I Hate Like ( A lighthearted grump )

AhFarangJa

Is it just me, or does anyone else get fed up with the propensity for people nowadays ( mainly younger people ), to enter the word 'Like' into every sentence, be it either written, or spoken. 

here is a typical example of what I hear or read nowadays.........

Yeh, my friends and me, like, we decided like to go the mall, and like check out the movies. Well, we picked this film like, but like after we all said we did not like it, so we went for a milk shake, and like, my friends all wanted diet ones, but like I did not care.

OK, mild rant off my chest, but am I alone in this, or have other people noticed how it is increasingly becoming accepted as the norm in the English language......like........:sorry:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I d this myself. sort of a habit...like. the problem is , my kid has started doing it. i wish i didnt but i cant stop....know what i mean like.

Theres a lad I work with who was schooled in the uK. sounds very posh but he does the same. 

Its a bit like some people say errrr or uh huh in mid sentence. 

1 hour ago, roo860 said:

Thought it started as an American thing? Funnily enough I was only thinking the same thing the other day sitting near two American kids.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

It's spread around the world like a virus!

Another term that just about makes me vomit is being call "Dude," by Australians. Dude!?

Am I just getting old and grouchy? Am I nostalgic for the smart local slang of my youth?

Like, you bet I am dudes!

2 hours ago, nikmar said:

I d this myself. sort of a habit...like. the problem is , my kid has started doing it. i wish i didnt but i cant stop....know what i mean like.

Theres a lad I work with who was schooled in the uK. sounds very posh but he does the same. 

Its a bit like some people say errrr or uh huh in mid sentence. 

Always thought it was a bit of a Scouse thing like?

50 minutes ago, Godolphin said:

It's spread around the world like a virus!

Another term that just about makes me vomit is being call "Dude," by Australians. Dude!?

Am I just getting old and grouchy? Am I nostalgic for the smart local slang of my youth?

Like, you bet I am dudes!

Cobber,, I hate to tell you this but "dude" is not an Australian term. Avagudweekend, matey

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

Well i liked it.

Me to. Its just a phase we are passing through till we old schoolers are all phased out. Some call it "progress" I call it goodbye to fun and good times hello AI and no job. Glad I was born early rather than late. 

17 minutes ago, newatthis said:

Cobber,, I hate to tell you this but "dude" is not an Australian term. Avagudweekend, matey

Me old china plate,

That's what I'm saying. It is not Australian but American, just like a lot of the slang that young Aussies are using these days.

I used the word "bludger" the other day and I was looked at as if I was speaking Martian or something.

American slang is great for Americans but, unfortunately, given its domination of the media, it looks like our unique slang is getting as obsolete as the Tassie Tiger. And that's dinkum mate!

i think, like, the issue is you guys are just a bunch of like crusty old codgers who cant like recall what its like to be young.

we all had vernacular we used as teens and we grew out of it. 

get over yourseld how often do you actually talk to somebody young anyways.

1 hour ago, Godolphin said:

Me old china plate,

That's what I'm saying. It is not Australian but American, just like a lot of the slang that young Aussies are using these days.

I used the word "bludger" the other day and I was looked at as if I was speaking Martian or something.

American slang is great for Americans but, unfortunately, given its domination of the media, it looks like our unique slang is getting as obsolete as the Tassie Tiger. And that's dinkum mate!

May the expression " don't come the raw prawn with me" never die. I love the confused looks I get when I use it on a non-Aussie - or even some who claim they are Australian.

Incidentally, I think "china plate" is actually Cockney rhyming slang. "Bludger" and "dinkum" are  authentic Oz.

1 hour ago, Godolphin said:

Me old china plate,

The words "dude" and "like" were used in American slang when I was a teenager in the late 50s early 60s

54 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

May the expression " don't come the raw prawn with me" never die. I love the confused looks I get when I use it on a non-Aussie - or even some who claim they are Australian.

Incidentally, I think "china plate" is actually Cockney rhyming slang. "Bludger" and "dinkum" are  authentic Oz.

Bazza,

What I love about Aussie "jack lang" (slang) is that it has borrowed from Cockney, Irish, Scottish, you name it, but remained distinctly our own.

Rubbidy dub (pub), septic tank (Yank), Charlie Wheeler (sheila), steak and kidney (Sydney) are rhyming but not Cockney.

But, this side of the black stump, only dinky dy, true blue 'Strayns know how to speak Strine and that's what makes us unique.

I admire what the Irish, Scots, Welsh and French have done in trying to preserve their languages because our language teaches us, imho, to understand and appreciate who we came from.

For some reason, one new saying that really makes me grit my teeth is "My bad" Shocking grammar, why not say "My mistake" or "My error"? I know I'm being pedantic, but I don't like to see the British English language crucified by a nationality that even struggles to pronounce "aluminium" :jap:

i think, like, the issue is you guys are just a bunch of like crusty old codgers who cant like recall what its like to be young.

we all had vernacular we used as teens and we grew out of it. 

get over yourseld how often do you actually talk to somebody young anyways.

Everyday

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

5 hours ago, Godolphin said:

Judging solely by Australian TV that I've watched, some Australians are unable to complete a sentence without inserting "mate" in it.

mate 1.jpg    mate 2.jpg

Archived