How Busy is Pattaya Right Now?

Viggo McQuaid

26 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

I see people busy trying to cross the beach 5 lane highway (road)when will this be a 30 km road with mandatory zebra stops and speed bumps  so pedestrians can cross peacefully?

When someone is killed trying to cross the road the authorities may act. Preventative measures are costly.

There are less coaches on Beach Road now they have to go Bali Hai ferry terminal for trips to Koh Larn.

Switching the pedestrian crossings back on would be a start but apparently they caused traffic jams. That begs the question as to why they were ever put up in the first place.

With the crack down on some of the nude and sex shows in the last several months a lot of the Bkk farangs are going elsewhere for their wekends.Now the government thinks that Pattaya can exists as a "family" resort with it's fowling smelling beach,rip off rental shops,uncontrollable street gangs,and open daylight thefts.Good luck on that.

3 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

I see people busy trying to cross the beach 5 lane highway (road)when will this be a 30 km road with mandatory zebra stops and speed bumps  so pedestrians can cross peacefully?

I hope it never has speed bumps, think of the emergency vehicles. I don't have to spell it out, do I?

4 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Never. And?

2 hours ago, sanukjim said:

With the crack down on some of the nude and sex shows in the last several months a lot of the Bkk farangs are going elsewhere for their wekends.

No. Most of those stupid BKK farangs discovered there was in fact no crackdown.

Now the government thinks that Pattaya can exists as a "family" resort with it's fowling smelling beach,rip off rental shops,uncontrollable street gangs,and open daylight thefts.Good luck on that.

Pattaya's been doing OK just being Pattaya. That looks to continue.

Edited by JSixpack

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I hope it never has speed bumps, think of the emergency vehicles. I don't have to spell it out, do I?

hmmm so u want highest speed possible no zebras no speed bumps no annoying pedestrians so this will benefit the emergency vehicles??yes with ur great ideas and visions pattaya need much more ambulances to scrap fllattened pedestrians off from the roads

5 hours ago, champers said:

When someone is killed trying to cross the road the authorities may act. Preventative measures are costly.

There are less coaches on Beach Road now they have to go Bali Hai ferry terminal for trips to Koh Larn.

Switching the pedestrian crossings back on would be a start but apparently they caused traffic jams. That begs the question as to why they were ever put up in the first place.

Okay lets wait for some deadly accidents..sorry beach highway road need be banned for busses

23 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

hmmm so u want highest speed possible no zebras no speed bumps no annoying pedestrians so this will benefit the emergency vehicles??yes with ur great ideas and visions pattaya need much more ambulances to scrap fllattened pedestrians off from the roads

Wrong, I did not say anything about no zebras, but there should be pedestrian lights that work, as for speed bumps, I bet you would soon change your tune if ie, you had a sick member of your family in an ambulance in a life or death situation and was prevented by the speed bumps to get to the hospital to save their life, there are plenty of other examples. Genuine emergency vehicles must always get priority at all times. there are lots of emergency situations involving the police, fire brigade and ambulances.

It is bad enough having speed bumps in side streets, but along main roads like Beach Road?? No way.

11 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Wrong, I did not say anything about no zebras, but there should be pedestrian lights that work, as for speed bumps, I bet you would soon change your tune if ie, you had a sick member of your family in an ambulance in a life or death situation and was prevented by the speed bumps to get to the hospital to save their life, there are plenty of other examples. Genuine emergency vehicles must always get priority at all times. there are lots of emergency situations involving the police, fire brigade and ambulances.

It is bad enough having speed bumps in side streets, but along main roads like Beach Road?? No way.

Take off 2 lanes then widen pavements for pedestrians  on both sides,make it a 30-40 km zone.i was referring about speed bumps as in jomtien they smooth and gently u might want to check it out.

7 hours ago, HarrySeaman said:

High season was like the low season 15 years ago.

A bit of dramatic license. During the low season that long ago this place was a ghost town. Almost all the boys and girls were back home in the north. Jomtien Beach was nearly deserted.

TukCom was a derelict, empty building .No malls aside from Royal Garden and Big C Pattaya Nuua. The old Hollywood on Pattaya Tai was pretty much it for major attraction at night aside from the gogo bars and some empty hole-in-the-wall Karaoke joints.

The immigrations office was a tiny place hidden off Soi 5 near Pattaya beach and if you walked in, you were probably the only one there.

You could walk across any of the major streets in town without pausing for traffic.

8 hours ago, HarrySeaman said:

Guess what it is like now that high season has finished.

Of course Walking Street is still busy with all the tour groups traipsing through.

Yes left there myself last week and it was sparse numbers outside Walking Street (only went there twice with the girlfriend to play pool).

LK Metro seemed OK but the bars weren't packed...honestly I prefer it that way

15 hours ago, HarrySeaman said:

Guess what it is like now that high season has finished.

Of course Walking Street is still busy with all the tour groups traipsing through.

Well they claim 'high season' continues until after Songkran. Perhaps part of the problem, if you fabricate a longer high season to keep the hotel prices up. Correct in that it appears busy in South Pattaya, loads of coaches clogging up traffic and taking all available parking. But quiet in the Jomtiem area,  It isn't a cheap destination anymore, but sadly still looks it.

The Beach Rd looks like a construction site with drain digging going on, and the approach roads like rubbish dumps.

Edited by jacko45k

17 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

The pedestrian lights are still there. Pity they don't work.

All the extra lane did was allow cars to go faster and make it even unsafer to cross. So much for "progress".

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Well they claim 'high season' continues until after Songkran. Perhaps part of the problem, if you fabricate a longer high season to keep the hotel prices up. Correct in that it appears busy in South Pattaya, loads of coaches clogging up traffic and taking all available parking. But quiet in the Jomtiem area,  It isn't a cheap destination anymore, but sadly still looks it.

The Beach Rd looks like a construction site with drain digging going on, and the approach roads like rubbish dumps.

That's right. High season always went on till Songkran. At least it did when lots of people went to Pattaya. Perhaps the bad news has finally pursuaded people to go eleswhere at last. Bet it hasn't reduced the prices though.

9 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

A bit of dramatic license. During the low season that long ago this place was a ghost town. Almost all the boys and girls were back home in the north. Jomtien Beach was nearly deserted.

TukCom was a derelict, empty building .No malls aside from Royal Garden and Big C Pattaya Nuua. The old Hollywood on Pattaya Tai was pretty much it for major attraction at night aside from the gogo bars and some empty hole-in-the-wall Karaoke joints.

The immigrations office was a tiny place hidden off Soi 5 near Pattaya beach and if you walked in, you were probably the only one there.

You could walk across any of the major streets in town without pausing for traffic.

Maybe so, but it was a more enjoyable place back then and even more so in the 90's.

16 hours ago, champers said:

I was there when they installed the traffic lights for pedestrians. It's BS that they caused traffic jams. At best the traffic stopped briefly  but always started again before the green went on. Whatever the real reason for stopping them was, it wasn't jams.

The real reason they turned them off was that most vehicles ignored them and drove straight through on red, which made it even more dangerous for pedestrians trying to cross the road and thinking they could walk safely on green, but of course they won't admit to that.

They even tried putting marshals with red flags on some of the crossings, but it had virtually no effect, so they gave up and switched the lights off.

Law enforcement on the roads in Thailand = zero!

21 hours ago, billrose said:

They even tried putting marshals with red flags

The police tried too for a few days, it had minimal impact and as as you say they gave up and just switched them off    just like zebra crossings no one stops making it extremely dangerous for unsuspecting pedestrians...

10 minutes ago, johng said:

The police tried too for a few days, it had minimal impact and as as you say they gave up and just switched them off    just like zebra crossings no one stops making it extremely dangerous for unsuspecting pedestrians...

Stop signs before a zebra might help,smooth speed bumps,max speed signs.then pedestrians have somewhat of a chance to cross that beach road 5 lanes highway.