AIS Premium Channels - NO ENGLISH.

JaiMaai

I decided to go for the AIS package at 599.

I then found that The Fox Movie Channels and Nat Geo channels were all in Thai and could NOT be changed to English whatever settings combinations I tried

Phoned up to say I wanted to cancel and went through the charade of checking all the settings again before they reluctantly agreed to cancel it.

Be very careful before you subscribe to this. I'd wait until they sort the English out first.....

Anything is possible, but I bet it was a setting on your Playbox.    In the lower, far right corner of the AIS menu along the bottom of the screen where all the channels are listed there is a Setting selection.  You go into that area and you can change the soundtrack, subtitles, etc., and other settings to English...or select Thai...or select Other language.  I guess other means whatever the single soundtrack is that comes with a channels if it only carries one language.

But of course if there is no English being broadcast on a channel there would be no English soundtrack. However, those two channels come from the U.S. and should have an English sound track.

Don't confuse the above mentioned setting with the basic language setting in the Android setting area.

Here's an older post showing how to change the verbiage/audio settings to English...that way, if a channel has an English sound track it will play English...and the verbiage along the bottom of the screen where you select channels will change from Thai to English.

When the AIS techs installed my AIS Fibre plan and playbox in July 16 they knew how to set the Android basic language setting to English but did not know how to set the TV/movie channel sound track to default to English soundtrack/verbiage (if a channel has an English sound track).   The team told me the verbiage at the bottom of the screen could not be changed from Thai to English, but they were wrong. 

Went through all combinations of those settings, none of which gave English audio

I even remember in the days of CTH when I had to select Thai to get English on at least one of the CTH Stadium Channels.

I had the tech support guy telling me that English was available; then he said that it was 80% but from what I could tell it is definitely NOT available just now.

I've already cancelled anyway and the playbox is  back in its box where it will stay.

23 hours ago, JaiMaai said:

I decided to go for the AIS package at 599.

I then found that The Fox Movie Channels and Nat Geo channels were all in Thai and could NOT be changed to English whatever settings combinations I tried

Phoned up to say I wanted to cancel and went through the charade of checking all the settings again before they reluctantly agreed to cancel it.

Be very careful before you subscribe to this. I'd wait until they sort the English out first.....

Same thing happened to me and I did exactly the same... very disappointed.

I'm going to make no further comment on this topic until I see people posting that they are getting these channels in English. 

Let me be VERY, VERY CLEAR. I understand the difference between Android system settings and Application settings. When I tried there was no English on any channel at any time.

If you come back and tell me you can then I will accept that without question. I do not understand why you are dismissing not just my report but also the corroborating post on the other thread.

I'm no longer dismissing your report totally as discussed in post #7 based what the AIS rep told me this afternoon.  Yes, if what the AIS rep told me is true then certain premium channels do have a significant amount of Thai language only.   Like how the AIS rep said around 20% of the Nat Geo channel programming was in Thai only and the Fox Movies channel around 50%.  And the rep quickly said the Fox Premium channel is 100% English.   And the HBO/Cinemax channels that TrueVisions used to carry which were in English but now AIS has the broadcast rights the language is still in English.   

Just the title of this thread implies all the new premium channels are in Thai language only which is not true.  Take another review of my post #7.

Really no different than all the channels on TrueVisions....they don't tell you which ones are in Thai only, partially Thai or English, or fully English.  The channels are a mixture of Thai, English, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, etc.   I think we all wish there were more English channels provided by Thailand TV providers...but hey, this is Thailand where Thai is the language spoken by the great bulk of the population and it's the only language understood by the bulk of the population.

The AIS Platinum package comes with 33 premium channels. From looking at the logos for the different channels it seems obvious some will probably be in Chinese only (maybe with some Thai dubbing/subtitles) and this thread has pointed out some other channels are either partially or fully Thai audio although the channel logo would imply a channel should have an English soundtrack also.   Just like TrueVisions...lots of channels...some in Thai only, some in Chinese only, some in Korean only, some in English only,  some a mixture of available languages, etc..etc....etc.

So if a person wants every channel to be in English they might as well not sign-up with any TV provider in Thailand, be it AIS, TrueVisions, etc.      

Once my package activates 4 Apr I'll give all 33 channels a look and "listen" over  couple of days at different times during the day/night  And some of the channels I could really care less about regardless of the language(s) they are in.    We all have our different interests in TV viewing...some channels we never watch even if in English...some we do watch.

If the default language of those channels would ordinarily be English they should make it clear that they have changed that IMO, doesn't matter if it's True or AIS.  I don't recall getting any default English language channels in Thai with True.  And where has anyone said they want every channel in English?  You sometimes seem to go out of your way to misinterpret things!!

We have the True "Gold" package.Some foreign-originated channels are broadcast in Thai, but using our remote control they can be reset to English. However, it is necessary to re-do this every time we switch channels. Send me a Private Mail if you want a list of the channels I am referring to.

We have the True "Gold" package.Some foreign-originated channels are broadcast in Thai, but using our remote control they can be reset to English. However, it is necessary to re-do this every time we switch channels. Send me a Private Mail if you want a list of the channels I am referring to.

May not be necessary to change EVERY time if your box allows you to set the default language to English. The True boxes I've used usually did.

Archived