No Booze For New Year?

Crow Boy

I had an interesting conversation with a friend of mine who owns a bar in Chiang Mai. He was intending on having a all night party for New Year and when he spotted the local Licensing Copper on his fortnightly rounds asked him if he could prepay his "special event" license fee. :o

He was then stunned when the officer told him that the Government is looking at closing ALL farung bars in an effort to reduce the amount of drunken behaviour usually displayed by locals and tourists at this time of year. :D

This would be essentially the same as happens whenever we have (had) an election etc - bars closed, no alcohol to be sold in 7-11 stores etc, can have a drink with dinner but not after 8:30pm at night etc.

I have now heard this story a couple of times and it would make sense given the Government's stance on reducing alcohol consumption for Thais. This restriction would mainly affect foreigners so will have minimal effect on the locals.

Has anyone got any additional information on this - not sure whether to buy a couple of cartons early or break out the home brew.

Last night heard a rumour that there would be no bars open in Pai on Christmas eve....

any news on that, anyone?

For the past two years the expats here have been carol singing around the streets, to raise cash for the kids ward in the hospital, but if the bars are shut....cannot see much cash being raised......sad!

I had an interesting conversation with a friend of mine who owns a bar in Chiang Mai. He was intending on having a all night party for New Year and when he spotted the local Licensing Copper on his fortnightly rounds asked him if he could prepay his "special event" license fee. :o

He was then stunned when the officer told him that the Government is looking at closing ALL farung bars in an effort to reduce the amount of drunken behaviour usually displayed by locals and tourists at this time of year. :D

This would be essentially the same as happens whenever we have (had) an election etc - bars closed, no alcohol to be sold in 7-11 stores etc, can have a drink with dinner but not after 8:30pm at night etc.

I have now heard this story a couple of times and it would make sense given the Government's stance on reducing alcohol consumption for Thais. This restriction would mainly affect foreigners so will have minimal effect on the locals.

Has anyone got any additional information on this - not sure whether to buy a couple of cartons early or break out the home brew.

Sinceyour Friend has a "local Licensing Copper on his fortnightly rounds" he must be doing something illegal, why else pay?

The Main police in CM have confirmed that this is false and have asked who the bar owner is and who the "the local Licensing Copper on his fortnightly rounds".!! Please do NOT reply, I do NOT want involved.