Tourist Visa into Retirement Visa

there is really no difference.  some feel getting in the home country (OA) is easier than doing it in thailand or a nearby embassy/consulate (O).  that is not how i feel about it but there are others that prefer the home country option.  using money in your home country (for an OA) rather than thailand is best for some.  but once you are on the extensions of these two items, it is really the same thing (both will require money in a thai bank for an extension).

when i first heard about the OA, i thought you had to go back to the USA approx every two years to get another one.  i thought 'how does one offer a retirement visa that requires a trip home every two years ??!!'.  but the folks on TV explained the whole 12 month extension part, so i got that figured out.

Just completed my conversion today. I know have a Non-O!
20170412_114535.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

On 4/12/2017 at 2:14 AM, canerandagio said:

Just completed my conversion today. I know have a Non-O!

no more tourist visas for you (or me) !!!  i'm starting to review the calendar for may to see what day is best for me to go and get the 12 month extension of stay.  i sure hope things go quick and i have the patience to get the multi re-entry permit that same day.

Just came across this thread when I was trying to find some info for a mate who needs to switch from a tourist visa to retirement visa in the next couple of month.

The main stumbling block for him is this requirement :

5.3 Evidence of foreign currency fund transferred to Thailand

He's got the money in the bank.  But it's been paid in via transfer from other Thai accounts or in cash.  ( No, he doesn't have a WP. )

Any simple solution?  Or does he have to find a way to take it all out, transfer it abroad then transfer it back in again.  

3 minutes ago, cheesyd said:

Just came across this thread when I was trying to find some info for a mate who needs to switch from a tourist visa to retirement visa in the next couple of month.

The main stumbling block for him is this requirement :

He's got the money in the bank.  But it's been paid in via transfer from other Thai accounts or in cash.  ( No, he doesn't have a WP. )

Any simple solution?  Or does he have to find a way to take it all out, transfer it abroad then transfer it back in again.  

His best option would be to go to a nearby embassy or consulate to get a single entry non-o visa. They don't ask for proof the funds came from abroad.

Roger . . . The usual passport copies, application form, photo plus . . . 

1. Curriculum Vitae 
2. Official letter from the concerned Embassy/Consulate certifying the monthly income of at least 
    65,000 Baht 
    or Official letter from the Bank in Thailand certifying a valid account of at least 800,000 Baht, 
    and is being held at least 3 months before visa application. 
3. Recent Police clearance or equivalent reference of no criminal conviction 
4. Medical certificate 

But is the police clearance from Thai police (  http://www.pcscenter.sb.police.go.th/eng/ ) or UK police.  If it's from the UK, he'd have to go back there to get it, which is a bit of a hassle. 

1. Curriculum Vitae 
2. Official letter from the concerned Embassy/Consulate certifying the monthly income of at least     65,000 Baht 
    or Official letter from the Bank in Thailand certifying a valid account of at least 800,000 Baht, 

and is being held at least 3 months before visa application. 
3. Recent Police clearance or equivalent reference of no criminal conviction 
4. Medical certificate 

But is the police clearance from Thai police (  http://www.pcscenter.sb.police.go.th/eng/ ) or UK police.  If it's from the UK, he'd have to go back there to get it, which is a bit of a hassle. .]

Ok, I thought Vientiane was asking for a police clearance and medical certificate, not Savannakhet

1 hour ago, Roger Lee said:

If Savannakhet, Laos consulate was used, what do they require there?

Proof of 800k baht in the bank on the date of application and proof of retirement from your embassy. Most people get a income letter to prove some small amount of income for the proof of retirement.

1 hour ago, cheesyd said:

But is the police clearance from Thai police (  http://www.pcscenter.sb.police.go.th/eng/ ) or UK police.  If it's from the UK, he'd have to go back there to get it, which is a bit of a hassle. 

Those are not required in Savannakhet for Penang.

Only Vientiane has been reported as want a basic medical certificate you get here in the country and the Thai police clearance.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Roger Lee said:

So just a notarized income statement from the consulate (US in my case) is all Savannakhet requires?

In your case it will be a income affidavit from the embassy. If it shows you have 65k baht income that is all you need.

• Like 1

Last question ( I hope ) Ubonjoe . . . 

. . .proof of retirement from your embassy.

As far as I know, he isn't drawing a pension. And isn't at statutory retirement age - just gone 50. So not sure how the Brit Embassy can confirm he's retired.  

So looks like Penang is the best option.  No police letter & no embassy letter required.

1 hour ago, cheesyd said:

Last question ( I hope ) Ubonjoe . . . 

As far as I know, he isn't drawing a pension. And isn't at statutory retirement age - just gone 50. So not sure how the Brit Embassy can confirm he's retired.  

So looks like Penang is the best option.  No police letter & no embassy letter required.

Penang ask for the same proof as Savannakhet.

It does not have to be pension income to get a income letter from the UK embassy. It can be any income.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Not True

If you are legally retired in your country and at least 50 years of age here in Thailand, you can retire here in Thailand on a Non O visa/annual extension.

You need to be retired and drawing a retirement pension in your home country.

For U.S. citizens this probably means being 65 years or older.

You can then enter Thailand on a 60 day tourist visa.

In the last 30 days of that tourist visa you can extend that visa for another 30 days by paying a 1900 Baht extension fee.

Now you can travel to Savannaket Laos  and apply for a 90 day non O visa based on retirement in Thailand.

When you get that Non O visa you use it to enter Thailand for 90 days.

During your time in Thailand you open a bank account in your name with a Thai bank.

You will need to deposit funds or prove your pension from outside Thailand.

If you deposit funds in your Thai Bank account of at least 800K Thai Baht OR

show a monthly pension of 65K Thai Baht, you can then extend that Non O visa you obtained in Laos for one year at a time.

You will need to show you have the funds in a Thai Bank for at least 60 days for approval of a one year extension to that 90 day visa you obtained in Laos.

And each year at extension time you will need funds in your bank or a monthly pension to get another year extension.

Big dumb American that I am, I did this in 2011 to retire in Bangkok, and I am still here 6 years later.

I extend my original Non O visa annually by having a pension paid monthly from the U.S. to my Bangkok Bank account each month, by direct deposit to my bank account.

If a big dumb American from a small diary farm town can figure out the rules, so can you.

Edited by IMA_FARANG
correct a typo

I have been in LoS for several years on a Retirement visa, granted as an extension of a non-Im O.  I have never been asked for a no criminal record check by the UK police or for any medical certificate.  Initially I kept the 800,000 in a USD account with HSBC but now I have a normal Kasikorn account in my own name.  Check, I believe that Kasikorn will only open a bank account for a Farang if they have some sort of residence.  I had a retirement visa when I opened my account.  Note that if you have a joint account with Khun Wife, or any account with 2 names, you must have 800,000 per name.  This was verbal ruling by Mae Sai Immigration.

Using Kasikorn  will cost 200B per year to get the required paperwork for Immigration.  Kasikorn know what is required.

The original visa has run for 3 or 4 years now with only a 365 day extension every year, but still requires all the bank paperwork every year.  Extension can only be made in the last 30 days of the existing visa, but some years ago the old Bangkok Immigration office let me do it 3 months early after I gave a written request to them, with the reason that I had to be away on business during the last month.  Not sure if this will apply now.

Last extension the Immigration officer said that I should get my bank passbook updated every month for 3 months before applying for an extension.  Kasikorn will only do this if you have a transaction in each month to update for.

Note if you passport runs out in the year of your visa extension, you will only get an extension for the validity of the passport.  When you get a new passport the old visa can be transferred to this, (with a huge fuss and lots of official stamping and you have to give them a photocopy of every page in old passport, but surprisingly, no charge for this service!)

I have done the 365 day extension in CW, Chiang Rai and Phayao Immigration and the same rules apply.  last time I applied for a Non-Imm O at London Embassy, I specifically asked for a visa to convert to a Retirement Visa, and there was no question of Criminal Record check or medical certificate.

Not True

If you are legally retired in your country and at least 50 years of age here in Thailand, you can retire here in Thailand on a Non O visa/annual extension.

You need to be retired and drawing a retirement pension in your home country.

WRONG

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

WRONG

Hello - newbie board member here, but long time visitor to the Kingdom. I have read through this thread and there is some great info here. Thanks to all that have contributed. I am an American. It appears that much of the info here is UK centric. I do not think that matters for my purposes.

I am beginning to make longer trips to Thailand now and am toying with the idea of relocating there. I would qualify for a non-O visa. I assume that would be more easily done in the US due to the Police record check stuff etc. I live in the Chicago area and there is a Thai Consulate in the city that I could file the forms through. I have already pulled them down from their web site and am looking them over. I think I can start filing for the non-O 90 days before my next visit. I usually stay in Jomtien and there is an immigration office there that I can use to modify the non-O to an METV.

Just curious if anyone sees any problems with what I am saying or if there is anything unique for US citizens.

2 hours ago, Chi Flyer said:

I am beginning to make longer trips to Thailand now and am toying with the idea of relocating there. I would qualify for a non-O visa. I assume that would be more easily done in the US due to the Police record check stuff etc. I live in the Chicago area and there is a Thai Consulate in the city that I could file the forms through. I have already pulled them down from their web site and am looking them over. I think I can start filing for the non-O 90 days before my next visit. I usually stay in Jomtien and there is an immigration office there that I can use to modify the non-O to an METV.

You would not be able to apply for a non-o visa at the official consulate in Chicago. You can only get a OA long stay visa there. The non-oa visa allows unlimited one year entries for a year from the date of issue. You can get almost 2 years of total stay from the OA if used correctly.

If you want a single entry non-o visa you would have to apply at one of the honorary consulates. See: http://thaiembdc.org/royal-thai-honorary-consulates-general-in-the-u-s/

7 minutes ago, canerandagio said:

I have a single entry non-O visa, for which I applied at the immigration office in Bangkok, where I arrived on a tourist visa. I did not have to leave the country (Thailand) to get it.

I put 800,000 baht in a thai bank account when I arrived here (Bangkok Bank let's you open an account as a tourist) and I am over 50. I filled a form, got a couple of letters from the bank, paid 2000 baht. No police check, no medical check.

Within 2 weeks I had my non-O visa valid 90 days for the purpose of retirement (see pic). Soon I'll extend it by 1 year and then I can renew year on year for life until the law changes. I will need a re-entry permit (I think 1000 baht single entry or 3800 baht multiple entry) if I want to leave the country.

Full instructions on how to go about that are above in this thread.

Just do everything in BKK, it'd dead simple, no need to get bogged down into the differences between O and OA. The fact of the matter is that if you want to stay here for retirement and meet the financial and age criteria then come as a tourist and sort yourself out here with a Non-Immigrant O visa. It's cheaper, no hassle and simple.

Regards,

straydog

20170412_114535.jpg

very good info.  tks.

Thanks great info.

I will be in the US for much of the next year and plan on leaving my main financial holdings with Charles Schwab. I have been told that I can open a US account with Bangkok Bank in the US and also a Thai Bangkok Bank Account, when in Thailand. The advantage of this house of cards is that I can transfer to Bangkok Bank (US) from Schwab at no cost and then transfer to Bangkok Bank (Thailand) at no cost and it is very quick. Also Schwab ATM withdraw costs in Thailand are reimbursed by Schwab as part of their international e-bank policy.

Edited by Chi Flyer
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Chi Flyer said:

I have been told that I can open a US account with Bangkok Bank in the US and also a Thai Bangkok Bank Account, when in Thailand. The advantage of this house of cards is that I can transfer to Bangkok Bank (US) from Schwab at no cost and then transfer to Bangkok Bank (Thailand) at no cost and it is very quick.

i opened a USD account at bangkok bank's main branch on silom rd.  which is where they house their foreign currency accounts.  i also opened a thai baht account with them (same branch).  to send money from wells fargo, i use the routing number for bangkok bank new york and my account number in thailand.  so i don't think you need to open an account with bangkok bank in the US.  that said, it can be a bit of a hassle to open an account in thailand and may be easier to do if you already have one with bangkok bank in the USA.

1 hour ago, Chi Flyer said:

Thanks great info.

I will be in the US for much of the next year and plan on leaving my main financial holdings with Charles Schwab. I have been told that I can open a US account with Bangkok Bank in the US and also a Thai Bangkok Bank Account, when in Thailand. The advantage of this house of cards is that I can transfer to Bangkok Bank (US) from Schwab at no cost and then transfer to Bangkok Bank (Thailand) at no cost and it is very quick. Also Schwab ATM withdraw costs in Thailand are reimbursed by Schwab as part of their international e-bank policy.

You cannot open an account at Bangkok Bank in New York.

You can open an account here and transfer the funds to by ACH via New York.

See: http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/ReceivingFundsfromUSA/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUSA.aspx

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chi Flyer said:

am beginning to make longer trips to Thailand now and am toying with the idea of relocating there. I would qualify for a non-O visa. I assume that would be more easily done in the US due to the Police record check stuff etc. I live in the Chicago area and there is a Thai Consulate in the city that I could file the forms through. I have already pulled them down from their web site and am looking them over.

i found the requirements for obtaining the O-A visa in the USA a bit cumbersome.  mainly because i'd been using thailand as my home base for many years before i turned 50 and qualified for the O-A (and O).  getting a police check and a medical record was possible but that combined with the mailing time back and forth on the visa itself, took too much time for my 30-60 day visits.  when i visit, i'm never in the same place long and rarely know where i'm headed next.  all my friends/family change plans constantly based on their work and family so i have to be very flexible on my schedule when i'm in USA.  i chose to convert a visa exempt entry to a non imm O in bangkok. 

if it is no problem for you, being in USA now for a long period of time, the O-A is a good option.  you can easily open a bank account in thailand with that visa (harder if you enter visa exempt or with tourist visa).  then you can transfer the money over for your extension of stay when the visa expires.  the O-A visa is valid for one year from the issue date.  if issued june 2017, you can leave and reenter thailand just before it expires (june 2018) and you will get another 12 months stay.  towards the end of that stay, you apply for the 12 months extension using the 800,000thb in a thai bank (or get the income letter from the US embassy in bangkok).

Edited by buick
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, canerandagio said:

I have a single entry non-O visa, for which I applied at the immigration office in Bangkok, where I arrived on a tourist visa. I did not have to leave the country (Thailand) to get it.

I put 800,000 baht in a thai bank account when I arrived here (Bangkok Bank let's you open an account as a tourist) and I am over 50. I filled a form, got a couple of letters from the bank, paid 2000 baht. No police check, no medical check.

Within 2 weeks I had my non-O visa valid 90 days for the purpose of retirement (see pic). Soon I'll extend it by 1 year and then I can renew year on year for life until the law changes. I will need a re-entry permit (I think 1000 baht single entry or 3800 baht multiple entry) if I want to leave the country.

Full instructions on how to go about that are above in this thread.

Just do everything in BKK, it'd dead simple, no need to get bogged down into the differences between O and OA. The fact of the matter is that if you want to stay here for retirement and meet the financial and age criteria then come as a tourist and sort yourself out here with a Non-Immigrant O visa. It's cheaper, no hassle and simple.

Regards,

straydog

Just to be sure and ,make things crystal clear for you, you cannot extend a visa but you can extend you permission to stay

which you obtained on the strength of the 90 day non O and when that 90 day visa expires you can, as you say, year on year

renew you extension of permission to stay, you no longer have, or need, a visa. Re-entry permits are 1000 Baht for single entry

and 3800 Baht for multi entry and last as long as your extension is valid. I would urge you to obtain at least a single re-entry

permit as soon as you have your extension, as it saves any panic should you find you need to leave the country for some or

other emergency, not absolutely necessary for anything other than peace of mind. 

If for some reason you leave without a re-entry permit your extension is no longer valid if/when you return and you will have 

to start the whole non O/extension process all over again.

Edited by phuketjock
addition
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, phuketjock said:

Just to be sure and ,make things crystal clear for you, you cannot extend a visa but you can extend you permission to stay

which you obtained on the strength of the 90 day non O and when that 90 day visa expires you can, as you say, year on year

renew you extension of permission to stay, you no longer have, or need, a visa. Re-entry permits are 1000 Baht for single entry

and 3800 Baht for multi entry and last as long as your extension is valid. I would urge you to obtain at least a single re-entry

permit as soon as you have your extension, as it saves any panic should you find you need to leave the country for some or

other emergency, not absolutely necessary for anything other than peace of mind. 

If for some reason you leave without a re-entry permit your extension is no longer valid if/when you return and you will have 

to start the whole non O/extension process all over again.

Thanks for the clarification, although just to ensure this is truly crystal clear: call it visa or call it 'permission to stay' there is no material difference, right?

As for  your second point, yes, I see the logic of securing a reentry permit, but last time I got one it was dead simple after passport control at Don Muaeng, at it took 10 minutes should I be worried that this may not be possible?

Thanks.

1 minute ago, canerandagio said:

Thanks for the clarification, although just to ensure this is truly crystal clear: call it visa or call it 'permission to stay' there is no material difference, right?

As for  your second point, yes, I see the logic of securing a reentry permit, but last time I got one it was dead simple after passport control at Don Muaeng, at it took 10 minutes should I be worried that this may not be possible?

Thanks.

There is a difference canerandagio a visa allows entry and cannot be extended, and in this case gives you the ability to apply

for an extension of your permission to stay, not a Visa extension, there is no such thing. If you allow your extension of your

permission to stay to expire by not renewing on time you will have to start the whole process from non O through extension

all over again. Your 90 day non O allows entry and stay for 90 days your extension of permission to stay allows indefinite 

permission to stay in Thailand provided you can meet the necessary criteria each year when you renew. So quite a substantial

material difference no?

You can, as you have already done once, do your re-entry permit on exiting the country, I always have one in my passport but

that's me I wouldn't think of taking the risk that I might hit some unforseen problem on my way out and end up having to go 

through the visa and extension route all over when I get back and just for the sake of a re-entry permit that is so easy to get

when I do my annual extension renewal. Your choice.

• Like 1