Viral video: Thai maths teacher just wants to make her lessons fun!

webfact

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, lungnorm said:

Misery guts

Not at all. She is their to facilitate learning. She is more like an entertainer than an educator. That is all I am saying. If it was a get up and go and the pupils did the same then OK. For mathematics, it is ineffective.

7 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Well it all may look good for the cameras but for me it is all about her and not the pupils. Which is not what it is about.

Yeah- how dare she do something different to stimulate the interest of her students. Absolutely diabolical!

6 hours ago, fruitman said:

All Thai can say numbers but when it comes to adding up most need a calculator...

i think that is an age thing, i can add figures up in my head quite easily as when i was at school we had classes in what was called mental arithmetic, this was long before the invention of the pocket calculator, but both my nephew and great nephew use a calculator for quite simple sums even though both have been to university in the UK.

And i can remember when pocket calculators first came out a friend checking the answer  a calculator had given because he did not believe the calculator could give a correct answer so quickly but now it would be the calculator that would be believed and the mental arithmetic answer that would be be queried

38 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Not at all. She is their to facilitate learning. She is more like an entertainer than an educator. That is all I am saying. If it was a get up and go and the pupils did the same then OK. For mathematics, it is ineffective.

I don't know about you but we learned to sing the times tables. I can still quote any quick as a flash and that's how I taught my kids too. I don't know where you get the ineffective from? 

4 hours ago, daveAustin said:

I know people will harp on about education, impropriety or whatever, but this uniqueness is why I love Thailand. Won't see it anywhere else. Oh, and yes, she is gorgeous! :wink:

http://metro.co.uk/2015/11/08/brilliant-teacher-dances-to-get-his-class-to-learn-sign-language-5487939/

NOTE 2015, maybe MS  Thailand copied it

Edited by kannot

23 minutes ago, lungnorm said:

I don't know about you but we learned to sing the times tables. I can still quote any quick as a flash and that's how I taught my kids too. I don't know where you get the ineffective from? 

From the clip which isn't very long, the pupil interaction is minimal. Teaching is about learning and checking of learning and understanding. This is not evident. Yes it is fun, Yes, she is a 'hotty' but as an effective education delivery from this small clip, it dos not show it. Quoting your times tables a one method of learning, I agree. If the kids in the video were mimicking or copying her, then I would say the lesson demonstrated some learning. It did not.

7 hours ago, Don Mega said:

and even then they will punch in the numbers a few times to be sure the calculator is correct.

Yes, but Engineers also never believe the first results on there calculators and double check !?

1 hour ago, off road pat said:

Yes, but Engineers also never believe the first results on there calculators and double check !?

engineers  make a mistake the building  falls  down, Thai shop worker makes a mistake and.........

8 hours ago, AlQaholic said:

No need to memorize stupid time tables, it would be better if the students where taught to understand the tables instead. For example why is 6+6 not 66?

And some people look really good in uniform........

If that's the case then you really don't understand the table at all. Take a closer look; here's a hint: It introduces children to charts and the answer to your example is there also and how to make the addition chart.

10 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Well it all may look good for the cameras but for me it is all about her and not the pupils. Which is not what it is about.

What makes you say it is all about her?  The pupils certainly seem to be engaging with her lesson, which is what it is all about.

3 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

From the clip which isn't very long, the pupil interaction is minimal. Teaching is about learning and checking of learning and understanding. This is not evident. Yes it is fun, Yes, she is a 'hotty' but as an effective education delivery from this small clip, it dos not show it. Quoting your times tables a one method of learning, I agree. If the kids in the video were mimicking or copying her, then I would say the lesson demonstrated some learning. It did not.

I agree.  A teacher should never work harder than their students.

Thailand needs to move from a teacher-centered approach to a student-centered approach.  However, Thai culture doesn't seem to permit it.

11 hours ago, Sphere said:

Does she give private lessons? I need to brush up on my calculus. :passifier:

Lap Dance calculations...;)

1 hour ago, rijb said:

I agree.  A teacher should never work harder than their students.

A reckless assertion to offer here on a forum where there just may be some half-trained and impressionable teachers viewing who are, let's say, not of the same standard we'd find back home.

A teacher should work harder than the students outside the classroom in terms of lesson and materials preparation.

In the classroom, a teacher should not appear to be working harder than their students. Even when students are engaged, a teacher should be monitoring. Or swiping along on Tinder, either way's fine.

Edited by seminomadic

11 minutes ago, seminomadic said:

A reckless assertion to offer here on a forum where there just may be some half-trained and impressionable teachers viewing who are, let's say, not of the same standard we'd find back home.

A teacher should work harder than the students outside the classroom in terms of lesson and materials preparation.

In the classroom, a teacher should not appear to be working harder than their students. Even when students are engaged, a teacher should be monitoring. Or swiping along on Tinder, either way's fine.

Maybe you should educate yourself, first.

http://www.ascd.org/Publications/Books/Overview/Never-Work-Harder-Than-Your-Students-and-Other-Principles-of-Great-Teaching.aspx

On 3/23/2017 at 8:10 AM, PremiumLane said:

At your age shouldn't you know how to tell the difference between what clearly is prathom ages students and older ones?

Sarcasm is one of the defining traits of teenage girls and pampered boys...and occupies too much of this forum...

16 hours ago, TKDfella said:

If that's the case then you really don't understand the table at all. Take a closer look; here's a hint: It introduces children to charts and the answer to your example is there also and how to make the addition chart.

I refused to memorize the tables when I was a kid, simply because I needed to understand what was taught to me before I could commit to making the effort, needless to say I graduated with the highest grades in Math later in life....and I still can't recite the tables...

See how I managed to include all that self appraise in just one reply? Pretty good hey?

Edited by AlQaholic

9 hours ago, AlQaholic said:

I refused to memorize the tables when I was a kid, simply because I needed to understand what was taught to me before I could commit to making the effort, needless to say I graduated with the highest grades in Math later in life....and I still can't recite the tables...

See how I managed to include all that self appraise in just one reply? Pretty good hey?

Oh Yeah, a regular 'prime' student.

On 3/23/2017 at 7:35 AM, fruitman said:

Some marketvendors even have issues with calculating the price of 2kg of mango's....2x60= uhhhh uhhhh, sakoernakab....:post-4641-1156694572::passifier:

Bought a tire at Mityon yesterday, price was 950 Baht. I paid with a 1000 Baht note, cashier used the calculator to know how much change she had to return.