Do many Thais hate us, because they feel we've much more than them?

I went to Patts once and straight away noticed the difference in "acceptance" from where I live. So my thoughts were that farang holiday folk still have their homeland attitude in LOS which Thai folk can read. Of course they didn't know I have lived up country for years, to them just another tourist...

I'm upcountry on holiday meeting lots of Thai people and they are all nice people. Beats most people I encounter in America.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find most Thais to be chronically ignorant of everything that goes on in the West. They believe the garbage they see on TV and think it accurately reflects farang life. Pensions and annuities are something i have tried to explain to them with little success. I think many of them believe that I draw an income from drug deals or perhaps selling the organs of Thai babies.

22 minutes ago, Chip Allen said:

I find most Thais to be chronically ignorant of everything that goes on in the West. They believe the garbage they see on TV and think it accurately reflects farang life. Pensions and annuities are something i have tried to explain to them with little success. I think many of them believe that I draw an income from drug deals or perhaps selling the organs of Thai babies.

Most of them dont care. Why would they?  If they happy in Thailand why worry about western life?

30 minutes ago, BigKahuna said:

Most of them dont care. Why would they?  If they happy in Thailand why worry about western life?

By the same logic, why would Chinese, Vietnamese and Indonesians have any reason to know about Western life? They DO tend to know a lot about America and Britain, as well as most other western countries. Thailand is a great exception because of its education system.

Just now, Chip Allen said:

By the same logic, why would Chinese, Vietnamese and Indonesians have any reason to know about Western life? They DO tend to know a lot about America and Britain, as well as most other western countries. Thailand is a great exception because of its education system.

Ive met heaps of people from those countries who know didley! They ask basic questions cause they dont know what goes on.

If Thais are so stupid why are you interested in the country?

Maybe Thais just dont care about the country you come from.

Just now, BigKahuna said:

Ive met heaps of people from those countries who know didley! They ask basic questions cause they dont know what goes on.

If Thais are so stupid why are you interested in the country?

Maybe Thais just dont care about the country you come from.

It's cheap to live here. I lived among stupid people in the USA, so Thais show me some of the same racism and ignorance that I encountered back home. The low cost of living makes it a bit palatable. I won't ignore it or stop complaining merely because Thais 

ignore it. It's their culture to see themselves as above criticism. I see this everyday.

Just now, Chip Allen said:

It's cheap to live here. I lived among stupid people in the USA, so Thais show me some of the same racism and ignorance that I encountered back home. The low cost of living makes it a bit palatable. I won't ignore it or stop complaining merely because Thais 

ignore it. It's their culture to see themselves as above criticism. I see this everyday.

What racism exists around you? Do they not let you on buses or not serve you?

I find most Americans ignorant and uninterested in Asia.

1 hour ago, kunfish said:

I find most Americans ignorant and uninterested in Asia.

a big exception are Americans living in Asia, especially those in Thailand. i swear all holy oaths that i met several Americans who are aware that they are not living in Thai-Wan (or whatever that country is called who's capital is Taipei). :smile:

4 minutes ago, Naam said:

a big exception are Americans living in Asia, especially those in Thailand. i swear all holy oaths that i met several Americans who are aware that they are not living in Thai-Wan (or whatever that country is called who's capital is Taipei). :smile:

Some of them actually mingle with the people instead of being sheltered amongst servants making only haughty remarks online. :)

Good to know there is a glimmer of hope in this world.

thais are as racist and xenophobic as is possible , outside of africa; we KNOW where we live and finally understanding thainess is a REAL letdown; o let it come on; go home'; we have lived here a long time and , SORRY, we know you; far, far better than you will ever know us

Just now, YetAnother said:

thais are as racist and xenophobic as is possible , outside of africa; we KNOW where we live and finally understanding thainess is a REAL letdown; o let it come on; go home'; we have lived here a long time and , SORRY, we know you; far, far better than you will ever know us

So what real problems do you face?

36 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

Some of them actually mingle with the people instead of being sheltered amongst servants making only haughty remarks online. :)

it is their prerogative to mingle and they have my blessings to mingle 24/7, 365 days p.a. and 366 days in a leap year. and if they try hard hard and skip lunch break they might be able to mingle 25/7.

2 minutes ago, Naam said:

it is their prerogative to mingle and they have my blessings to mingle 24/7, 365 days p.a. and 366 days in a leap year. and if they try hard hard and skip lunch break they might be able to mingle 25/7.

Words more true have never been spoken. Is it any wonder you are the TV poster of the year? 

19 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

thais are as racist and xenophobic as is possible , outside of africa

we lived several years in Africa and now since nearly twelve years in Thailand. haven't met any racist or xenophobic African or Thai. is that behaviour perhaps a reciprocal reaction?

Just now, Naam said:

we lived several years in Africa and now since nearly twelve years in Thailand. haven't met any racist or xenophobic African or Thai. is that behaviour perhaps a reciprocal reaction?

Or just a pc lefty playing one of the cards.

Haven't had any problems here in Thailand in the 5 x 2 week vacations. I know I will go back to work next week in the states with bright, intelligent coworkers who don't want to be around brown people and certainly don't want their kids commingling.

White America is highly racist and ignorant even if they don't show it.

5 minutes ago, Naam said:

Try leaving your house now and then. I can't believe you wouldn't have met even one on either continent.

On 3/26/2017 at 11:53 AM, true word said:

I'll tell you one thing I'm sure of, Thai people will never pay back your money.

I lent 50,000 baht to a Thai girl and she paid it all back.   Not a girlfriend, just a regular friend who needed a hand.

I also lent 20,000 to a Thai guy I know and he paid me back and insisted on paying my 2000 extra as interest, despite me not asking for any.  

Neither of them have ever asked to borrow money again but I'd certainly help them out in they asked again.

Good to hear. God, I'm tired of this toilet comments about people. Jesus, people are people and pick the right people to lend to.

Deadbeats everywhere. Why do thirst posts exist...

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that this is the case. I have seen it constantly as a tourist and now as a resident in retirement. Thais simply cannot wrap their heads around the fact that I have an upper-middle class Thai income for doing absolutely nothing. There is also the feeling (sometimes stated, sometimes not) that there is something vaguely dishonest about my income, as if Thais have been cheated of something because I have an income that allows me to live well in this country. "Americah....big, big money...think they own the world." :shock1:  There is also the totally bogus belief that those who WORK here are taking jobs away from Thais. Sure.....learn English from a Thai and see if you'll ever be understood in an English-speaking country. :sleep: These people are beyond belief.

Hmmm....seems opposite to my experience. Perhaps they are reacting to you, in the way you interact or act among them? There sure are enough expats who do arrogantly think they are 'above' Thai people.