Crazy charges by Fedex

pomozki

I've had 2 boxes sent over by courier from New Zealand. They are full of old stuff of sentimental value only (clothes, scrapbooks of old tickets, photo albums). 

Fedex received them at Swampy and are demanding 9000 baht . I said there shouldn't be any duty on these - it's old worthless stuff. They said there is no import duty, only "customs duty".

I said I won't accept this. Customs should be based on value and they have no value.

They've now agreed verbally within a few minutes to lower the duty from 9000 to 5000. My Thai friend who's helping me says this is great news, as if I should be happy!.

I'm not. I'm ropable over these Thai crooks. Does anyone know if I can appeal against these charges?

Sorry, don't know which forum I shoujd be posting this

You have the option of clearing it through customs yourselves, you do not have to let Fedex do it. Get the reference number, clear information on exactly where it is being held (may or may not be out at the airport) and then tell Fedex you will clear it yourself.

It will take you the better part of a day but chances are good customs will let you have it without any duty,

Never, ever use a courier for shipments to Thailand if you can avoid it.

Whatever you decide do not delay much as after a certain number of days there is a warehousing fee.

thanks Sheryl. I'm in Pattaya right now - I suppose I'd have to go to Swampy and sort it out from there, right?

I ask because the original price from NZ included door to door service - I presume that means Fedex are already being paid to deliver these 2 heavy boxes to me and I don't want to lose mi right to the full service that I've already paid $850 for

Edited by pomozki