Good & bad Songkram in Bangkok

Fireyfish

Hi there ... I will be arriving in Bangkok 11 April  for one week before going to Krabi .... I'm not new to Thailand but I have never been here for Songkram ...  I hear vastly varying opinions on the experience 7 I'm sure it can be good or bad depending on where you are  ... the first 4 nights I'm near Asok and the last three near Ekamai  .... are there places to enjoy the festivities in those areas, or alternatively areas to be avoidede?

Slightly off-topic but you may like to take note:

The Festival is called "Songkran" (สงกรานต์ in Thai) not Songkram - Songkram (สงคราม in Thai) means "War" or "Battle". (Which, to be honest, is sadly what Songkran has become in recent years, at least in some parts of the Country!).

Patrick

1 hour ago, p_brownstone said:

The Festival is called "Songkran" (สงกรานต์ in Thai) not Songkram - Songkram (สงคราม in Thai) means "War" or "Battle". (Which, to be honest, is sadly what Songkran has become in recent years, at least in some parts of the Country!).

hes right

and as asok bts station is right next to terminal 21 mall and soi cowboy the op is going to be wet and smelly for three days and nights :( 

dave2

dukes , songkran water wars 2 6 mar 12 2012_03270010.jpg

terminal 21 asoke junction bangkok 18 apr 16 20160418_071605.jpg

If you are a young buck you may enjoy it.  I dislike it very much and will be heading out of country during that time.

There is no way to avoid the carnage. Anywhere you are you will get wet.   Wear a tank top, workout shorts and flip flops.  Get some good eye protection that covers most of your face.

If it's your first time rip into it mate, you will have a great time, I still love em after all these years. Just remember that you can be hit by a torrent of water at anytime, so if you must carry any electronics have them well sealed before you step out the. door.

i enjoy songkran every now and then.  good to enjoy one year and then skip a few years, usually by leaving the country.  this year i'll likely just stay in my room as much as possible.  you have to be prepared to be 100% wet at all times.  goggles or a big pair of sunglasses are a must.  i even use ear plugs to avoid having streams of water powered right into my ear (and that is 'powered' not 'poured').

where are you staying near asoke ?  some places are definitely worst than others.

The good especially in Bangkok, last for 3 days, here in Pattaya  it goes on for like two weeks which first time is tiring thereafter it just is a headache. It goes on and on what is wrong with the whole event can be view here in Pattaya area.

The leaders should designate 3 days of celebration all over Thailand the same dates and that is it, it just might save lives on the road.

I would go down to Silom Rd it's closed to cars and just lots of people walking up and down playing with water and lots of food.  You can buy protective plastic glasses a water proof storage packet that you wear around your neck and budget 500-600 baht for a good water gun. You can take the BTS there and get off at Sala Daeng but your gun has to be empty. I've gone there the last 2 years for two or three days in a row usually people play with the water from about noon to 11 pm or so. Everyone talks about drunk morons but there really aren't any on Silom ( I think a lot of negative old grumpy man comments come from the wrinkle room known as Pattaya) there are people of all ages on Silom and everyone is just having good old fashioned fun.  After a few hours of spraying/ shooting and laughing your ass off you can just go home shower and rest. It is very therapeutic and feels great. I would not wear flip flops but I use an old pair of sneakers.  Have fun and enjoy!  

2 hours ago, alex8912 said:

I would go down to Silom Rd it's closed to cars and just lots of people walking up and down playing with water and lots of food.  You can buy protective plastic glasses a water proof storage packet that you wear around your neck and budget 500-600 baht for a good water gun. You can take the BTS there and get off at Sala Daeng but your gun has to be empty. I've gone there the last 2 years for two or three days in a row usually people play with the water from about noon to 11 pm or so. Everyone talks about drunk morons but there really aren't any on Silom ( I think a lot of negative old grumpy man comments come from the wrinkle room known as Pattaya) there are people of all ages on Silom and everyone is just having good old fashioned fun.  After a few hours of spraying/ shooting and laughing your ass off you can just go home shower and rest. It is very therapeutic and feels great. I would not wear flip flops but I use an old pair of sneakers.  Have fun and enjoy!  

I agree an old pair of sneakers would be good traction/protection.

If it were a few hours of spraying/shooting water that would be ok.  But it is four full days and nights. Six in Pattaya as it goes thru the 18th.   I am just too old for it I guess but I do see old farts out there seeming to have a good time so to each their own.

I'll be in Thailand April 8-22. I want to plan a trip to Koh Lipe during that time. Does anyone know if they play water games on the islands like they do in the city during Songkran? I don't know whether to head there during Songkran or stay in Bangkok and wait until it's over. I also am staying by Asok station in Bangkok.

I went to 2 Songkran's in Silom had a whale of a time. Sure you will get wet, its a water festival.

Park up at Flann O'Brians for a beer or two if you want to get out of the rain for a while, and watch the rest of the nutters having fun.

The best part of the day is watching people who don't want to get wet having ice water poured over them. (I am talking about people who enter the party zone here).

The only thing I would advise if going to Silom is if you suffer from claustrophobia, it is madness trying to get into the area from the BTS, even worse if walking up from the park. If you do suffer your best bet is to come in from Chong Nonsi and walk around the corner back towards Sala dang BTS.

It really is great fun watching the Thai's enjoying their New Year. and some of the perving that goes on can also be funny.

I'm 55 so you don't have to be that young to enjoy it.

Take a look at this from 2 years ago and tell me why you wouldn't want to be there.

Sorry added a new video, didn't realize how camp the first one is. :)

Edited by berybert