Sinn Féin's Martin McGuinness dies aged 66

webfact

12 hours ago, Macthehat said:

You obviously didnt see My remark was tongue in cheek to the OP .  At what stage did I say  "ok by me " ? You said "OK by you, well that is nice to know" 

Why would that be nice to know? 

It is not ok by me as you seem think .I don't make excuses for any of it.  

Seems you've went into attack mode before you've fully read and understood . 

Aha, "attack mode' a very telling choice of words, as with your "Ok McGuinness was partial to some DIY". So its hardly surprising that I would interpret your "OK" as acquiescence  to torture and murder since you have apparently consistently supported McGuinness with your posts. Even though you think have not made excuses for the excesses of the IRA, you do "appear" to be a supporter or ft, because you constantly blame the UK Gov instead of the IRA;' which precisely is "making excuses for their violence to me".

Don't bite your tongue off trying to get it out of your cheek whilst you figure out my "nice to know" sarcasm - if you don't want to be misinterpreted, take more care with your choice of words.

• Like 1

MiKT I would like to know how much you really know about Ireland and as you call it the UK government.

I call it the British government as the troops that were sent to N Ireland were called British . As reported

by the press they were requested by the Catholic people who were under threat by the Unionist controlled

Gov. The British Gov. were the biggest recruitment agency for the IRA, for their handling of the then situation.

Go back in History and read up on how many countries they Raped and Pillaged and left the people fighting

on each other. That is why Martin and others  got involved, 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, oldgent said:

MiKT I would like to know how much you really know about Ireland and as you call it the UK government.

I call it the British government as the troops that were sent to N Ireland were called British . As reported

by the press they were requested by the Catholic people who were under threat by the Unionist controlled

Gov. The British Gov. were the biggest recruitment agency for the IRA, for their handling of the then situation.

Go back in History and read up on how many countries they Raped and Pillaged and left the people fighting

on each other. That is why Martin and others  got involved, 

The King Edwards on your shoulder is somewhat ironic but I'm not sure the board needs lessons in point scoring, especially re events preceding our lives or influence.

I have never felt the need to apologise for my forbears but might be persuaded to have a pop at Rome, Denmark, Normandy if you're looking for a good place to start.

What's on the front of your passport?

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, evadgib said:

The King Edwards on your shoulder is somewhat ironic but I'm not sure the board needs lessons in point scoring, especially re events preceding our lives or influence.

I have never felt the need to apologise for my forbears but might be persuaded to have a pop at Rome, Denmark, Normandy if you're looking for a good place to start.

What's on the front of your passport?

don,t get the potatoes on the shoulder bit.... and certainly not telling what,s on my passport... but please enlighten me on 

the 3 places you mentioned

2 hours ago, MiKT said:

Aha, "attack mode' a very telling choice of words, as with your "Ok McGuinness was partial to some DIY". So its hardly surprising that I would interpret your "OK" as acquiescence  to torture and murder since you have apparently consistently supported McGuinness with your posts. Even though you think have not made excuses for the excesses of the IRA, you do "appear" to be a supporter or ft, because you constantly blame the UK Gov instead of the IRA;' which precisely is "making excuses for their violence to me".

Don't bite your tongue off trying to get it out of your cheek whilst you figure out my "nice to know" sarcasm - if you don't want to be misinterpreted, take more care with your choice of 

kinda strange you seem to think I'm a supporter for the IRA ...if I had the same mindset as yourself I could say you are a staunch blind  loyalist bigot who thinks that the IRA is to blame for all . ...but thankfully I know better than to insinuate that . You read into my comments wrong now get over it and do some research on the history  .... .........u say ..

"but those in the South got over it as they got over the Danes and Vikings, etc and the Brits got over them.

The difference is the danes and the Vikings were drove out of ireland and that was 1890 AD . ....... not really a good comparison don't u think?

Edited by Macthehat
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Macthehat said:

kinda strange you seem to think I'm a supporter for the IRA ...if I had the same mindset as yourself I could say you are a staunch blind  loyalist bigot who thinks the of the IRA is to blame for all . ...but thankfully I know better than to insinuate that . You read into my comments wrong now get over it and do some research on the history of ireland sir . .... u say ..

"but those in the South got over it as they got over the Danes and Vikings, etc and the Brits got over them.

The difference is the danes and the Vikings were drove out or ireland and that was 1890 AD . ....... not really a good comparison don't u think? 

History lessons is it?  In1890 AD Ireland got rid of the Vikings and Danes, maybe that explains all your posts, only @900 years later than the rest of us! 555. Must have been a great relief to Vicky allowing more Irish regiments to serve in the Boer war for instance. Those damned Danes and Vikings would never have allowed it.

My history lessons tells me that in1014AD  the Battle of Clontarf, that was more or less the end of the Viking invasions of Ireland and they "peacefully integrated into the country" and became "Irish People", which is the point I was making about the Danes and Normans, all eventually integrated and together with millions of Irish, Scots, Welsh and many others formed the "British" people (not forgetting the Romans).

I don't think I read any of your comments wrong, you have consistently supported the IRA, but nothing I have said could possibly be construed to mean that I supported the Unionists bombing or torturing any more than I support any kind of terrorist; so I have nothing to get over; and on the history of the more recent "troubles", sufficient to say that in 1961 I was chased into the Bogside by a gang of Derry boys who wanted to kill me - an Englishman who was walking with an Irish Catholic girl. Nothing more to say about the history of Ireland, except to say again, "don't make unsubstantiated judgments on things you have no idea about; and if you don't like people misinterpreting you, be more careful what you write".

Only one more thing. I don't believe in independence for N. Ireland, Scotland or Wales, its simply a way for politicians to make money and spend billions on themselves with unnecessary parliaments instead of on the welfare of the people. I don't think much of Brexit either, because it should have been possible to stay in the EU and resolve any immigration problems, after all millions of Irish were immigrants to England and most became fully integrated.

The IRA and if you like the UDF were never "freedom fighters" just self-serving gangsters whose actions actually limited peoples freedoms.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MiKT said:

History lessons is it?  In1890 AD Ireland got rid of the Vikings and Danes, maybe that explains all your posts, only @900 years later than the rest of us! 555. Must have been a great relief to Vicky allowing more Irish regiments to serve in the Boer war for instance. Those damned Danes and Vikings would never have allowed it.

My history lessons tells me that in1014AD  the Battle of Clontarf, that was more or less the end of the Viking invasions of Ireland and they "peacefully integrated into the country" and became "Irish People", which is the point I was making about the Danes and Normans, all eventually integrated and together with millions of Irish, Scots, Welsh and many others formed the "British" people (not forgetting the Romans).

I don't think I read any of your comments wrong, you have consistently supported the IRA, but nothing I have said could possibly be construed to mean that I supported the Unionists bombing or torturing any more than I support any kind of terrorist; so I have nothing to get over; and on the history of the more recent "troubles", sufficient to say that in 1961 I was chased into the Bogside by a gang of Derry boys who wanted to kill me - an Englishman who was walking with an Irish Catholic girl. Nothing more to say about the history of Ireland, except to say again, "don't make unsubstantiated judgments on things you have no idea about; and if you don't like people misinterpreting you, be more careful what you write".

Only one more thing. I don't believe in independence for N. Ireland, Scotland or Wales, its simply a way for politicians to make money and spend billions on themselves with unnecessary parliaments instead of on the welfare of the people. I don't think much of Brexit either, because it should have been possible to stay in the EU and resolve any immigration problems, after all millions of Irish were immigrants to England and most became fully integrated.

The IRA and if you like the UDF were never "freedom fighters" just self-serving gangsters whose actions actually limited peoples freedoms.

very good google is great. your wrong about the IRA being Gangsters there were a certain criminal element who used the IRA name

to extort money from business people as were the same in the Loyalist factions, then the Drugs were an easy way to make money.

and you should understand at the height of the Troubles the English got the blaim and were,nt welcome. also depending on the 

term what foot you kicked with one new your Religion just by saying Derry or Londonderry.

45 minutes ago, MiKT said:

don't make unsubstantiated judgments on things you have no idea about; 

Practice what u preach sir , I think it's u with the king Edward on your shoulder because of your run in to the Bogside 555 have a nice day :)

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎30‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 8:23 PM, Macthehat said:

Practice what u preach sir , I think it's u with the king Edward on your shoulder because of your run in to the Bogside 555 have a nice day :)

Oh Historian, you seem to be as confused about whos is who and what and where as you are about the Vikings.

20 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Unfortunately, BBC iPlayer is not available outside the UK; but it's now been posted on YouTube.

A similar programme from BBC Northern Ireland last year.

Please can you give the URL or reference to pick this up on Utub

2 hours ago, MiKT said:

Please can you give the URL or reference to pick this up on Utub

If you play an embedded YouTube video and keep your mouse over the video a YouTube icon will appear in the bottom right; click on that to be taken to the actual YouTube page where the video was posted.

The url for the first video is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rihJviC9oA0

For the second it's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apBLMtOtI9Q

On 14/04/2017 at 7:43 AM, MiKT said:

Oh Historian, you seem to be as confused about whos is who and what and where as you are about the Vikings.

I dont claim to be a historian or a google quickdraw like yourself and   I'm quite aware as to who made the original King Edwards remarks as do you. 

The unveiling of a gravestone for Martin McGuinness, which refers to him as an IRA volunteer, "tells the true story", a DUP MP has said.

Mr McGuinness died last month at the age of 66.

His headstone was unveiled as part of an Easter Rising commemoration in Derry's City Cemetery on Sunday.

Gregory Campbell said the inscription "ought to serve as a reality check" for those "caught up in the hyperbole" at the time of Mr McGuinness' death.

"The news that there has been the unveiling of a headstone at the grave of Martin McGuinness with two references to his IRA membership will come as no surprise to most people," he said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-39621998

Edited by evadgib

On ‎16‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 8:52 AM, Macthehat said:

I dont claim to be a historian or a google quickdraw like yourself and   I'm quite aware as to who made the original King Edwards remarks as do you. 

Not so much a historian as somebody who has lived through the more recent periods in question.

But well done, your absolutely correct, I do know who made those remarks!

Which is why I can't understand why you would try to apply them to me?

17 hours ago, oldgent said:

G Campbell never liked Martin because Campbell is a Bigot . The Ulster Unionist Doug Beattie

sumed it up perfectlay .

And what was Mcguiness, a murdering Bigot. It's a pity that on his headstone,the names of all those murdered,with his personal involvement, are not inscribed.

38 minutes ago, nontabury said:

And what was Mcguiness, a murdering Bigot. It's a pity that on his headstone,the names of all those murdered,with his personal involvement, are not inscribed.

what do you know about him only what you read in newspaper rags. you got the bigot bit so wrong that he certainly

was not. he was a freedom fighter who became a peace maker. read the article from the post in 138 and read what Doug Beattie says

• Like 1

12 hours ago, oldgent said:

was not. he was a freedom fighter who became a peace maker. read the article from the post in 138 and read what Doug Beattie says

Peace maker. What about the murders he personally committed and those he organised. On the 8th of November 1987 the IRA,of which Mcguiness was a leader,murdered many innocent people who were at a rememberence event in Enniskillan to those who lost their lives fighting the Nazi Facist during the 2nd W.W. These included tens of thousand of brave  southern Irish.

And let's not forget,that on the death of Adolf Hitler,the president of the Irish republic went to the German Embassy and signed their book of condolences,again while his own countrymen were lying dead fighting the Nazis. That's what bigots do.

Edited by nontabury
  • Like 1

I was going to post something that would have been seen as nasty and insulting about Being capable of putting aside bitterness, and hate. But i have decided to keep my tongue between my teeth, as i think it would have led to me being suspended.But i have to say,  that to do what is asked, is not easy for some .Its a strong man that can forgive the murder of his innocent wife and children, by hooded cowards. And all in the name of peace.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, thaihome said:

McGuinness and the other members of the IRA have their own tales of atrocities against the Irish people going back some 1,000 years. The difference between them and you appears to be they were able to set aside their bitterness and hate and work towards a peaceful solution, something you do not appear to be capable of.

TH  

Does anybody remember the bomb that exploded in the 'Missile' pub in the grounds of the Woolwich army Barracks.My sisters mate was in that pub that night, and she is now scarred for life, from the glass from the blast of the windows.a beautiful girl. Do you think that its easy for her parents to put bitterness and hate aside ?

5 hours ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Does anybody remember the bomb that exploded in the 'Missile' pub in the grounds of the Woolwich army Barracks.My sisters mate was in that pub that night, and she is now scarred for life, from the glass from the blast of the windows.a beautiful girl. Do you think that its easy for her parents to put bitterness and hate aside ?

I witnessed one of the car-bombs used by the UVF in Dublin & Monaghan that killed 33 people in 1974, all random civilians. I haven't asked any of the relatives whether they put aside their bitterness & hate or even if they had any.

The point is that both sides suffered atrocities but some on this forum would have viewers believe that it was all one-sided. It seems that there is more bigotry here on this forum than in the improved by peacemaking N. Ireland.

Edited by khunken
Correct spelling
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

I was going to post something that would have been seen as nasty and insulting about Being capable of putting aside bitterness, and hate. But i have decided to keep my tongue between my teeth, as i think it would have led to me being suspended.But i have to say,  that to do what is asked, is not easy for some .Its a strong man that can forgive the murder of his innocent wife and children, by hooded cowards. And all in the name of peace.

That's how I feel about the RUC, too.

2 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

That's how I feel about the RUC, too.

Ouch ! I think you will lose more friends than you gain with that remark and I really really don't like it. Now had you said the UDF then fair enough, but.....................you didn't.