Is Thai Immigration reading one's phone/computer documents?

I think whatever country in the world you go to then they have the ability to check your electrical items. (Whether you like it or not)

But unless they have a reason to check them to me you have nothing to worry about.

IMHO if someone asked to check my laptop or phone when I was traveling then I would let them. 

The only reason I would not let them is if I had something to hide.

if you have nothing to hide then not much of a reason for this post.

4 minutes ago, Doiger said:

I think whatever country in the world you go to then they have the ability to check your electrical items. (Whether you like it or not)

But unless they have a reason to check them to me you have nothing to worry about.

IMHO if someone asked to check my laptop or phone when I was traveling then I would let them. 

With all respect the OP isn't stupid nor the other posters, point here is to let people know to be smart because once you get caught by a totalirian regime your life could change for ever.

2 minutes ago, redwinecheese said:

With all respect the OP isn't stupid nor the other posters, point here is to let people know to be smart because once you get caught by a totalirian regime your life could change for ever.

You can only get caught if you have something to hide

3 hours ago, blorg said:

I think this is getting very semantic, they have the "right" in the sense the sovereign country has the right to do this and delegates that authority to the border agents.

YOU personally on the other hand do not have any of your American constitutional "rights" once you step outside America and so I see complaining about other countries having the right to search you as misguided. They do have that right, it's their country. You don't have any rights to object to it. Complaining about it is likely to result in an adverse outcome for you.

I didn't really notice, until now, that it was you/your post which characterized law enforcement having "rights" instead of authority.  It's easy to dismiss my point as semantics because you were wrong.  If it's too much for you, simply stop responding.

I know quite a bit about the fundamentals of law enforcement at various levels of government from my previous life/career, and where I stand overseas.  Thanks for the lecture though.  Take care. 

Edited by 55Jay

So @55Jay you are saying sovereign states do not have rights to control their borders?

But you, as an American, have god-given constitutional rights that apply everywhere in the world and trump the rights of sovereign states?

Sorry to break it to you but you might find out the hard way that an immigration officer actually has a lot more rights than you do in a country other than your own.

7 minutes ago, blorg said:

So @55Jay you are saying sovereign states do not have rights to control their borders?

But you, as an American, have god-given constitutional rights that apply everywhere in the world and trump the rights of sovereign states?

Sorry to break it to you but you might find out the hard way that an immigration officer actually has a lot more rights than you do in a country other than your own.

Nope, didn't say that.  I really don't need any help for you on this matter, not sure why you are trying to have an argument with me, based on your manufactured assumptions.

PS: Rights aren't "god given" either. :laugh:

Edited by 55Jay

35 minutes ago, Doiger said:

So, I presume you don't believe in freedom of speech  or  privacy concern after 911.  exactly because of people like you we have the patriot act!

Edited by redwinecheese

Just now, redwinecheese said:

So, I presume you don't believe in freedom of speech after 911.  exactly because of people like you were have the patriot act!

I do regret what happened on 911.

And I definitely believe in freedom of speech, but i also know that I am required to live within the laws of the country that I live in.

unfortunately I am not American so the patriot act does not affect me but I still stick by my words.

if you have nothing to hide then so be it!!!!

1 hour ago, Doiger said:

I do regret what happened on 911.

And I definitely believe in freedom of speech, but i also know that I am required to live within the laws of the country that I live in.

unfortunately I am not American so the patriot act does not affect me but I still stick by my words.

if you have nothing to hide then so be it!!!!

For your information patriot act effects everyone not just Americans, but if I may ask do you really care if your phone calls and your communications in general including Internet banking being monitored or you just don't care as long as you said you have nothing to hide?

Edited by redwinecheese

34 minutes ago, redwinecheese said:

For your information patriot act effects everyone not just Americans, but if I may ask do you really care if your phone calls and your communications in general including Internet banking being monitored or you just don't care as long as you said you have nothing to hide?

The chances of your internet banking being looked at are very slim, especially coming into to Thailand as the OP has asked about,same as your e mails, and unless you get asked for specific passwords and give them, then you are not going to know about who is looking anyway.

8 minutes ago, Doiger said:

The chances of your internet banking being looked at are very slim, especially coming into to Thailand as the OP has asked about,same as your e mails, and unless you get asked for specific passwords and give them, then you are not going to know about who is looking anyway.

So it's okay for non 3rd world countries to know about your Internet banking if I understand you like NSA? Because in your previous posts you insisted if you have nothing to hide So be it.

Edited by redwinecheese

3 minutes ago, redwinecheese said:

So it's okay for non 3rd world countries to know about your Internet banking if I understand you like NSA?

If they look and check without us knowing there is nothing we can do about it.

as I said before, I'm not American so what the NSA does I cannot change.

ive nothing to hide, you obviously do before you are taking this so far.

1 minute ago, Doiger said:

If they look and check without us knowing there is nothing we can do about it.

as I said before, I'm not American so what the NSA does I cannot change.

ive nothing to hide, you obviously do before you are taking this so far.

Since you can't stop the urge to reply as fast as you can I really don't find it healthy to keep arguing but I will tell you something you don't know, I am not American and I have seen my bank accounts numbers published on my Google profile so I know those bastards are as nasty as wild animals.  

Yes, but of course. Actually they really know your shoe size before you enter the country. What do you think?

Have been living in Thailand long time and I am aware of that things doesn´t come to mind so quick in the area of intelligence, but this one hit a new bottom low.

7 hours ago, richusa said:

Australia and the US are mostly looking into your personal stuff.

Especially in the US, if you have pirated software..5k fine for each program.

That's why when I go to the US I delete all that stuff......

Are you aware that simply deleting all that stuff doesn't really delete it?

4 hours ago, Doiger said:

Doiger - "The only reason I would not let them is if I had something to hide.

if you have nothing to hide then not much of a reason for this post."

" Saying that you don’t care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don’t care about freedom of speech because you have nothing to say.

It’s a deeply anti social principle because rights are not just individual, they’re collective, and what may not have value to you today may have value to an entire population, an entire people, an entire way of life tomorrow. And if you don’t stand up for it, then who will? "

- Edward Snowden

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, redwinecheese said:

Point is that if they look at your social media accounts and find offensive posts as they interpret them against their government whether in Thailand or most 3rd world countries,I think you hear from them " you have big problem mister".  I know people been locked in prison for years because of of posts, tweets and so on.
p.s I never use the term developed countries because a totalitarian regime will never develop.

Really? How many people exactly do you know that have been in prison for years for their tweets? 

Doiger  - I'm glad that you have nothing to hide.

Please post your handles to all of your social media accounts along with the passwords.

Same for your email(s).

If you have nothing to hide and have done nothing wrong surely you will have no problem with this.

(PM them to me if you prefer, although I don't see why you'd care as you have nothing to hide).

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 1

I see that EFF did an update this month for the following guide:

"Digital Privacy at the U.S. Border:

Protecting the Data On Your Devices and In the Cloud"

https://www.eff.org/wp/digital-privacy-us-border-2017

"Th
e  U.S.  government  reported  a  
fi
ve-fold  increase  in  the  number  of  electronic  media
searches at the border in a single year, from 4,764 in 2015 to 23,877 in 2016.
 Every
one  of  those  searches  was  a  potential  privacy  violation. 

Our  lives  are  minutely
documented on the phones and laptops we carry, and in the cloud. Our devices carry
records   of   private   conversations,   family   photos,   medical   documents,   banking
information,  information  about  what  websites  we  visit,  and  much  more. 

Moreover,
people in many professions, such as lawyers and journalists, have a heightened need to
keep  their  electronic  information  confidential.  How  can  travelers  keep  their  digital data safe?"

Edited by JimmyJ

I have no social media accounts. Employers are starting to ask for Facebook acounts and others so why wouldn't a government everyone posts everything. Sooner or later it will happen. Question 15 list social media accounts and user names.

8 hours ago, Doiger said:

Ah yes.  The old privacy-is-an-anachronism line.   Amazing.   Everyone's business is everyone else's business, eh?   You get an A for indoctrination. 

I keep wondering how ostrich DNA managed to find its way into some segments of the human population.

• Like 1