CNN: Bangkok has the best street food in the world

webfact

2 hours ago, gdgbb said:

Only in certain areas.

Well they don't seem to be confining themselves to banning street vendors just from the upmarket areas. Saphan Kwai has been 'Singaporised' too, with many of the street vendors told to p*ss off and big signs put up saying "Thank you for not making a living on this street" or something.

How hypocritical can Prayut get, basking in the plaudits for Bangkok's street food while simultaneously doing all he can to eradicate it, and those who produce it? By the time he's finished, Bangkok will just be one endless shopping mall with no colour, no soul and nothing to recommend it. People will stay away in droves because there will be no reason to visit, apart from the odd temple. And he'll probably encase those in glass and charge farang rates to look at them. It will be Milton Keynes on steroids.

Another one of those fools who, in the immortal words of Oscar Wilde, knows the cost of everything and the value of nothing. A military moron devoid of imagination.

1 hour ago, payttayasquirt said:

Well yeah. Your lungs are polluted dude it's in your system. That's doing a thousand times more damage than chicken soup being eaten in the same environment.

Your logic is bizarre.

.. Errrm never mind

Breathing has filters built in with nose hair, etc.  It still doesn't justify bringing more dirty things into my body from eating. Let me math it out for you.  (Dirty air) < (dirty air + dirty food).  Your logic is weird.

9 hours ago, uchibenkei said:

So because I'm breathing dirty air, i should also eat dirty food instead of going into a restaurant to eat clean food.  Makes sense to me.

Is the restaurant that you will eat in hermetically sealed so that none of the outside air will be able to contaminate your chicken?  Doesn't make sense to me.

8 hours ago, nisakiman said:

Well they don't seem to be confining themselves to banning street vendors just from the upmarket areas. Saphan Kwai has been 'Singaporised' too, with many of the street vendors told to p*ss off and big signs put up saying "Thank you for not making a living on this street" or something.

How hypocritical can Prayut get, basking in the plaudits for Bangkok's street food while simultaneously doing all he can to eradicate it, and those who produce it? By the time he's finished, Bangkok will just be one endless shopping mall with no colour, no soul and nothing to recommend it. People will stay away in droves because there will be no reason to visit, apart from the odd temple. And he'll probably encase those in glass and charge farang rates to look at them. It will be Milton Keynes on steroids.

Another one of those fools who, in the immortal words of Oscar Wilde, knows the cost of everything and the value of nothing. A military moron devoid of imagination.

Prayut is not trying to eradicate street food, where did you get that from?  He is trying to make the pavements that were almost impassable due to the presence of traders and food vendors usable for the public by moving the food stalls, and vendors, to more appropriate places.  Do you really think that visitors come in their droves just to sample Bangkok's street food in the areas that have been cleared?  Most average tourists probably wouldn't go anywhere near a street food vendor!

7 hours ago, uchibenkei said:

Breathing has filters built in with nose hair, etc.  It still doesn't justify bringing more dirty things into my body from eating. Let me math it out for you.  (Dirty air) < (dirty air + dirty food).  Your logic is weird.

Nose hair doesn't clean dirty air!

You are able to calculate how dirty your food is just by looking at it or do you have some kind of test equipment that you produce everywhere that you eat?

Your logic is even more weird.

2 hours ago, gdgbb said:

Is the restaurant that you will eat in hermetically sealed so that none of the outside air will be able to contaminate your chicken?  Doesn't make sense to me.

More than a stall next to a busy roadway is protected, yes.  

2 hours ago, gdgbb said:

Nose hair doesn't clean dirty air!

You are able to calculate how dirty your food is just by looking at it or do you have some kind of test equipment that you produce everywhere that you eat?

Your logic is even more weird.

Now you're really getting desperate.  I said our breathing has filters and gave nose hair as an example. Its not the only filter we have.  you're spinning that into me saying nose hair cleans the air.  That's not what i said.  Now your reading comprehension is starting to match your logic.  Do you have test equipment that says restaurant food is just as contaminated as street food?  

I also love street food from Thailand and everywhere else. Started the first time I pulled into the Philippines on a US Navy submarine in 1983, and have always loved it since. Pick the vendors that have a line of locals buying from them. I'm my experience/opinion people don't line up to get street food from a stall that is known for food poisoning.

I occasionally enjoy street food from certain vendors. You do need to have the stomach for it. Most friends that visit me will experience some of the runs. It does take some time.

As far as tourists go, not so sure they care other than a few pics. In fact if they are part of a tour group from the west they are told best to avoid it. Better than risking getting sick on your holiday.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

8 hours ago, uchibenkei said:

More than a stall next to a busy roadway is protected, yes.  

Well if you're happy to think that the air that is outside cannot get into your immaculate restaurant that it all that matters.

8 hours ago, uchibenkei said:

Now you're really getting desperate.  I said our breathing has filters and gave nose hair as an example. Its not the only filter we have.  you're spinning that into me saying nose hair cleans the air.  That's not what i said.  Now your reading comprehension is starting to match your logic.  Do you have test equipment that says restaurant food is just as contaminated as street food?  

No, I don't have that equipment but then I don't need it because it wasn't me that said that street food is dirtier than restaurant food!    Now your reading comprehension is starting to match your logic.

BANGKOK IS BEST

I have been eating Bangkok Street Food since 1981, and long considered it to be a National Treasure.  The Isan Food in particular is the best in the country.  The service is also superb, they will send out for booze, or anything they don't have, and you get one bill when you've finished eating.  Malaysia is low class, usually you need to pay for each item as it comes, and many  dishes loaded with sugar and grease!

Nonsense. Tourists do not come to bangkok to slurp chicken soup on a tiny plastic stool!

I'm ecstatic I can walk the sois around my condo on lower Sukhumvit without being forced on the main Rd!

Bye bye foot path thieves, Woo-hoo
[emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

15 hours ago, uchibenkei said:

I am sorry, but you said your breathing has filters and gave nose hair as an example (your example to back up a theory that has no bearing in fact).  Your breathing does not have filters on air born pollution ... it is particulate matter that is smaller and would require rather fine filters to do any good..... and your body does not have filters like that.  Your body might expel some pollutants, and put up with a certain amount of pollution, but we have no magic filters for breathing. Most of the particulate pollution is less than 2.5 micrometers in size (really small).   Stuff that irritates you when walking around like ozone - is not that poisonous or likely to be mixed in with your food.  If it were, you would already be dead.  Remember that most of the cooking takes place on charcoal (mmmmm grilled) and things like that.... you know like an unfiltered tailpipe technology of a century ago.   The most dangerous contaminates are likely to be pesticides that were applied later than they were suppose to and not washed off, or contamination like embalming fluid in fish.... and that will happen in a restaurant as well..... it is bought at the same markets.  I have actually been "poisoned" (food poisoned) more often in western environment than here (I mean serious food poisoning). 

BANGKOK IS BEST
I have been eating Bangkok Street Food since 1981, and long considered it to be a National Treasure.  The Isan Food in particular is the best in the country.  The service is also superb, they will send out for booze, or anything they don't have, and you get one bill when you've finished eating.  Malaysia is low class, usually you need to pay for each item as it comes, and many  dishes loaded with sugar and grease!

So very little sugar and grease in Thai food?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

16 hours ago, payttayasquirt said:

Nonsense. Tourists do not come to bangkok to slurp chicken soup on a tiny plastic stool!

I'm ecstatic I can walk the sois around my condo on lower Sukhumvit without being forced on the main Rd!

Bye bye foot path thieves, Woo-hoo
emoji16.pngemoji16.pngemoji16.png

I think you'd be surprised how many tourists do come to Bangkok to sample the street food.

Still, heaven forbid that someone trying to scrape a living should inconvenience you, the big farang, in any way. Gosh, forced to walk round the street sellers! How awful! It must be so stressful for you! Yes, much better to destroy someone's livelihood than to have to deviate from your preferred path in any way. After all, your life is so much more important than theirs, eh?

Really, what you should be doing is either accepting that you have moved to a vibrant Asian city, where street sellers are part of the culture and colour of the city, or move back to Blandsville where you came from so you won't be inconvenienced by people doing what they've always done; that is, providing a vital and reasonably priced service to the local population who don't have the luxury of being able to afford the Hi-So eateries you are able to frequent.

On 3/17/2017 at 7:15 AM, PatOngo said:

I just love the taste of noodle soup in the morning, it's the taste of.............carbon monoxide (CO3)!

Not to mention that Carbon Monoxide [CO] (which is less dense than air) is actually odorless and tasteless.  If it rises in air, how is it going to drop into his noodles?  Does he have some sort of superhuman ability to taste things with no taste?  Does he have magic noodles?  Of course the reason why you are not suppose to operate charcoal grills INDOORS is that while it is less dense than air, in a confined space it can build up (and is undetectable by human senses) and then be dangerous (which is why it is called a silent killer).... which brings me back to the fact that if CO is a bad influence on food -- why do so many of us love char-grilled meat and vegetables?   

Here's a vote for Singapore.  The food courts they have may largely be off the street compared to sidewalk mobile carts. But, you outstanding varieties of flavors plus the cleanliness and relative comfort with a fun atmosphere... prices are very reasonable too.

3 hours ago, Ramen087 said:

Here's a vote for Singapore.  The food courts they have may largely be off the street compared to sidewalk mobile carts. But, you outstanding varieties of flavors plus the cleanliness and relative comfort with a fun atmosphere... prices are very reasonable too.

Actually it is not food courts that are the "replacement" street food but the Hawker Centres which during the last 25 years have been owned by government bodies.  If Thailand wanted to do this it would require a rather massive injection of funds to acquire the land in many many locations -- and then building or upgrading facilities to house them.... then and only then would you move the street vendors to these upgraded locations.  The Hawker Centers have to be conveniently located, not some out of the way location (that was cheaper to acquire).   The implementation of a food inspection agency to grade the vendors.... all of which currently would only serve as a mechanism for more corruption.  

The question though is would you rather live in Singapore or Bangkok?  There seems to be a wish by many to homogenize Bangkok into another Singapore and I know many who live here and in Singapore and if the educational system is deleted from consideration -- all would prefer Bangkok....  I know it is a rather small sample of less than 10 in Singapore and a few in Bangkok....  but Singapore is a great place to visit for a few days, but it is a rather homogenized boring place to live long term (IMHO).