Is The Term 'yellow' A Racist One?

Jookster

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know why but it always winds me up when people say "orientals". Some bird at work said said "oh, so your husband is oriental" & I felt like punching her in the face, but then again she is really annoying anyway so that might have been it. But does that word grate anyone else?

I honestly don't see anything in the least negative about "Oriental". To me, it seems a most exotic and useful word. :o

I've not heard 'yellow' used like 'black' or 'white' for many, many years, so I suppose the point is really moot :o

Anyway, Thai people are brown so what is the Thai connection?

Well Crossy Thai people can be brown in Isaan where you hang around but there are a lot of Thai people who are yellow, especially Thai-Chinese :D

I don't know why but it always winds me up when people say "orientals". Some bird at work said said "oh, so your husband is oriental" & I felt like punching her in the face, but then again she is really annoying anyway so that might have been it. But does that word grate anyone else?

I honestly don't see anything in the least negative about "Oriental". To me, it seems a most exotic and useful word. :o

"Oriental" is used to refer to furniture. "Asian" is the term that refers to people.

Thats as close to an answer as to why I find it annoying popshirt. :o In the Uk we use "asian" for mainly pakistani/indian people so if I have to group hubby geographically then I use "south east asian" as it is as specific as possible without using "thai"

I would say that referring to asians as yellow is derogatory and unkind, a generalization especially when you consider that they aren't all yellow and that they are actually many different skin tones.

As a diversion.....When I lived / worked in the Virgin Islands where the majority of the poulation is black, this was circulating through many offices as an amusing fax. When I saw it, I had to laugh.

When you are born, you are pink.

When I am born, I am black.

When you are sick, you are yellow.

When I am sick, I am black.

When you are angry, you are red.

When I am angry, I am black.

When you are cold, you are blue.

When I am cold, I am black.

When you are jealous, you are green.

When I am jealous, I am black.

When you stand in the sun, you are brown.

When I stand in the sun, I am black.

When you are afraid, you are white.

When I am afraid, I am black.

When you are old, you are grey.

When I am old, I am black.

AND YOU HAVE THE F*CKING NERVE TO CALL ME COLORED???

My girlfriend describes herself as yellow, and she is. Her friends do the same, and they mean her no slight. It's just plain silly how these descriptive words have taken on "racist" connotations. I used to spend time in Costa Rica, people would often use negro, nerito, blanco, flaco, gordo as descriptive terms among friends, or even strangers. They meant no ill will whatsoever. There are enough things to worry over, but I don't think this need be one.

My opinion is, people should try not to take words too seriously but focus rather on what really is in the mind of the person who is saying it. Give people the benefit of doubt if you are not sure what's in his mind. Afterall, language is just a tool to bring out what one has in his mind and language skill affects the usage of words.

One can say things that is very beautiful and nice for the ears but actually hates you like he11. Whilst some say things bad for the ears like I do but actually love you. :o

Like farangs getting angry being called farang. Luckily it seems that more and more members here understand the meaning of the word "farang", thanks to the constant education through discussions here on TV.

My girlfriend describes herself as yellow, and she is. Her friends do the same, and they mean her no slight. It's just plain silly how these descriptive words have taken on "racist" connotations. I used to spend time in Costa Rica, people would often use negro, nerito, blanco, flaco, gordo as descriptive terms among friends, or even strangers. They meant no ill will whatsoever. There are enough things to worry over, but I don't think this need be one.

we had the same in guatemala, honduras, too.. negro, for dark skinned Indians, gordo for fat or chubby folk, flaco for skinny folk, gringo for americans, etc... not meant in a derogatory manner, just as descriptives.

Although when folk called me gringo, i did have to mention that I am, in fact english. :o

Edited by kayo

:o We know not to cross you

I'm an oriental of Chinese descent. The term 'yellow' is offensive in so far as, I have never heard it being used in any context other than for derision of a person. I even consider the term 'oriental' slightly concerning. It's like the speaker is implying Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, Mongolians do not have their own identity, to warrant the distinction. Whereas of course the English are different from the State-siders, from the French, etc. You get my drift..? :o

I myself have never tried to use terms like whitey, blacks or any other form of slang which has negative historical connotations. It's just being respectful to the other person, no matter how much of a pr*ck they are. :D

Racism sucks, no matter how innocent or unintentional it may seem. If you choose to say it, your thinking is already tarnished by racism. :D

Well Crossy Thai people can be brown in Isaan where you hang around but there are a lot of Thai people who are yellow, especially Thai-Chinese

There are Thai Chinese in Isaan. They are not yellow, they are whiter than I. I used to be yellow when I lived in Bangkok, changed to brown when first moving to Issaan, now white. I wanna be black - as Lou Reed says-

I wanna be black, have natural rhythm

Shoot twenty foot of jism too

and ###### up the jews

I wanna be black, I wanna be a panther

Have a girlfriend named Samantha

and have a stable of foxy whores

Oh, oh, I wanna be black

I don't wanna be a ######ed up

middle class college student anymore

I just wanna have a stable of

foxy little whores

Yeah, yeah, I wanna be black

Oh, oh, I wanna be black

I wanna be black, wanna be like Martin Luther King

And get myself shot in the spring

And lead a whole generation, too

and ###### up the jews

I wanna be black, I wanna be like Malcolm X

And cast a hex

over President Kennedy's tomb

and have a big prick, too

Oh, I don't wanna be a ######ed up

middle class college student no more

Yeah, I just wanna have a

stable of foxy little whores

I wanna be black

I wanna be black

I wanna be black

I wanna be black

yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I wanna be black

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I wanna be black

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I wanna be black

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

(Yeah, yeah, I wanna be black, oh, oh)

Yellow is definitley a rascist term and should not be used to describe anybody.

The so called "yellow peril" helped to popularise this negative stereotype of Asian people.

I don't think it is so commonly used these days but there are a lot of other negative rascist terms out there.

As with most things a bit of cutural sensitivity goes a long way.

I certainly don't think describing or calling someone Asian is a problem however oriental does seem to offend some people so best not to use it. I am not sure why oriental would be considered offensive other than to suggest it may have something to do with the language used by many of the colonial powers that carved up Asis in the early part of the 20th century and it is a hangover from that era.

I honestly don't see anything in the least negative about "Oriental". To me, it seems a most exotic and useful word. :D

"Oriental" is used to refer to furniture. "Asian" is the term that refers to people.

In AMERICA, but in the UK, "Asian" means the same thing as Packy! :o

Many of these terms, when applied to a person, are derogatory and demeaning. The particular reference to "yellow" is very misleading because of the enormous size of Asia and the great variation in the skin color of the people here.

I try only to use any of these terms to assist someone else in finding a person, such as at a restaurant. Even that doesn't work very well--he's Asian about 5'5" with black hairs and brown skin--pretty much describes every male in the restaurant.

Much of terminology has to do with intent, however. You can be as PC as you want and still be offensive and demeaning to people. You can be as non-PC as possible and still not be offensive. So much as to do with what your intention.

Sicks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me.

Why should we be afraid of using certain terms? The politically correct brigade have said some people are offended by the use of these terms. Have they ever asked 'some people'? Black friends of mine are proud to call themselves black. An ex sister in law said to me "You hate me because I am black." "Sorry. Margaret, I hate you because you are Margaret!"

No more blackboards in schools, they are chalkboards. Come on, my white friends, let's get them to stop calling them chalkboards. The majority of chalk is white and we find your reference to us as chalk is offensive!

In children's literature, Thomas the Tank Engine - the Fat Controller has been renamed Sir Topham-Hatt so not to offend fat people. Noddy's friend Big Ears is now Grey Beard so as not to offend people with big ears but we can offend people with grey beards! And don't get me started on the first book that I ever read 'Little Black Sambo' (Just been reprinted by the way after been banned for many years)

When I was nursing, I was reprimanded for asking a patient did he want his brown slippers or his black ones. What else could I say? I apologise to the PC members for the use of 'patients', they are now clients, users or service recipients!

Words and phrases are fashion items, they come and they go. Yellow was in common use years ago but I think it is rare today. I could take offence at the MOBO awards, why isn't there the MOWO awards? The politically correct brigade have created a climate where people are to afraid to speak in case they offend someone. What will they think of next? We'll ban TV and movies showing car crashes because it may remind people of their own car crash. Scenes in funeral homes for those who have lost a loved one. Beer drinking scenes, offends certain religions and reformed drinkers.

If I have offended anyone then I apologise but I'll give you food (can't use that word - offensive to anorexics) for thought - don't you think that you may be being just a tad too sensitive?

Edited by gpt

Anyone remember golliwogs?

Am I rascist if I don't throw my old one out?

Darkie toothpaste ?

Noddy's friend Big Ears is now Grey Beard so as not to offend people with big ears but we can offend people with grey beards!

I have big ears - is it ok for me to call him 'big ears'? Kinda like it's ok for black people to call themselves 'nigga'.

Edited by Neeranam

Oriental is used to describe individuals or things from the East, just as Occidental is used to describe individuals or things from the West.

I've not heard 'yellow' used like 'black' or 'white' for many, many years, so I suppose the point is really moot :D

Anyway, Thai people are brown so what is the Thai connection?

brown is dangerous.....

go out of the door and call the next woman "brown"

that cause troubles........

call them: pink, yellow, violet, white or whatever but not brown or black :o:D :D

Oriental and Occidental are brit-centric terms.

Oriental is anything or anyone east of the former british empire and Occidental is anything of anyone west of the former british empire.

So are these words also suspect?

I prefer the Persian word farang. anyone not persian is farang.

so thai people are farang as are americans-brits etc...

Or should we use the hebrew word goyim, anyone not jewish is goyim

or should we use the muslim word kafir, anyone who is not muslim is kafir.

Every country/religion/nation has these terms for foreigners.ه

Oriental is used to describe individuals or things from the East, just as Occidental is used to describe individuals or things from the West.

And how common is the usage of "Occidental" ? Maybe in the age of Kipling, but not much since.

I probably should confess I often call one of my best friends who happens to be Asian, "my favourite ornamental". He always laughs, but, like most younger Asians, does not like to be referred to as oriental.

Oriental and Occidental are not 'Brit-centric terms'. At one time, the British Empire was worldwide so how can anything have been east or west of it?

Occident - The West i.e. the countries of Europe and the Americas

Orient - The East i.e. the countries of Asia esp. SE Asia.

Both words are from Latin 'of the setting sun' and 'of the rising sun'

We English use only one term for people who are not English - Johnny Foreigner :o

popshirt, this is the age of Kipling. After all, he does make exceedingly good cakes!

Edited by gpt

It really does come down to a bit of cutural sensitivity.

If a person or group of persons find a term offensive then far better not to use it.

What your think doesn't really come into the equation it is what the other party percieves that is offensive is what matters.

or should we use the muslim word kafir, anyone who is not muslim is kafir.

Every country/religion/nation has these terms for foreigners.ه

Too close to the Afrikaaner word kaffir meaning black person methinks.

Besides which I thought all us non-muslims are infidels.

I worked with a woman in the UK of Pakistani descent but used to speak with a broad Yorkshire (Leeds) accent. She'd very often, during periods of racial tension in Britain, refer to "those stoopid fookin' Pakis". When we told her "You can't say that!" she'd reply that Paki was not offensive being merely an abbreviated form of Pakistani.

Outright racism is in no way acceptable in a civilised society, however the PC brigade in Britain goes ways too far. All the PC nonsense is starting to have a reverse effect. People are starting to think, and say, "Stuff them they'll not tell me what I can and cannot say" and will use non PC terms as much as possible. The funny thing is, if you speak to people from ethnic groups in the UK most of them couldn't give a toss if we have Christmas lights, wear crucifixes or call it a blackboard they've got more important things to worry about.

I'm an oriental of Chinese descent. The term 'yellow' is offensive in so far as, I have never heard it being used in any context other than for derision of a person. I even consider the term 'oriental' slightly concerning. It's like the speaker is implying Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, Mongolians do not have their own identity, to warrant the distinction. Whereas of course the English are different from the State-siders, from the French, etc. You get my drift..? :o

I myself have never tried to use terms like whitey, blacks or any other form of slang which has negative historical connotations. It's just being respectful to the other person, no matter how much of a pr*ck they are. :D

Racism sucks, no matter how innocent or unintentional it may seem. If you choose to say it, your thinking is already tarnished by racism. :D

Do you even speak the chinese language?

Have you ever heard that song something like "the descendants of the dragon" which in the lyrics say "black eyes black hair and yellow skin"?

I suppose to describe you as chinese is racist already? Should I just call you a human being?

:D

I prefer the Persian word farang. anyone not persian is farang.

Don't you mean Siamese... as in from Siam (Thailand)?

NO I mean Persian. farang is a farsi word which means foreigner. thai have adopted the word in the last few centuries wheras in persian the word has a legacy of over 2 millenia