Link old and new passport ?

Hi everybody ! :)

I have to go get my new passport at the french consulate in Phuket as my old one is full. But i have to give them the old one in order to cancel it but what about my tourist visa (who finish soon)? Is there a procedure that I have to do to ?

Also,  I had a red stamp on my third and last visa application in Penang two months ago. What if i go there for another tourist visa the new passport ?

Thanks a lot..!

When you get your new passport, and travel out of the country (by air), then they will transfor your last entry stamp to your new passport, and stamp you out in the new passport. They will put a note saying, that you got a new passport,and what your old passport number is.

Normally the embassy's and consulates, will only look in the passport, to see how many stickers you have. 

But the immigration, in Thailand, can see the full history of your entrys. The passports will be linked.

3 hours ago, 1ricardsvp said:

Also,  I had a red stamp on my third and last visa application in Penang two months ago. What if i go there for another tourist visa the new passport ?

The red stamp in your old passport should ultimately not be an issue. However, I suggest you not make Penang your first visa run on the new passport. They might possibly recognize you and do a quick check using the date on the transferred entry stamp against their records. This is especially true if you flew from Penang on the date you received the red stamp. They are less likely to check once they see a visa from somewhere else.

Edited by BritTim

7 hours ago, somethingnice said:

When you get your new passport, and travel out of the country (by air), then they will transfor your last entry stamp to your new passport, and stamp you out in the new passport. They will put a note saying, that you got a new passport,and what your old passport number is.

Normally the embassy's and consulates, will only look in the passport, to see how many stickers you have. 

But the immigration, in Thailand, can see the full history of your entrys. The passports will be linked.

I think it depends on the immigration. In my case, nothing got transferred. He did only tack together the 2 passports. No link.

1 hour ago, alocacoc said:

I think it depends on the immigration. In my case, nothing got transferred. He did only tack together the 2 passports. No link.

That strikes me as really odd. Where was this done, when, and how were the passports joined together? With modern passports, anything that pierced the passport covers would cause serious damage, probably rendering the passport unsuitable for use.

30 minutes ago, BritTim said:

That strikes me as really odd. Where was this done, when, and how were the passports joined together? With modern passports, anything that pierced the passport covers would cause serious damage, probably rendering the passport unsuitable for use.

Jomtien.

the usa consulate in c mai issues a letter with their new passport indicating that the new passport is an official legit 'document'; then i took the old passport, the new passport and the letter to thai immig for my most recent 1 year and no issue; they did however photocopy every page in the old passport and i had to initial all of them; i had added pages to the old passport so there were a LOT of pages

So yes in any case, i don't have to give my old passport to the french consulate..

BritTim i agree with you i think i will go to Lao for the next visa. But i get my new passport and keep the old one, should i go to the Phuket immigration for link them or just fly to Lao and present both passports to the immigration in airport ?

And thanks to all who answered already :)

Edited by 1ricardsvp

3 minutes ago, 1ricardsvp said:

So yes in any case, i don't have to give my old passport to the french consulate..

BritTim i agree with you i think i will go to Lao for the next visa. But i get my new passport and keep the old one, should i go to the Phuket immigration for link them or just fly to Lao and present both passports to the immigration in airport ?

And thanks to all who answered already :)

The linking of your immigration records using the old passport is done the first time you enter the country using your new passport.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

The linking of your immigration records using the old passport is done the first time you enter the country using your new passport.

Ok, There was an topic who someone reported he got refused to enter because of too many visas. I guess that was an single incident, otherwise we would hear more such stories. And I would get refused as well since I got countless visas on all my passports. Or I'm only lucky? Nobody knows.

9 minutes ago, alocacoc said:

Ok, There was an topic who someone reported he got refused to enter because of too many visas. I guess that was an single incident, otherwise we would hear more such stories. And I would get refused as well since I got countless visas on all my passports. Or I'm only lucky? Nobody knows.

The primary reason the search is done of previous passport records is to find those that have been blacklisted, denied entry, deported and etc.

Without some additional searching an officer would normally only see your most recent entries and departures.

The rare cases of people being denied entry may not always have the  full storey revealed.

• Like 1