Do many Thais hate us, because they feel we've much more than them?

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To those who feel "hated" by Thais, I'd suggest looking inward for possible explanations as to why.

While Thais are not exempt from the human condition, and sometimes experience pangs of jealousy or resentment just like everyone else, to suggest that this is an overriding sentiment felt towards foreigners isn't supported by the day-in day-out experiences of most foreigners living here. 

Social media, the internet, and TV have made most Thais well aware that plenty of Thais and foreigners around the world enjoy a high level of affluence, often - it should be noted - far above what the typical expat in Thailand enjoys. For example, there is always a drama or two on Thai TV depicting obscenely rich Thai families which make most expats look like paupers in comparison. The notion that the local natives are overly jealous of one's wealth sounds rather conceited to my ear.

6 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

To those who feel "hated" by Thais, I'd suggest looking inward for possible explanations as to why.

While Thais are not exempt from the human condition, and sometimes experience pangs of jealousy or resentment just like everyone else, to suggest that this is an overriding sentiment felt towards foreigners isn't supported by the day-in day-out experiences of most foreigners living here. 

Social media, the internet, and TV have made most Thais well aware that plenty of Thais and foreigners around the world enjoy a high level of affluence, often - it should be noted - far above what the typical expat in Thailand enjoys. For example, there is always a drama or two on Thai TV depicting obscenely rich Thai families which make most expats look like paupers in comparison. The notion that the local natives are overly jealous of one's wealth sounds rather conceited to my ear.

Your analysis is well presented but I don't think the average Thai examines things that deeply. Xenophobia is rife here and although wealthy Thais get respect that is not due them, farangs tend to be resented and distrusted. There is the unspoken and unproven feeling that we are profiting at the expense of Thai people.

Your analysis is well presented but I don't think the average Thai examines things that deeply. Xenophobia is rife here and although wealthy Thais get respect that is not due them, farangs tend to be resented and distrusted. There is the unspoken and unproven feeling that we are profiting at the expense of Thai people.

I found that some Thais do seem to change their opinion of "the dreaded farang" after they get to know you a bit and can see that we are just as human as they are,dont have our own private "money tree" and dont bite the heads off little babys !
:lol: