and those who can't afford to pay fines for crimes committed could pay it off with a bit of community service. Easy job, 1 pair if gloves and some bin bags. Collect the bags and sort out what can be recycled, plastic can be used as fuel to create free electricity. Toxic fumes could be filtered out.