Ruined expensive speakers

impartialobserver

I went to America for a couple weeks and bought the Bose Soundtouch 30 speaker, which was $500, as well as some other electronics. I brought them all back to Thailand, and everything worked fine except when I plugged in the Bose speaker I heard two VERY loud "pop" sounds and now the thing is totally dead--won't even turn on.

What should I do? I'm concerned about taking them to Bose since I've gone from one country to next, they might tell me it's my own fault. Alternatively I've thought about taking them to get repaired, but I have no idea where to go or even if they can be repaired since I have no clue what the damage was (I smelled and saw no smoked and can't see any scorch marks outside the device).

Any thoughts/advice?

1 hour ago, metisdead said:

I thought the switch from power sources would be automatic as I found this in the online owners manual:

ScreenHunter_136 Mar. 18 08.04.jpg

It looks like that is the power rating and input voltage for different countries of purchase and if this is the case it WILL NOT switch automatically. We brought a Bose Bluetooth speaker over with us but the input voltage was rated for 110-240 VAC, 50/60 Hz so it will work in every country (and does work in Thailand and the USA).

Strange that Bose should be making portable or semi-portable electronics that doesnt work worldwide. My very similar Sonos speakers certainly function anywhere from 100-240V, as do my laptop, wireless headphones, phone chargers etc etc

Anyway, it may be that just the fuse or some protective circuitry has blown rather than the whole amplifier section. I would be inclined to ask Bose directly before doing anything else. I'm sure they can answer the question without even seeing the damage.

On March 18, 2017 at 9:58 AM, KittenKong said:

Strange that Bose should be making portable or semi-portable electronics that doesnt work worldwide. My very similar Sonos speakers certainly function anywhere from 100-240V, as do my laptop, wireless headphones, phone chargers etc etc

Anyway, it may be that just the fuse or some protective circuitry has blown rather than the whole amplifier section. I would be inclined to ask Bose directly before doing anything else. I'm sure they can answer the question without even seeing the damage.

Fully agree. I didn't even think to look because I assumed, as a somewhat portable device (the smaller ones are extremely portable), this would be designed to take 110-240v. I personally have never liked Bose products but this speaker sounded the best as an all-in-one, so I went with it instead of the Sonos. Obviously I regret that decision--and my own carelessness.

As others have said, it's probably just the power circuitry that is damaged... the rest is likely OK.

There is a Bose showroom on Level 4 at Central Embassy at the corner of Ploenchit Road/Wireless Road and Sukhumvit Road.

Their phone number is +66 2160 5651-4.

Alternatively, service enquiries from the Bose website are as follows:

Mr. Phaisal Asavasopon
The Asavasopon Company, Ltd.
50-52 Siphya Road
Mahaprudtharam, Bangkok 10500
Tel-1: (66)22346467
Tel-2: (66)22668136
Fax: (66)22375603
Email: [email protected]