Mae Hong Son Declared As Disaster Area Due To Cold Weather

Jai Dee

Mae Hong Son declared as disaster area due to cold weather

Mae Hong Son Governor Direk Konkleeb (ดิเรก ก้อนกลีบ) has declared Mae Hong Son as a disaster area as the temperature in the province has slumped to 15 Celsius for three consecutive days. 8-9 Celsius is measured at mountain tops and 13 Celsius at the Muang Mae Hong Son District.

In the meantime, survey shows that cold sufferers from seven districts in the province need about 50,000 of blankets and 40,000 sweaters. As a result, the province, in collaboration with the Public Relations Department’s Channel 11, has mobilized donations for them.

At present, the donation has reached about 2.5 million baht.

The governor added that so far a lot of residents in the province have contracted respiratory diseases caused by cold weather.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 19 December 2006

OK., granted it is a tad chilly, particurly for Thais (I'm even feeling it a bit), but winter comes once a year and I doubt that it is the coldest on record.

Sure, distribute blankets and the like, but to declare it as "a disaster area" is surely going a bit over the top isn't it. :o

To me it is a bit like the boy why cried wolf.

Edited by john b good

OK granted it is a tad chilly, particurly for Thais (I'm even feeling it a bit), but winter comes once a year and I doubt that it is the coldest on record.

Sure, distribute blankets and the like, but to declare it as "a disaster area" is surely going a bit over the top isn't it. :o

To me it is a bit like the boy why cried wolf.

I figure, since MHS is so isolated, they have to declare it an emergency to get noticed..

Freezing Weather Hits Thailand, Burma Border Areas

6507-Refugee.gif

The northern border provinces of Thailand have been declared a disaster area following freezing temperatures which have hit rural residents and recent refugees from Burma especially hard.

The Mae Hong Son provincial office said temperatures hovered around 15 Celsius (59 degrees Fahrenheit) in Mae Hong Son city and temperatures were below freezing in more mountainous areas, including the border area of the Shan, Karen and Karenni states in Burma. Tak Province in Thailand was also declared a disaster area.

The temperature in Thailand's Pangmapha District, where an unofficial Shan refugee camp is located, was below 10 Celsius (50 degrees Fahrenheit) according to a provincial report on Wednesday.

A provincial official told The Irrawaddy there could be more than 100,000 people in the province in need of warm clothes and blankets. Almost all are ethnic villagers who live in rural areas or along the border with Burma.

Donations of clothing or blankets can be made to the Mae Hong Son or Tak provincial offices.

Heavy morning fog made road transportation difficult in many areas. Visibility was limited to 20 to 30 meters, according to reports.

In rural areas, many school children who do not have warm winter clothes were forced to attend classes outside in the sunlight.

Shet Reh, a Karenni refugee in Nai Soi Camp, Karenni 1, Maung District of Mae Hong Son Province, said the cold weather was especially hard on 300 newly arrived Burmese refugees who appeared with little or no possessions.

“The weather is getting cold very fast," he said. "Refugees who arrived in the camp this year don't have enough warm clothes and blankets." Refugees who have lived in the camp for a longer period have already received blankets and winter clothing from NGOs, he said.

The refugees' living conditions should improve as the public becomes more aware of their situation. The winter weather is expected to continue until late February.

Source: The Irrawaddy - 21 December 2006